Rodgers Odds on for Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If this happens I have a terrible feeling we'll live to regret not making a decisive move for him. Whether or not the two will work out together remains to be seen, as ever but I have felt for a long time Rodgers has the makings of something special.

So they just agree to buy Sigurdsson and Rodgers could be walking out on them(if true) bit cuntish.

Why would he go? King Spenny is a Liverpool hero and they sacked him for not finishing in top 4, he even won them a trophy ffs.

If Rodgers goes and doesn't have a great start the micky mousers will all start singing King Spennys name again and Rodgers will be out the door. Failing that he'll have to finish top 4 to secure his job for another season.

Rodgers is still a man learning his trade and I think he knows this. He is a good young manager and their is plenty of time for him to move onto a "bigger" club.

Personally I'd rather us all make our assessment of him after the 2nd difficult season where traditionally clubs like Swansea struggle and see how good he really is.

Rodgers is still mindful of the Reading fiasco, tried to change to much too quickly and it backfired.

He's not in a rush to receive accolades, seems to have a level head in some ways, and if so, will know that the Liverpool managers job is still something of a poisoned chalice. Could set his career back by years if he went there. And that is being objective about it all.

Where has this link come from??!!

Rodgers plain refused to talk to Liverpool 10 days ago saying he wasn't interested in the job at all.

Brendan Rodgers 'no' to Liverpool talks but Roberto Martinez in frame

Swansea's Brendan Rodgers has turned down the chance to speak with Liverpool about their vacant managerial position.
Kenny Dalglish was sacked as Reds manager on Wednesday, leaving the club looking for a fourth boss in two years.
A Swansea statement said: "The club is pleased to confirm that Brendan has declined the opportunity to speak about the vacant position."

They have released a statement saying Liverpool haven't made any further approaches.

Anyhow, the way Liverpool treat managers, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers suffers a similar fate to AVB.

if they did go for him it would be classic liverpool, always going after flavour of the month british players that end up being bang average. Now they want to do the same with the manager (and I count Martinez in that too, even if he's Spanish)

Not saying either of them are crap, but I really don't think they are ready to step into a job as big as that in this day and age. Give Rodgers 3 seasons there and I'm sure he'll work wonders, but he won't even get 3 weeks if they don't win every game.

I don't think the role is that big to be honest. They're not one of the top 6 teams in the land. Haven't been for a few years, it's all just history which makes them think they could get the likes of Guardiola or Mourinho

Raitei said:
I don't think the role is that big to be honest. They're not one of the top 6 teams in the land. Haven't been for a few years, it's all just history which makes them think they could get the likes of Guardiola or Mourinho
It's worse than their midtableness from a prospective manager's point of view. They have huge money sunk into unsellable, overpriced assets. Combine this money spent with the crazily deluded and overexpectant fans, plus the fact that you are following one of the biggest legends at the club ever, and you have perhaps the worst job available in football. The fans will hate you for not being Kenny and you'll be expected to qualify for the Champions League with mediocre players that are irreplaceable due to their price tags. Plus you'll have to work with Luis Suarez on a daily basis. The one thing they can offer is money. The only managers with any remote interest in this role should be Championship/unemployed managers.

yiddo2786 said:
Raitei said:
It's worse than their midtableness from a prospective manager's point of view. They have huge money sunk into unsellable, overpriced assets. Combine this money spent with the crazily deluded and overexpectant fans, plus the fact that you are following one of the biggest legends at the club ever, and you have perhaps the worst job available in football. The fans will hate you for not being Kenny and you'll be expected to qualify for the Champions League with mediocre players that are irreplaceable due to their price tags. Plus you'll have to work with Luis Suarez on a daily basis. The one thing they can offer is money. The only managers with any remote interest in this role should be Championship/unemployed managers.
You could change little more than three or four words in that paragraph and be talking about Newcastle.

VirginiaSpur said:
You could change little more than three or four words in that paragraph and be talking about Newcastle.
Do Newcastle have a lot of expensive dead wood? I see the bar codes as a team on the rise, and I'd back them to finish above Liverpool this season under nearly all circumstances.

Raitei said:
They are still 8th on the list of most valuable clubs. They carry that insufferable expectation culture that England carry around with them. Every year must be a league winning one.

I was talking more about the crazily deluded and overexpectant fans. No, going into the Championship for a year slashed their deadwood, but I was more talking about Alan Shearer leading them a couple of years ago.

I back them too. They're well put together, but it's still a nearly suicidal place to manage.

VirginiaSpur said:
I was more talking about Alan Shearer leading them a couple of years ago.
That makes a lot more sense. It's funny how I've come to like the post-relegation NUFC. They're as much of a threat now for top 4 as they were just before relegation (at least in my imagination), but now I welcome the competition.

I would venture to guess that, of the clubs that could conceivably beat us to fourth next year, Newcastle is the one whose doing so I would mind the least. Which means I would only be furious 99% of the time.

But it's all academic. We're gunning for more than fourth.

Most Newcastle fans I know were pretty delighted with 5th this year. I suppose it's quite possible their expectations will rise beyond that next year.

yiddo2786 said:
Most Newcastle fans I know were pretty delighted with 5th this year. I suppose it's quite possible their expectations will rise beyond that next year.

Yeah but they'd all assumed that Mike Ashley was trying to sabotage the club by selling Carroll, Nolan and Barton........fact is he was right with all of them and had the expertise in the backroom staff to improve on them for less money

how the mighty have fallen- Liverpool FC take Swansea manager- not actually the big name they need. Really strange one- whatever you say they are a massive massive club- second biggest in England with a massive fan base around the globe etc- the new owners surely would want to not mess up again- how is Rodgers going to guaranmtee 4th spot...sorry 3rd spot to get CL footie?

They could have waited until after the Euros as that always has an effect on whose available..u could have managers of say Netherlands, Germany France Spain all looking for work

Back
Top Bottom