Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great picture! Brought to mind something my dad once told me. When I was about 7 I asked him why one of my uncles was an Woolwich fan. He said back in those days the lines were not so clearly defined as to which team you supported. In fact we didn't have enough money to travel far to away games so most of the lads would go to White Hart Lane one week and when Spurs were away they would go to Highbury to support (yes support) Woolwich. And it would happen vice versa too. There was just not so much hatred between the teams in those days. The Uncle in question just preferred Woolwich because he lived down that end of Seven Sisters Road.

Great picture! Brought to mind something my dad once told me. When I was about 7 I asked him why one of my uncles was an Woolwich fan. He said back in those days the lines were not so clearly defined as to which team you supported. In fact we didn't have enough money to travel far to away games so most of the lads would go to White Hart Lane one week and when Spurs were away they would go to Highbury to support (yes support) Woolwich. And it would happen vice versa too. There was just not so much hatred between the teams in those days. The Uncle in question just preferred Woolwich because he lived down that end of Seven Sisters Road.
I'm pretty sure Harry Redknapp talked about the same thing when he was younger...

It's funny, cos the rivalry wasn't really a rivalry (to begin with) seeing as they were from South London n'all... it would be like hating Charlton Athletic!

The hatred was probably bourne of the post war/'50s era, when 'local' rivalry and 'manors/patches' became more of a thing...

I blame the Krays & The Richardsons!!

I'm pretty sure Harry Redknapp talked about the same thing when he was younger...

It's funny, cos the rivalry wasn't really a rivalry (to begin with) seeing as they were from South London n'all... it would be like hating Charlton Athletic!

The hatred was probably bourne of the post war/'50s era, when 'local' rivalry and 'manors/patches' became more of a thing...

I blame the Krays & The Richardsons!!
1913 and a certain Mr Norris spring to mind.

FN1NnOoX0AofnIG
Love pictures like this. Amazing. A world that has disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom