Premier League 23/24 Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've just been revisiting our 'transfers in' since 2021/22 when Paratici joined :

Most players are straight forward to assess - and its a ✔️ to say the player is acceptable quality (and in some cases even excellent quality)

2021/22
Gollini - Loan, but not convincing
Romero - ✔️
Sarr - ✔️
Royal - ✔️ (versatile RB/LB.CB)
Gil - Great dribbler, but physically not up to PL
Kulusevski - ✔️
Bentancur - ✔️

2022/23
Lenglet (loan) - Loan, not up to Spurs standard
Forster (free) - ✔️ Covered Lloris absence at end of last season well
Perisic (free) - ✔️ Decent option off bench for assists
Danjuma (loan) - Not really tried by Spurs ?
Porro - ✔️
Spence - Jury out, but could be a dud for Spurs ?
Udogie - ✔️
Bissouma - ✔️
Richarlison - Tricky to assess on first year(ish), but 5 goals in last month very acceptable

2023/24
Vicario - ✔️
Van Der Ven - ✔️
Maddison - ✔️
Johnson - ✔️
Solomon - Not played enough to assess
Phillips - Youngster to assess next season
Veliz - Youngster to assess next season

Werner - Too early to assess, but looks promising
Dragusin - Too early to assess, but looks promising

Summary
So that's 14 players with a ✔️ - a successful player transfer.
- Richarlison is difficult to assess. If he keeps up his recent 5 goal success I think he's another ✔️
- 3 loans in didn't really work (Gollini, Lenglet and Danjuma)
- Gil is not physically up to PL
- Spence - jury is out
- Solomon, Phillips and Veliz, Werner and Dragusin not assessed as they've not played enough or just arrived at Spurs

Conclusion
Other than 3 loans which didn't work, its only Spence and Gil who haven't really worked out but 14 players who have worked out (and sometimes outstandingly well), and maybe a 15th with Richarlison.

And another 5 players (youngsters or just arrived) who might still come good.

In general commercial acquisitions oof businesses its sad that less than 50% of acquisitions live up to pre-acquisition expectations.

So this is an astonishingly successful transfer record over last 3 years , with so many successes and very few failures (most of whom were on 'try before you buy' loans, so very limited financial impact).

We really are cooking !
THFC has been doing 90% the right thing and fingers crossed we now have the right manager.

I've just had a look at a potential UEFA squad for next season.
Assuming all the usual suspects are loaned again or leave THFC and assuming Vuskovic stays on loan we only have to "lose" one HG or NHG player from the list. Obviously that increases to 2 if Skipp were to leave.
That is great squad management by Spurs.

View: https://x.com/SpursOfficial/status/1746653419182637290?s=20

Richarlison has certainly changed for the better since his op - 5 goals in his last 6 appearances, and 7 for the season so far. I think there's a chance for him to get 12-15 goals this season and pushing 20 goals next season.

View: https://x.com/footballontnt/status/1746584908082848037?s=20

That sort of form makes him a much more valuable member of the squad and I think we now count him another successful acquisition that we need to keep - and with Son we now have 2 reliable goal scorers.

Werner got an assist today - need to watch him over the rest of season but possibly another forward we may decide to keep ?

Squad no.PlayerNationalityPosition(s)Date of birth (age)
Goalkeepers
13Guglielmo VicarioItalyGK7 October 1996 (age 27)
20Fraser ForsterENGGK17 March 1988 (age 35)
40Brandon AustinENGGK7 January 1999 (age 25)
41Alfie WhitemanENGGK2 October 1998 (age 25)
Defenders
3Sergio ReguilónSpainLWB / LB16 December 1996 (age 27)
6Radu DrăgușinRomaniaCB3 February 2002 (age 21)
12Emerson RoyalBrazilRWB / RB14 January 1999 (age 25)
17Cristian Romero (VC)ArgentinaCB27 April 1998 (age 25)
19Ryan SessegnonENGLWB / LB18 May 2000 (age 23)
23Pedro PorroSpainRWB / RB13 September 1999 (age 24)
33Ben DaviesWALCB / LWB24 April 1993 (age 30)
37Micky van de VenNetherlandsCB19 April 2001 (age 22)
38Destiny UdogieItalyLB28 November 2002 (age 21)
65Alfie DorringtonENGCB20 April 2005 (age 18)
Midfielders
4Oliver SkippENGDM / CM16 September 2000 (age 23)
5Pierre-Emile HøjbjergDenmarkDM / CM5 August 1995 (age 28)
8Yves BissoumaMaliDM / CM30 August 1996 (age 27)
10James Maddison (VC)ENGAM / RW23 November 1996 (age 27)
18Giovani Lo CelsoArgentinaCM / AM9 April 1996 (age 27)
29Pape Matar SarrSenegalCM14 September 2002 (age 21)
30Rodrigo BentancurUruguayDM / CM25 June 1997 (age 26)
Forwards
7Son Heung-min (C)South KoreaLW / ST8 July 1992 (age 31)
9RicharlisonBrazilST / LW / RW10 April 1997 (age 26)
11Bryan GilSpainLW / RW / AM11 February 2001 (age 22)
14Ivan PerišićCroatiaLW / LWB / LB2 February 1989 (age 34)
16Timo WernerGermanyST6 March 1996 (age 27)
21Dejan KulusevskiSwedenRW / AM25 April 2000 (age 23)
22Brennan JohnsonWALRW23 May 2001 (age 22)
27Manor SolomonIsraelLW / RW / AM24 July 1999 (age 24)
36Alejo VélizARGST19 September 2003 (age 20)
44Dane ScarlettENGST24 March 2004 (age 19)
58Yago SantiagoSPALW / AM / RW15 April 2003 (age 20)
63Jamie DonleyENGSS / ST / AM3 January 2005 (age 19)
Out on loan
15Eric DierENGCB15 January 1994 (age 30)
22Joe RodonWALCB22 October 1997 (age 26)
24Djed SpenceENGRWB / RB9 August 2000 (age 23)
25Japhet TangangaENGRB / CB31 March 1999 (age 24)
28Tanguy NdombeleFRACM28 December 1996 (age 27)
35Ashley PhillipsENGCB26 June 2005 (age 18)

View: https://x.com/SpursOfficial/status/1746653419182637290?s=20

Richarlison has certainly changed for the better since his op - 5 goals in his last 6 appearances, and 7 for the season so far. I think there's a chance for him to get 12-15 goals this season and pushing 20 goals next season.

View: https://x.com/footballontnt/status/1746584908082848037?s=20

That sort of form makes him a much more valuable member of the squad and I think we now count him another successful acquisition that we need to keep - and with Son we now have 2 reliable goal scorers.

Werner got an assist today - need to watch him over the rest of season but possibly another forward we may decide to keep ?

Werner has Sonny level wages.

We'd need to be very sure to keep him imo. I'd want to see him score 5 and assist about 5 before the end of the season. If not more.

Richy sticking around is looking more and more likely and if he does, that means we have space for one more forward and IMO it needs to be an elite starting 11 level WF if we want to challenge

Richarlison - Tricky to assess on first year(ish), but 5 goals in last month very acceptable
Pretty much agree with all the others, although Gil might have come good given more game time. So much of a footballer's success or failure at a PL club depends on timing and luck. Bryan G has looked good in patches in Europe, and was unlucky to hit the bar v B'mouth. But Werner will prob be an upgrade, and of course physically stronger, and quicker too.

Re Richi: I've always been saying that given a decent service he would score for us. I just looked at his record at a struggling EFC - always gave it his all, fans fave, and a very decent return. With the amount of chances we ought to create for him, he ought to get 15 PL goals a season, maybe 20.

6 in 6 is a very good return and has been very important given the injuries we have. Those games have produced 13pts (not for a min suggesting he's been worth 13 btw).

But it was his performance not just the goal v MUFC. Chasing back, stealing back possession, shielding well, some good first time round the corner passing. Sonny has scored well with Madz in MF, and no reason to think that Richi won't do too. I can only think he was recovering from flu with that poor game v Burnley.

But your main point I agree with 100%. The hit rate that we've had has been incredible. I can't think of any other club that comes close apart from Brighton who in the main are going for a different level of player. We got Bentanc for £15m (absolute steal) whereas Brighton have just picked up a CM from Boca for £8m.

And as for the Goons - £100m for Rice who slows everything down in MF and makes them worse than they were last season. Havertz.....say no more.

Edit - just seen your follow up Richi post, saying the same, ie 15 goals maybe rising to 20.

We've been spoiled with Kane last few years - we just knew those one on ones like v B'mouth were guaranteed goals.

Werner has Sonny level wages.

We'd need to be very sure to keep him imo. I'd want to see him score 5 and assist about 5 before the end of the season. If not more.

Richy sticking around is looking more and more likely and if he does, that means we have space for one more forward and IMO it needs to be an elite starting 11 level WF if we want to challenge

I think the signing of Werner on a 'try before you buy' loan shows we want another decent option as winger- striker but we were not sure of him based upon his stats at Leipzig on his return, and hence his signing on loan.

Whilst we have got an option to buy at a pretty low value his wages (I read £164k pa, maybe 80% of Son's) would put him at one of the highest wage earners at the club, so I think we only take up the option if he does get decent goal involvement whilst on loan - the fact that Spurs are averaging 2 goals a game despite missing Maddison for half a season shows that goal scoring opportunities are there and it just needs him to take them. If he doesn't we just need to be brave and move on in the summer.

Richarlison post operation has started to show the form, or perhaps even bettering, the form he had at Everton of being a 15 goals a season man, and I think he's showing he's capable of taking up some of the increased goal scoring opportunities Spurs give (v Everton) to take him to a higher tally - currently on 7 goals plus 3 assists, with 6 goals being in the last 6 games post operation.

Squad no.PlayerNationalityPosition(s)Date of birth (age)
Goalkeepers
13Guglielmo VicarioItalyGK7 October 1996 (age 27)
20Fraser ForsterENGGK17 March 1988 (age 35)
40Brandon AustinENGGK7 January 1999 (age 25)
41Alfie WhitemanENGGK2 October 1998 (age 25)
Defenders
3Sergio ReguilónSpainLWB / LB16 December 1996 (age 27)
6Radu DrăgușinRomaniaCB3 February 2002 (age 21)
12Emerson RoyalBrazilRWB / RB14 January 1999 (age 25)
17Cristian Romero (VC)ArgentinaCB27 April 1998 (age 25)
19Ryan SessegnonENGLWB / LB18 May 2000 (age 23)
23Pedro PorroSpainRWB / RB13 September 1999 (age 24)
33Ben DaviesWALCB / LWB24 April 1993 (age 30)
37Micky van de VenNetherlandsCB19 April 2001 (age 22)
38Destiny UdogieItalyLB28 November 2002 (age 21)
65Alfie DorringtonENGCB20 April 2005 (age 18)
Midfielders
4Oliver SkippENGDM / CM16 September 2000 (age 23)
5Pierre-Emile HøjbjergDenmarkDM / CM5 August 1995 (age 28)
8Yves BissoumaMaliDM / CM30 August 1996 (age 27)
10James Maddison (VC)ENGAM / RW23 November 1996 (age 27)
18Giovani Lo CelsoArgentinaCM / AM9 April 1996 (age 27)
29Pape Matar SarrSenegalCM14 September 2002 (age 21)
30Rodrigo BentancurUruguayDM / CM25 June 1997 (age 26)
Forwards
7Son Heung-min (C)South KoreaLW / ST8 July 1992 (age 31)
9RicharlisonBrazilST / LW / RW10 April 1997 (age 26)
11Bryan GilSpainLW / RW / AM11 February 2001 (age 22)
14Ivan PerišićCroatiaLW / LWB / LB2 February 1989 (age 34)
16Timo WernerGermanyST6 March 1996 (age 27)
21Dejan KulusevskiSwedenRW / AM25 April 2000 (age 23)
22Brennan JohnsonWALRW23 May 2001 (age 22)
27Manor SolomonIsraelLW / RW / AM24 July 1999 (age 24)
36Alejo VélizARGST19 September 2003 (age 20)
44Dane ScarlettENGST24 March 2004 (age 19)
58Yago SantiagoSPALW / AM / RW15 April 2003 (age 20)
63Jamie DonleyENGSS / ST / AM3 January 2005 (age 19)
Out on loan
15Eric DierENGCB15 January 1994 (age 30)
22Joe RodonWALCB22 October 1997 (age 26)
24Djed SpenceENGRWB / RB9 August 2000 (age 23)
25Japhet TangangaENGRB / CB31 March 1999 (age 24)
28Tanguy NdombeleFRACM28 December 1996 (age 27)
35Ashley PhillipsENGCB26 June 2005 (age 18)

In this summer 2024 coming, both Dier and Perisic's contracts come to an end, so they will be off.

Also this summer there are a number of players whose contract end in 2025 (ie one year left) of whom the majority will not be extended and a number will be sold or otherwise moved on . These players are Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Sessegnon, Tanganga, Rodon, Reguilon, Davies, Parrott, Ndombele and Son (who I think we have a one year option to extend).

So within the next 6 - 18 months most of the players we need to upgrade or are on loan will be out of our hair.

1VICARIONON-HG1FORSTERHG
2AUSTINHG
3WHITEMANHG
2ROYALNON-HG4SESSEGNONHGUDOGIEU 211
3PORRONON-HG
4REGUILLONNON-HG
5van de VENNON-HG5DAVIESHGDRAGUSINU212
6ROMERONON-HG(Dorrington)
7HOJBJERGNON-HG6MADDISONHGSARRU 213
8BISSOUMANON-HG7SKIPPHG(Donley)
9LO CELSONON-HG(Santiago)
10BENTANCURNON-HG
11PERISICNON-HG
12WERNERNON-HG
13SOLOMONNON-HG8JOHNSONHGVELIZU 214
14KULUSEVSKINON-HG(Scarlett)
15GILNON-HG
16RICHARLISONNON-HG
17SONNON-HG

Currently injured players in bold.

Players on international duty in italics.

(Academy players in brackets)

We are bang on 25 kosher squad but scope to easily add 3 more.

Edit: Injury update Jan 16
I thought I would update the injured list.
Jesus, eight injured 1st teamers and Scarlett. And Reg won't play for us again.

Last edited:
In this summer 2024 coming, both Dier and Perisic's contracts come to an end, so they will be off.

Also this summer there are a number of players whose contract end in 2025 (ie one year left) of whom the majority will not be extended and a number will be sold or otherwise moved on . These players are Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Sessegnon, Tanganga, Rodon, Reguilon, Davies, Parrott, Ndombele and Son (who I think we have a one year option to extend).

So within the next 6 - 18 months most of the players we need to upgrade or are on loan will be out of our hair.
I think we 100% keep Davies. Parrott is more or less a "free pick" but Ange to decide, of course.
Will have to see if Sess regains fitness but like GLC he is virtually unsaleable so Ange may have them stick around.
Here's my opinion:

DEFINITELYPROBABLYMAYBE
GOINGGOINGGOING
HGRODONNHGNDOMBELENHGGLC
NHGPERISICNHGHOJBJERGHGSESSEGNON
NHGREGUILLONNHGGILCTSKIPP
NHGDIERNHGROYALCTPARROTT
HGSPENCECTTANGANGA
CTWHITEMAN

Last edited:
I think we 100% keep Davies. Parrott is more or less a "free pick" but Ange to decide, of course.
Will have to see if Sess regains fitness but like GLC he is virtually unsaleable so Ange may have them stick around.
Here's my opinion:

DEFINITELYPROBABLYMAYBE
GOINGGOINGGOING
HGRODONNHGNDOMBELENHGGLC
NHGPERISICNHGHOJBJERGHGSESSEGNON
NHGREGUILLONNHGGILCTSKIPP
NHGDIERNHGROYALCTPARROTT
HGTANGANGA
HGWHITEMAN

Dier and Perisic are at end of their contracts in summer and Rodon and Reguilon should be saleable - but latter depends on finding a club with money/no ffp issues - and same applies to Hojbjerg, Gil and Lo Celso.

Whilst neither Royal nor Davies really suit Angeball, both are capable of covering several defensive positions, so will only leave if we find better.

I think both Austin and Whiteman will stay - one being loaned out and one as 3rd GK as both are club trained and do not take up a squad place. Same as Skipp - with a shortage of Club trained its either have a maximum squad of 21 in uefa tournaments or include the Club trained players we have.

Sadly I suspect Ndombele will only leave when paid off - what size discount will he accept on his £10m pa salary.

Parrott's going to really pull out all the stops this season at Excellsior if he's going to impress Ange !

Maddison
Bentancur - Sarr
Udogie - VDV - Romero - Porro
Vicario
I wonder if it's bias that makes me think this, but I rate that as the best GK/DEF/MID in the league by quite a margin. There are better individual players in other teams i.e. KDB etc.. But as a collective group playing in the same team, I'm pretty confident in saying that's the best.

Pretty incredible the turnaround under Ange.

We are well placed for an interesting end to this window.

We are under no pressure to sell any of our players and there is no immediate need to bring players in.

On the other hand with Lloris, Dier and Perisic leaving and Werner and Dragusin (still an u21) joining we have 2 vacant places in the squad - so we have the opportunity to bring in a one or two players if they will improve our squad long term.

No point in bringing in players who don't enhance the squad as in the summer we will need to register Sarr, Udogie and Dragusin who will no longer count as u21's, so we'd actually need to move on one more player then anyway - and that ignores whether any of the players currently out on loan will be reintegrated into the squad in the summer (although its likely its only u21's Devine and Phillips who we may need to consider)

Worth reminding ourselves of the current squad as of today :

GK -Vicario/Forster/Austin
RB - Porro/Royal
CB - Romero/VDV/ Dragusin
LB - Udogie/Davies/Sessegnon
CM1 - Bissouma/Skipp/Hojbjerg
CM2 - Bentancur/Sarr
CM3 - Maddison/Lo Celso
RW - Kulusevski/Johnson
LW - Solomon/Gil/Werner
CF – Son/Richarlison/Veliz/Scarlett

(15 overseas trained, 2 Club trained, 5 'Other HG', and 5 u21's ) - total 27 players

If we are to bring in players now it makes sense to bring them in to replace players who we might choose to move on in this window or the summer - so that's :
Sessegnon (who could be replaced by a LB or CB to add ton Davies who covers these positions),
Hojbjerg and Lo Celso both likely to move on with only 18 months left on their contracts), and
Gil (who is not well suited to PL and unlikely to get much game time in 2nd half of the season, being replaced by a forward, probably goal scoring winger ).

In the summer we may (or may not) look to upgrade on Royal, Davies and Solomon and even others (all decisions to be decided in the summer) but I doubt we bring in players to replace any of them in this window.

So those who might come in is one CM who might be defensive or creative, with another coming in the summer. I can't see Connor Gallagher coming in unless Chelsea drop their price to say £25m, other possible players we have been linked to include Adam Wharton (Blackburn), Hayden Hackney (Boro) and Jaoa Gomes (Wolves) all of whom would be useful additions to the squad, even if not starters.

The only name I see linked who is credible as a forward is Antonio Nusa from Bruges, although others might surface.

I haven't seen any credible links to defenders : it maybe our plan is to wait and see how Phillips gets on at Plymouth, so we review that position in summer.

In terms of outgoing players, the most likely leavers might be Hojbjerg who wants to move on, Sessegnon, who hasn't played for a year as Davies should be back from injury shorly and maybe Gil who is unlikely to get much game time in the 2nd half of the season (and played only 200 minutes in the first half season) now we have recruited Werner, and with Solomon back from injury. We don't need to sell to bring in other players, but think we'd be tempted by half decent offers, although might want to have lined up another CM first before selling Hojbjerg although we might risk it with only one game a season for rest of the season

Any more business we do in this window simply reduces the business we need to do in the summer and might integrate new players earlier more than anything else.

Last edited:
21/2222/2323/24 Sept23/24 Feb
01 Austin
02 Davies
03 Kane
04 Rodon
05 Sessegnon
06 Skipp
07 Tanganga
08 Winks

01 Bentancur
02 Bergwijn
03 Dier
04 Doherty
05 Gil
06 Gollini
07 Hojbjerg
08 Kulusevski
09 Lloris
10 Lo Celso
11 Moura
12 NDombele
13 Reguilon
14 Romero
15 Royal
16 Sanchez
17 Son
01 Austin
02 Davies
03 Forster
04 Kane
05 Sessegnon
06 Skipp
07 Tanganga
08 Whiteman

01 Bentancur
02 Bissouma
03 Danjuma
04 Dier
05 Hojbjerg
06 Kulusevski
07 Lengley
08 Lloris
09 Moura
10 Perisic
11 Porro
12 Reguilon
13 Richalison
14 Romero
15 Royal
16 Sanchez
17 Son
01 Austin
02 Davies
03 Forster
04 Johnson
05 Maddison
06 Sessegnon
07 Skipp
08 Whiteman

01 Bentancur
02 Bissouma
03 Dier
04 Gil
05 Hojbjerg
06 Kulusevski
07 Emerson
08 Lloris
09 Lo Celso
10 Perisic
11 Porro
12 Richarlison
13 Romero
14 Solomon
15 Son
16 Van De Ven
17 Vicario
01 Austin
02 Davies
03 Forster
04 Johnson
05 Maddison
06 Sessegnon
07 Skipp
08 Whiteman

01 Bentancur
02 Bissouma
03 Gil
04 Hojbjerg
05 Kulusevski
06 Emerson
07 Lo Celso
08 Porro
09 Richarlison
10 Romero
11 Solomon
12 Son
13 Van De Ven
14 Vicario
15 Werner

Hi Admin Admin

Could you merge these two threads, please?

Squad update

1VICARIONHG1FORSTERHG
2AUSTINCT
3WHITEMANCT
2ROYALNHG4SESSEGNONHGUDOGIEU 211
3PORRONHG
4van de VENNHG5DAVIESHGDRAGUSINU212
5ROMERONHG(Dorrington)
6HOJBJERGNHG6MADDISONHGSARRU 213
7BISSOUMANHG7SKIPPCT(Donley)
8LO CELSONHG(Santiago)
9BENTANCURNHG
10WERNERNHG
11SOLOMONNHG8JOHNSONHG
12KULUSEVSKINHG(Scarlett)
13GILNHG
14RICHARLISONNHG
15SONNHG

Currently injured players in bold.

Players on international duty in italics.

(Academy players in brackets)

Squad total: 23.

Squad at end of the window, until summer window opens :

GK -Vicario/Forster/Austin
RB - Porro/Royal
CB - Romero/VDV/ Dragusin
LB - Udogie/Davies/Sessegnon
CM1 - Bissouma/Skipp/Hojbjerg
CM2 - Bentancur/Sarr
CM3 - Maddison/Lo Celso
RW - Kulusevski/Johnson
LW - Solomon/Gil/Werner
CF – Son/Richarlison/Scarlett

(15 overseas trained, 2 Club trained, 5 'Other HG', and 4 u21's ) - total 26 players
Excluding youth players recently on bench such as Donley, Santiago

Of course Sessegnon and Lo Celso out injured, whilst Son and Bissouma still on international duty.

Still a decent sized squad to play the remaining 16 PL games of the season, mainly playing once a week - so a maximum of 11 starters and 5 sub appearances - 16 players actually involved in the match.

Back
Top Bottom