RIP Johan Cruyff

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That would be awesome. He went over there on a lecture tour just before the war and was going to coach there, but came home instead (because of the war). Bit of a tragedy, as he was getting on really well with Puskas and Sebes, who he'd been talking with during the lecture series. His nervous breakdown was perhaps our biggest blow, since he did so much to get the ball rolling for everything that followed. If he'd been able to hand off to Nicholson, and then back him as part of the board, Spurs could have been a very different animal.
That would be awesome. He went over there on a lecture tour just before the war and was going to coach there, but came home instead (because of the war). Bit of a tragedy, as he was getting on really well with Puskas and Sebes, who he'd been talking with during the lecture series. His nervous breakdown was perhaps our biggest blow, since he did so much to get the ball rolling for everything that followed. If he'd been able to hand off to Nicholson, and then back him as part of the board, Spurs could have been a very different animal.
The letter was to the FT in 2006..
Sir,In his piece "Magyars mourn their lost magic"Jonathan Wilson states:"Half a century ago Hungary were not merely the best in the world but possibly the best team there has ever been"
I disagree with his assessment of the Hungarian soccer team.The great Hungarian team of 1953 played the same fast,short-passing game that humiliated England and was played by Tottenham Hotspur from 1949 to 1953.During that reign they won the then Second Division championship followed by the First Division title and followed that by being runners up to Manchester United and FA cup semi-finalists.
In 1952 they toured North America playing an attractive style of football called "push and run",a fluid,fast-moving style that entertained capacity crowds wherever they played.That Spurs team was managed by my father Arthur Rowe,who had won championships while in charge of Chelmsford city,a southern league club,from 1946 to 1949.
After a stellar career as a Tottenham player in the 1930s,my father took a coaching position in Budapest,Hungary, before returning to England in 1939 to join the army.
In Budapest were sown the seeds of the 'push and run'approach,which for the next 13 years,incubated and ultimately manifested itself in that great Hungarian team.But it was a style that was first played by the glorious Spurs team of 1949-53.
In an FT article of July 1 1998,Peter Aspden wrote of 'the beautiful version of the game,invented by the Hungarian side of the 1950s'.The Hungarians did not'invent' the beautiful version of the game.If anyone 'invented'it,it was my father.
On my wall at home there is a photograph of my father with Ferenc Puskas,the peerless member of the Hungarian team of the1950s,and my thoughts turn to what kind of a game might have been played between those two great teams.
G A Rowe
Los Angeles.

Despite having chronic asthma, being built like Tiny Tim, no speed, no dribbling ability, no heading ability, no stamina or pretty much anything else, managed to end up taking corners off both sides and playing in midfield for my class team(yes probably the worst class in the school). My cousin was 10 years older and had the exact same limitations, got me to practice 2 things, kicking against a wall with both feet and break down Cryuff Turn off both sides until it was perfect. The difference was insane, it seems no one likes to be made look like a dick by a weedy nerd, one trick pony, but what a trick! God bless Johann, even though I'm Irish preferred watching Cryuff to Georgie Best.

Was just about to mention this. Everyone ignores Buckingham, but he and Arthur Rowe were right at the heart of what was going to be called total football, and are completely forgotten. And they both developed those ideas from the tactics of Peter McWilliam's Spurs teams. A history of Tottenham is like a secret history of football. Everyone credits the Austrians in the 30s, the Russians in the 40s and the Hungarians in the 50s, but Spurs were a big part of this too. By being English (and therefore unable to be innovators) and considered footballing heretics by the UK footballing community at the time, we get no credit.
There is letter from Arthur Rowe's son to one of the broadsheets at the time England were about to play Hungary in a qualifying game explaining his father's role on the rise of their national team if I can find it I will post it.

Shame, very Spursy player.

feyenoords-johan-cruyff-with-tottenham-hotspurs-glenn-hoddle-during-picture-id95687673

Got to see him that night at the lane.

Seem to recall he smoked all though out his playing career

One of the best...my first world cup 74 the game against Brazil his cross for neeskens goal total football.Got to see him live at Stamford bridge 78 as a guest for New York Cosmos and when he played against us in 83.Part of my football childhood gone forever.RIP

History - Vic Buckingham
The above was posted last year in here, it is a fantastic read about Spurs player Vic Buckingham and his influence on "Total Football".
Read another today, curtesy of Windy: Vic Buckingham: the Englishman history forgot
Was just about to mention this. Everyone ignores Buckingham, but he and Arthur Rowe were right at the heart of what was going to be called total football, and are completely forgotten. And they both developed those ideas from the tactics of Peter McWilliam's Spurs teams. A history of Tottenham is like a secret history of football. Everyone credits the Austrians in the 30s, the Russians in the 40s and the Hungarians in the 50s, but Spurs were a big part of this too. By being English (and therefore unable to be innovators) and considered footballing heretics by the UK footballing community at the time, we get no credit.

Cruyff was critical of Van Gaal’s plans for the youth education system. ‘You judge football players intuitively and with your heart,’ he said. ‘On the basis of the criteria which are now in use at Ajax I would have failed the test.

‘When I was 15, I could barely kick the ball 15 metres with my left and with the right maybe 20 metres. I would not have been able to take a corner. I was physically weak and relatively slow. My two qualities were great technique and insight, which happen to be two things you can’t measure with a computer.’

He features quite heavily in the book 'Brilliant Orange' about Dutch football and their culture etc. I didn't realise he was so influential off the football pitch, he was the poster child for changing attitudes and they absolutely adore him out there. RIP

Back
Top Bottom