Premier League star arrested on suspicion of rape

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

the team in question are due to fly to the states this week. I doubt the player could travel while on bail could he?

how long does Bail last?

There's two types of bail in the UK. Police bail and Court bail. Police bail a suspect pending further investigation / inquiries. The court remand someone on bail until the next court hearing date.
When police bail someone they have not yet laid charges at Court (they need to investigate further before referring the file to the CPS for a decision on what - if any - charges should be laid)
I thought about this off and on for the entire weekend and I am still confused by it.

Requiring bail absent any charges and pending further investigation just sounds like an abuse of power.

I thought about this off and on for the entire weekend and I am still confused by it.

Requiring bail absent any charges and pending further investigation just sounds like an abuse of power.
You can do pretty much anything if you’re on police bail. Normally there are conditions such as not being allowed to contact the alleged victim, but generally few other conditions except having to answer bail.

You can do pretty much anything if you’re on police bail. Normally there are conditions such as not being allowed to contact the alleged victim, but generally few other conditions except having to answer bail.

It depends on the conditions of the bail

I had a friend who had a false accusation thrown at him with the same offence and he couldn't go anywhere.

I suspect that if you're the prime suspect in a rape case then it makes sense for the Police to keep you in the country, what if you never come back?

It depends on the conditions of the bail

I had a friend who had a false accusation thrown at him with the same offence and he couldn't go anywhere.

I suspect that if you're the prime suspect in a rape case then it makes sense for the Police to keep you in the country, what if you never come back?
Yes, it’s the conditions of the bail. We don’t know what they are. But because he’s so high profile and won’t get paid by his employer if he absconds, he might not be considered a flight risk.

It's already had a disastrous effect. Has ruined attention spans, relationships, privacy, mental well-being, etc. Glad I grew up without it and am able to distance from it. The young generation have no chance
...sorry, I lost interest on 'already' ...too busy scrolling down the clickbait ads...
Just WAIT til you see what Susan Boyle looks like today... You wil GASP!!!!

Good point.

Bail lasts until the Police conclude their findings.
No. Bail has a specific time limit. In this case, he has been bailed to return next month. The police will then either charge him, release him without charge or bail him again to return at a future date.

Okay, but you're still paying a bond in absence of any charge.
Police bail doesn't involve paying a bond. In the UK we call bonds sureties / securities. A surety is liable to be paid if someone fails to attend their next Court date. A security is paid to the Court before bail is granted and paid back if the person abides by their bail conditions. Only the Courts grant bail with sureties / securities.
It's best practice for Police to investigate before arresting someone. In some cases that's not practicable (i.e, where they arrest multiple people for affray / GBH but need more time to obtain and review CCTV footage or get medical evidence)

Back
Top Bottom