RIP Johan Cruyff

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sad news, he was a truly astonishing football player and manager. He was always ahead of the curve, not just on the pitch but also off it. Responsible for two incredible teams - three in fact, Holland, Ajax and Barcelona.

Not a terrible legacy.

History - Vic Buckingham
The above was posted last year in here, it is a fantastic read about Spurs player Vic Buckingham and his influence on "Total Football".
Read another today, curtesy of Windy: Vic Buckingham: the Englishman history forgot
Was just about to mention this. Everyone ignores Buckingham, but he and Arthur Rowe were right at the heart of what was going to be called total football, and are completely forgotten. And they both developed those ideas from the tactics of Peter McWilliam's Spurs teams. A history of Tottenham is like a secret history of football. Everyone credits the Austrians in the 30s, the Russians in the 40s and the Hungarians in the 50s, but Spurs were a big part of this too. By being English (and therefore unable to be innovators) and considered footballing heretics by the UK footballing community at the time, we get no credit.

Was just about to mention this. Everyone ignores Buckingham, but he and Arthur Rowe were right at the heart of what was going to be called total football, and are completely forgotten. And they both developed those ideas from the tactics of Peter McWilliam's Spurs teams. A history of Tottenham is like a secret history of football. Everyone credits the Austrians in the 30s, the Russians in the 40s and the Hungarians in the 50s, but Spurs were a big part of this too. By being English (and therefore unable to be innovators) and considered footballing heretics by the UK footballing community at the time, we get no credit.
There is letter from Arthur Rowe's son to one of the broadsheets at the time England were about to play Hungary in a qualifying game explaining his father's role on the rise of their national team if I can find it I will post it.

There is letter from Arthur Rowe's son to one of the broadsheets at the time England were about to play Hungary in a qualifying game explaining his father's role on the rise of their national team if I can find it I will post it.
That would be awesome. He went over there on a lecture tour just before the war and was going to coach there, but came home instead (because of the war). Bit of a tragedy, as he was getting on really well with Puskas and Sebes, who he'd been talking with during the lecture series. His nervous breakdown was perhaps our biggest blow, since he did so much to get the ball rolling for everything that followed. If he'd been able to hand off to Nicholson, and then back him as part of the board, Spurs could have been a very different animal.

Yes, a true legend of the world game. I was lucky enough to see him in both games in 1983, and although he was at the end of his playing career, he still had a touch of class that was a joy to behold. Definitely should have played for us. RIP

Back
Top Bottom