Rival schools

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Word. I used to own a now defunct record store about 10 years ago and all we sold was punk/hardcore/metal (and all of the crazy sub genres that are encompassed). Awful business model when I look back on it, but it was fun.

Also, my dog is named Bronson. Because I used to love Charles Bronson the band back in the day.

Powerviolence :adethumbup:

Sorry us post-hardcore nerds bogarted your thread, article dude.
INCOMING
PunkShow.jpeg

As a 30 year old I'd rather listen to Peter Gabriel era Genesis and Clutch....so basically my taste in music is still totally shitty.

I still bust out the punk/hardcore/metal every now and again, but I certainly don't keep up with the new stuff and I mostly listen to classic rock or jazz.

Returning briefly to the article...is this Adam Beale some sort of cunt?

I've read two articles by this bell-end, one suggests the Tottenham way is an outdated formation we can never return to rather than a footballing ethos to aspire to, and now this shit about not understanding the rivalry with Woolwich. Seriously, I know it is unethical (or possibly illegal) to put a human down in the veterinary sense, so maybe we could just stop publishing his nonsensical musings instead? It's just kind of embarrassing to have on the main blog, the words of an apparent hipster who seems more than happy to tag himself as a Spurs fan after his dad put him in a room with some pictures, but seems to refuse to understand what it means to be a Spurs fan.

Anyway, back off topic...

This game...I'll kick yo ass!!

Thats the one! Lol

You know this game too? I'll kick yo ass at it also!!

Team Hideo / Batsu!!

I still bust out the punk/hardcore/metal every now and again, but I certainly don't keep up with the new stuff and I mostly listen to classic rock or jazz.

I think that as I get older I just don't feel like taking the time to weed out the good shit from the bad. I'll listen to the occasional new band, but it's honestly very rare. I still love me some good stoner metal though, so I'm more prone to give those bands a chance (ie Red Fang).

Its local rivalry, of course we want to beat the neighbours more than anyone else.
This strikes me as an article written by someone who treats Spurs as merely something to talk about on Twitter

I have supported Tottenham for over twenty years, but I have a confession to make. Something that I have never told anyone before, something that I feel I need to say. I have never understood the North London rivalry.

http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tottenham-hotspur-v-Woolwich-premier-league-163009342-1362345070-300x200.jpgIn fact, I don’t understand most footballing rivalries. They seem petty and irrelevant at times. At base level they are simply name calling and the chance to shout or, with the advent of social media, type expletives at rival fans, adding a few exclamation marks for emphasis.

I simply can not comprehend the constant hate directed at just one team. I never felt the need to shout abuse at Woolwich fans or get in the faces of the friends I have that support Woolwich, even when we manage a win. It seems to me to be a huge waste of time and energy.

I have of course, in the midst of my fellow Spurs fans at White Hart Lane, always joined in with the anti-Woolwich chants, however, I was young, stupid and driven by mob mentality and the willingness to feel part of the group.

I get rivalries. I get that they add another dimension to the fixture but is this really where we should be channeling our energy?

I never felt the need to shout abuse at Woolwich fans or get in the faces of the friends I have that support Woolwich
People often roll out the cliché, “It makes things more interesting” or “It spices up the game”. Anymore so than any other game which is just as important in which we need to secure three points?

When the new season’s fixtures are released, fans immediately search for the North London derby and mark this out as a must win game. Shouldn’t all our games be must win?

Why so much pressure and anticipation for just two games of a 38 game season?

Fans seem to remember where they were when we were beaten by Woolwich season in and season out but fail to register when we are beaten by West Ham three times in a season.

I don’t think it makes you any less of a fan to not get involved in these seemingly meaningless exchanges or to live up to the “famous” North London rivalry by slagging off other fans you have never met.

When I’m streaming a Tottenham game, I always have my Twitter feed open. At times it’s more entertaining than the game, but it also gives me more of a feeling of collective togetherness and that I’m not alone in my suffering or, at times, jubilation.

I enjoy what the kids these days call ‘banter’ between the so called rival clubs and the general mickey taking that goes hand in hand with competitive sport. But what I dislike about Twitter and in particular about following your team and fellow supporters is the repugnant, hate filled, vicious vitriol that filters it’s way in to my timeline.

I am often a passive observer to these tweets, who unfortunately gets to witness some of the utterly pathetic drivel that gets put on Twitter by all fans, Tottenham included. I often see retweets by people who feel the same as me and can’t believe some of the ridiculous things that get said. Others, retweet because they think it’s ‘banter’ and seek to add fuel to the fire or simply rise to the bait.

But what really irks me is the way Woolwich and Tottenham fans regularly target each other in these hate filled ways. I feel ashamed at times when I see the utter senselessness of some of the conversations that take place. Hashtags such as #FOYS, #foreverinourshadow,#northlondonisours and it goes on. Constant slagging matches take place that seem to go on for hours and even days.

Where do these people find the time and energy? But of course this is just an extension of the rivalry but goes some way to highlight just how obsessed either side is with the other.

What I dislike about Twitter is the repugnant, hate filled, vicious vitriol that filters it's way in to my timeline
I am by no means suggesting that the rivalry is dispensed with, and I could never envisage a season without some sort of ‘banter’, but is the hate and anger really necessary? At the end of the day what does it really get us? Bragging rights? A new chant at the next game?

Imagine if we could channel this energy into something more positive and evenly balanced across the season. Placing emphasis equally on all games, getting players and fans to treat all games as derbies, leaving the bitterness and hate aside for other teams to deal with. Using the time and energy normally spent writing poorly worded rebuttals to a rival fan on actually discussing where things went right and wrong.

Think before you tweet. Instead of rising to the bait, take a moment to consider your response. Firstly, is it worth it?

Secondly, make your response measured and well thought out. It doesn’t need to be filled with expletives and jibes at the other team. If that team deserved the win, say so. Even go as far as to compliment them on the way they performed. The other person will either spontaneously combust through confusion at the refusal to sink to their depths or they will become pacified and actually repay the compliment. Try it, you might like it.

Look at the history. If they hadn't decided to move in next door and bribe their way into the top devision at our expense we would almost certainly be one of the elite teams in Europe with a gigantic fan base in North London.

I see football in a completely different way to the writer of the article. I think football is too sanitised rather than the opposite. I hate to see Spurs and Woolwich players shake hands and swap shirts after a match. But I guess being a Spurs fan means different things to different people.

Back
Top Bottom