Proud to be Spurs - What does it mean for you?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ZoC said:
white hart lane
first shirt, first game,
observe, explore
the crowd, the roar
discover spurs is joy.

knock one in, another win,
singing all match through,
fuelled with booze and gooners lose.
discover spurs is true.

defend, attack,
forward, back,
the refereeing's dire.
tears are shed whatever's said
discover spurs is fire.

uncertain days.
no time, no space,
the goal that never came.
out of luck, out the cup,
discover spurs is pain.

the ups, the downs
the smiles, the frowns
the driving up the wall.
a cheer or curse, for better or worse
discover spurs is all.

Loving that mate

Lets assume, HR leaves for England in the sumer. Bale and Modric also leave and we go back to THOSE days!

I can safely say, not one person on this forum would quit supporting Spurs. And THAT is what supporting Spurs means to mean. True fans not just Glory Hunters. Its about the people who bleed Spurs!

Tottenham Till I Die.

COYS

Its never boring being a Spurs fan. Something will always happen, it's never plain sailing.

Even during the 90s when we were fucking shit, we still sold out. A few kids at my school switched from Spurs to Woolwich in the early 90s but I always stuck with Spurs and was always proud to wear the shirt. The club actually offered my mate and I our season tickets during the 2 points from 8 games phase and we said yes!

As fans we have such expectations for the club which for most of us we haven't seen met until recently. Yet we're still always here supporting the team

It wasn't all bad as one kid who switched, I got given his Spurs kit. It was the yellow one with the bird shit. My favourite shirt.

One utter speng switched from Spurs to Forest :D

My story.

I caught the football bug from the 2010 World Cup. Before that I would always follow the World Cup every four years but never carried forward from there. In 2010, once the Cup was over, I knew I wasn't done. I finally appreciated the sport itself.

A fried suggested I should choose an EPL team to follow, so I set about conducting some serious research. I wanted it to be a London club. I wanted a club with strong history and tradition, but not a top tier glamor club utterly overrun with Russian oligarchs and fat American twats (um, like me). As soon as I learned that Spurs fans are "yids" the analysis was over - I once spent a brilliant afternoon in Amsterdam with a bunch of Ajax fans so the opportunity to get on board with the English yiddo brethren was a no-brainer.

My friend, a Chelsea supporter, suggested I'd made a good choice because Spurs had qualified for CL. I spent all last year trying to wrap my head around all the various cups and competitions (an ongoing educational process, frankly) and experiencing firsthand the bitter darkside of supporting Spurs - flashes of brilliance and then losing to Wigan? I learned about transfer windows, absurd rumors, the ITK community, and the murky economics of buying, loaning, wages, fees (just kidding - I still don't understand that shit at all).

I learned to love Bale and Modric and VDV. I learned to hate Woolwich. I learned about local London politics regarding stadium issues. I gained a new perspective on the London riots last fall.

The strange and surprising thing for me is how REAL all this became for me, how fast. All my life before, my sports allegiances were based on where I lived or went to school, very logical "home team" affiliations. This was the first time I'd chosen a team for arguably arbitrary reasons yet it immediately became a consuming passion. In 2010 I couldn't name 3 EPL teams. In 2011 I keenly followed the relegation race and both my young children know how to pronounce and cheer for "Tottenham Hotspur."

So what does Spurs fandom and this season mean to me? It means being affiliated with the plucky underdog, eternally loyal, proud in victory, proud in defeat. It means being part of a global sports community. I cannot fully explain how any why the sport and the club have resonated with such immediacy and strength, nor do I need to question it. I'm on the wagon and I'm not getting off. COYS.

Yitt said:
arguably arbitrary reasons yet it immediately became a consuming passion.
Yeah!

At the Barrowboy and Banker, I realized that everyone supports Spurs for, ultimately, arbitrary reasons. Either you were born into it (not your choice), or you chose it later somewhat rationally (like your story, or like basically anyone who wasn't born to a family of Spurs or in N17). But it's still arbitrary that it infected you (or me, or anyone else) to the point that you care. That infection is not your fault.

There was a kind of embarrassing spectacle in the US about six or seven years ago. Bill Simmons, an ESPN columnist, decided soccer was cool, and he wanted a team in England to cheer for. Basically, he faced the same question every supporter faces at some point in his or her life; the difference was that he was doing so as a man in his 30s with a checklist, not as a child kicking a ball around with mates at the park. His checklist included: can't be relegation candidates, have to be good enough to get on TV once in a while, can't be a club with no history. So he landed on THFC.

In short, ultimately his reasons were no different than, say, "I liked Hoddle's haircut", or "Waddle can sing", or "Gazza scored a cracker the first match I saw live", or "white is slimming on me". Something hits you, something makes you say, "SPURS are for me". Like I told people at the pub, "I didn't choose Spurs; Spurs chose me".

But for Simmons, it didn't take. He played the plastic fan, and it was embarrassing how he would be asking people on twitter when the "playoffs" begin and the rest. Once the Red Sox owners bought Liverpool, he publicly toyed with the idea of switching his support to Liverpool, to match his Red Sox support. After all, he reasoned, it was all arbitrary, and it's not like he had ever bought a Spurs shirt.

So though something caught him—something said, "SPURS"—it didn't stick. It didn't grow and fester and infect his brain and make him think that buying 60 quid of Spurs shirts for his baby nieces and baby nephew at the Spurs Megastore on Thursday was a brilliant idea. It didn't force him to go back and learn about the guy who held on to the ball too long on his way to scoring against City. It didn't lead him to read about the old guy who talked about glory.

It didn't even lead him to figure out how the PL works.

In short, everyone has a chance to become a Spurs fan. It's all arbitrary. Mixing metaphors, every supporter is in Eden (Hazard) at some point, whether it be for a few seconds after birth or for thirty, forty years. Then they take a bite. And either they are blessed/doomed to support Spurs for life, or they spit it out and decide apples are not for them.

Everyone here took a bite at some point. It doesn't matter when that bite happened. All that matters is that we swallowed it and let it become a part of us. And that's ok. I surely won't(/can't) judge.

:whistle:

For me, our run in the Champions League signified what it means to be a Spurs fan.

A great season that saw us finishing above the money spenders City was brilliant, showed what was possible for the club. Then the fact that it nearly all came undone against some Young Boys just showed the unpredictability of the team. Beating the champions at home, coming back from 4-0 to make it 4-3, Van der Vaart against FC Twente, topping the group, beating both the Milans, the football we played. It was glorious, attacking and entertaining. It was something that we could tangibly be proud of. Still find myself watching videos of it every now and then on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom