Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't see how he did a "fantastic" job at Southampton!

He did ok for a while until his hi energy game fizzled out as other teams got wise to it!

As I live in Scotland I don't get down to games as much as I'd like as it's costly but one game last season stood out which was the home league cup tie against West Ham which, of course, we lost but the atmosphere was electric and the crowd was behind us throughout.
(Even Ade put a shift in and scored!)

Like a lot of people I hoped Tim would be given another season but sadly not and I could see why as he did not cover himself in glory bad mouthing AVB behind his back!
But my opinion is still that he would be preferable to Poch!

However I think Poch will still be here for the start of next season and, hopefully, alot of the 'deadwood' will be gone but will he last until Xmas?

I can't see it but, as I said in another post, I would love to be proven wrong.

:pochsmirk:

TOP 3! HAHAHA!

Mate, how many managers in the last 5, 10 years. Have taken over at a club and within 18 months broken into the top 3?
Maybe one? Van Gaal at united... where they spent 60 million on Di Maria and are paying falcao twelve times the years average wage A WEEK!

You're living in a fantasy world mon ami.

Do you actually read other people's posts before you spout off?

I was outlining a scenario!

If you're unsure of what that means, Google it!

:letmyselfout:

He did ok for a while until his hi energy game fizzled out as other teams got wise to it!

As I live in Scotland I don't get down to games as much as I'd like as it's costly but one game last season stood out which was the home league cup tie against West Ham which, of course, we lost but the atmosphere was electric and the crowd was behind us throughout.

Like a lot of people I hoped Tim would be given another season but sadly not and I could see why as he did not cover himself in glory bad mouthing AVB behind his back!

However I think Poch will still be here for the start of next season and, hopefully, alot of the 'deadwood' will be gone but will he last until Xmas?

I was at that game. First and only time I've ever sat in the paxton. It was fucking dreadful. Nearly had a fight with a guy in front of me because his tutting and general Mr know it all attitude was winding me up. We were a bit shite that day. Never really looked like winning the game, and lets not forget, it was only the second time that season we'd lost to west ham.
The Park Lane looked fun though. I think the fact we'd just got rid of AVB and were yet to hire a manager officially meant everyone was just in the mood for a good time. The rest of the ground was pathetic, but then like i said it was the only time I've sat in the paxton so i can't comment on how that relates to the rest of the season.

I was in the Shelf and had a ball!

Even thought the Spammers were funny singing,"you're getting sacked in the morning " to Tim who applauded!

We lost that game cos we couldn't cope with their aerial threat which is all they've got!

I was in the Shelf and had a ball!

Even thought the Spammers were funny singing,"you're getting sacked in the morning " to Tim who applauded!

We lost that game cos we couldn't cope with their aerial threat which is all they've got!
So what you're saying is; It doesnt matter what happens on the pitch. Whether we win or lose. Its about having fun and enjoying ourselves and singing for the team no matter what. No matter who is wearing the shirt or who is managing the team? Singing for the shirt, supporting the team you love, win lose or draw?

Great point, i completely agree.

it could well be possible that a slide to 8th finishes MP. Sadly, I doubt our very level headed Board / Chairman will look at the last few months and 8th place with any positive spin. Likely result is a big excuse not to spend big on MP's picks as if he's on 2 points from 8 Games in October he will be sacked & they have done even more damage to the profit lines by backing him. The actual smart move is to sign no one & tell MP to do his job & coach the players he has....it could be argued in a lot of cases he has failed to coach correctly. For every Mason we have a Capoue or Paulhinio..

Finish with form, positivety and on an upward curve and it would still have meant no more than 15 million per player investment max. After the woeful last few months no Chairman would come out and back a coach who's team has no form, no positivity & is on the down turn. Net result. Trouble ahead....

As I said the other day....we are in a Progress Trap zone, season in. Season out...we are not "progressing"

"A progress trap is the condition societies experience when, in pursuing progress through ingenuity, they inadvertently introduce problems they do not have the resources or political will to solve, for fear of short-term losses in status, stability or quality of life. This prevents further progress and sometimes leads to collapse......."

& let's not forget we continue to attempt to follow the Lyon model with a mix of Billy Bean...which is already a somewhat out dated approach, although in fairness might still work to a degree if your chasing 5/6/7. Otherwise you want to win more...pay players top money.

Last edited:
Nigel Adkins was doing a good job at the saints they just shafted him over and he carried it on don't get all this he is a top fantastic manager. if he comes good someone else will tap him up the way it is today

Well said. Poch didn't do a 'fantastic' job at Soton. He didn't even do a good as job as Sherwood did with us at the same time, and I don't recall too many saying Tim had a 'fantastic' season. Instead he took a lot of unfair and and often ridiculously childlish abuse.

The overriding concern must be this; what good has sacking manager after manager done us? We are a club that failed to take advantage of a great position a few years ago, we had some wonderful players and we looked set but it didn't happen.

Pochettino has arrived in what can be called a difficult spell. He has a group of players who aren't capable, are too young and inexperienced, or on very good but the negatives outweigh the positives in our squad, and he has had to deal with that.

It is without question the man has flaws, some of which are so apparent that is difficult to understand why he won't address them. But he also has lots of talent, and for better or worse it is that which must be focused upon.

Levy has already provided him with Mitchell, a significant change in dynamic we'd all agree. The players we are linked with are irrelevant; it's 'great fun' reading who we are or aren't linked with but I can scarcely think of more than one or two players we have been consistently linked with who we have bought.

Unfortunately I have lost my season ticket for next season. I say unfortunately because I suspect there will be a lot to cheer about next season. The right players for the right manager. The continued growth of some players and the emergence of others - it's not a prediction based on anything other than hope but I hope I am right.

So what you're saying is; It doesnt matter what happens on the pitch. Whether we win or lose. Its about having fun and enjoying ourselves and singing for the team no matter what. No matter who is wearing the shirt or who is managing the team? Singing for the shirt, supporting the team you love, win lose or draw?

Great point, i completely agree.

I didn't say anything like that!
So stop trying to make out that I did!
You obviously don't read posts properly before you reply or you don't understand them!

It does matter what happens on the pitch!

BUT while at a game if it goes wrong then you should still get behind your team, which includes players and the manager!

I've no time whatsoever for Ade and want him gone from our great club ASAP but you don't boo a player wearing our shirt when he walks on to the field as happened to Ade last game.

Disgraceful imo!

I remember the boo boys slagging off Terry Fenwick at games in the 90s and I felt the same then.
He was crap but that's not the point!

progresso-soup.jpg

I didn't say anything like that!
So stop trying to make out that I did!
You obviously don't read posts properly before you reply or you don't understand them!

It does matter what happens on the pitch!

BUT while at a game if it goes wrong then you should still get behind your team, which includes players and the manager!

I've no time whatsoever for Ade and want him gone from our great club ASAP but you don't boo a player wearing our shirt when he walks on to the field as happened to Ade last game.

Disgraceful imo!

I remember the boo boys slagging off Terry Fenwick at games in the 90s and I felt the same then.
He was crap but that's not the point!

Slate players = fine
Slate manager = YOU ARE A SHIT FAN AND IM GLAD YOU DONT GO TO GAMES!!!!!!!

An alternative view...
Trigger happy chairman +Director of Football=senior strategy team.
Players bought with a Bale windfall by Director of Football pre TImmeh or Poch.
Nobody can work with those players in any meaningful way- AVB, TImmeh or Poch.
AVB & TImmeh get their marching orders, having tried to roll the turd in glitter.
Poch is under pressure to work with a Director of Football who has been told he can't sign anyone else outside of the financial structure.
Director of football speaks to Poch & agrees that certain areas need strengthening- then signs cheaper versions of the players Poch identified. Poch is left to work with bargain bucket versions of the players he wanted. He decides they aren't good enough & certainly nowhere near what he asked for. So he plays the same increasingly tired lads after the deflating experience of losses in FA cup, EL & a cup final (following a promising start up to the end of the transfer winds in January) because he knows who he can rely on, even if they are half fucked, inexperienced & deflated at the end of a season where they have carried the rest of the squad, many of whom are too busy sending selfies & tweeting to fight for a place in the team...or the plainly bad signings from before Poch's name was even whispered.
That's a plausible scenario. As plausible as Poch is just shit & we are regressing.
Maybe the hierarchy at Spurs hear the moans & groans of the fans. Maybe it's the hierarchy who sense the unrest & generate uncertainty in the corridors of power-& react too swiftly to that? Maybe it's the structure that's wrong rather than AVB<Tim<Poch? Maybe they were/are good managers in their own way who just couldn't/can't work with the senior strategy board at THFC? What pisses me off is that in a mixed first season (we battered the Chavs & Woolwich rather than the recent annual humiliation) people are questioning the managers ability. This is how we keep ending up with a new manager every full moon. We can piss around on here saying how shit the team was today, how bad a signing "x" was or why we didn't sign "y", how crap Verts was, how wonderful Lloris & Kane are (& how do we keep them here) & what went wrong with Paulinho, Vlad, Bobby etc.
What if the board room at WHL is anything like TFC??

Truth is, we should put faith in the manager & for once, hope the board does as well. Because the fucking circus will keep on rolling if we keep swapping managers to try & sort out the clusterfuck of a series of earlier decisions/transfers. I defy anyone to say they didn't get a bit horny about some of our performances this year. Far from the finished article in many respects but the youngest team in the league playing like they have sometimes? & yes, playing like a group of inexperienced, tired youngsters on occasions too. I think I see what the manager is trying to do. I offer an alternative view of what pressures he & the "reliable" ones in his team may be under. If you don't like it or disagree with me, I know who you are likely to be & you know where the X button is:avbfu:

Last edited:
The whole 'youngest team in the league' thing is actually starting to fuck me off. What is so good about that? It means short-comings in the squad balance if you ask me. It's just an excuse for everybody to hide behind for various failings and tightness. Ok so if the theory and pure hope is that they all mature and peak at the same time in a few years and we reap the benefits then that's great but, in the meantime when you underachieve and/or decline because of a lack of know-how and experience, then half of the youngsters do not progress to the heady-heights of capable squad player because they're not good enough or, because Poch is actually just a very average coach, then what?

We still have that disorganised and soft underbelly, hence our defensive record. We need some maturity and that will also help the youngsters learn too.

The older players we have Poch doesn't fancy, I'm translating that as he can't coach or manage them which is a worry.

I'd certainly be making Milner an absolute priority - can't really believe I'm saying that but he's fit, tenacious, versatile, has won things, lots of Premiership experience, English to help squad numbers, no transfer fee.....yes wages will be high but better than punting on a £7-8m fee for a 3rd choice and still having to pay them £40k a week anyway.

Good player to have around I think.

Slate players = fine
Slate manager = YOU ARE A SHIT FAN AND IM GLAD YOU DONT GO TO GAMES!!!!!!!

What an amazing response!

So according to you anyone who criticises a manager is a "SHIT FAN"!

Let me guess you're about 12 yrs old with no friends and coming on here making ridiculous comments like that (I've read some of your other posts!) is the highlight of your life!

And if you bothered to read my posts I do go to games just not as many as I wd like!

Now do one!
:adelol:

What an amazing response!

So according to you anyone who criticises a manager is a "SHIT FAN"!

Let me guess you're about 12 yrs old with no friends and coming on here making ridiculous comments like that (I've read some of your other posts!) is the highlight of your life!

And if you bothered to read my posts I do go to games just not as many as I wd like!

Now do one!
:adelol:

10/10 trolling

Back
Top Bottom