Poch sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not really, I mainly feel excited about the match on Saturday and it will be very interesting to see how the team reacts to all this on the pitch.. And obviously which team he picks.
I, along with every one else, can guarantee that we will see a performance that we have not seen for a lonng while........or at least we should.

With Mourinho there and with his reputation all the players, whoever he picks, will be running through walls to prove that they are good enough for his team, 'cos they know that if they don't he will fuck them off without a thought.

No matter how shit its been, surely a manager who moves to a temporary stadium way longer than expected, gets us consistent champs league and top 4 finishes doesnt get a full season at the brand new stadium that hes waited so patiently for?

How long has this all been going on? Months I would imagine, which would surely have some bearing on recent events.
Sad.

Anyone but maureen though, fucking hell.

Am I the only one still in disbelief about all this? Seeing those photos of Mourinho taking training today are so surreal and a bit sickening to me. I feel depressed about football as a whole.

Feel exactly the opposite - Poch was going nowhere nor were we, same shit different week - he needed to leave and start again elsewhere, and we needed a change. I never overly criticised Poch but watching him fail over and over was getting very depressing.

It's exciting to go into a match wondering what sort of performance to expect, makes a change from knowing that a lacklustre effort is the best we could hope for... no guarantee Jose will make us better but frankly he can't make this squad look much worse.

Am I the only one still in disbelief about all this? Seeing those photos of Mourinho taking training today are so surreal and a bit sickening to me. I feel depressed about football as a whole.
Me too, it almost feels like I'm living in a completely another dimension. If someone told you 10 years ago that Mourinho would be Spurs' manager in the future you would never believe it. And yet here we are ...

To some of the people who are posting about Poch and recent developments may I just remind you of a couple of things. The guy is still alive and has no doubt been handsomely financially rewarded for his contract being terminated. He is free to join whichever club he feels will satisfy his ambitions and seek his services.
To those of you who now declare yourselves as no longer supporting Tottenham I would say that your loyalties obviously lay with the manager and not the club. Therefore the best thing to do is watch where Poch goes next and then swear your allegiance to them.

I have supported Tottenham Hotspur for over 50 years and will continue to do so until my last breath. The decision to sack Poch was a business one based on recent results and the current situation regarding players contracts and general morale. We accept the board's actions and move on.

We have today appointed a new manager and whilst we wave a fond farewell to Mauricio we should look to the future with positivity and excitement. If you cannot do that then your genuine support for the club needs questioning.

One day Jose will leave but whilst he's here I wish him nothing but success in his endeavours to bring cups and titles to this wonderful club. They have been long overdue. :thumbup:. Let's start the new campaign with an away win at West Ham and watching a team that looks as though they are enjoying playing again.
:coys:
What does the 'club' mean to you, what does it represent? Do we even represent anything? Or are we just another business lurching around by reactionary fiscally minded decisions to balance the books and make investors happy? If the true fan is one who just immediately goes from 'loving' one manager straight to the next, is any of their support ever real? Or is going through those motions, pretending to love, just another part of the business of football? People keep talking about the club being above the individuals, but aren't the individuals what give the club its identity, its soul, its purpose. So many are hung up on the recent results under Poch and using that to justify and feel good about all this. But what about what he represented and what he made us feel about the club, did none of that mean anything? And are we just suppose to project all of that onto Mourinho now? In an instant, despite everything that has gone on before, just like that....

Maybe it's easy for some, to see clearly through this murk, but for me this a very dark moment.

I bet in the end it came down to a mathematical equation. Levy's people crunched the numbers, looked at the trends on a graph, made some projections going one way or the other, and they decided that this was the gamble with the highest projected return on investment chance. Numbers, that's what turns the great wheel.

Our results is the primary reason.

Dembele is on record saying that the training was too intense. Always wanting 200% even when players are unwell, or not mentally recovered.

His inability to integrate any signings into the squad being another.Majority of his typical first 11 inherited from AVBs squad.

Not dismissing the links to Madrid and United.

Poch was sacked for failing to deliver results, allegedly back in October there were short term targets set and agreed between Poch and Levy, these were obviously not achieved. Levy, as all good CEO's do, started preparing the ground for a change, again allegedly at a meeting last week Poch was told to accept clear performance targets for the next six games and to resign if he failed. After a weekend of thought he refused to accept those terms and was immediately sacked.

By all accounts Levy and Poch got on well but Levy is a cold business man, finishing <10th would cost the club 10's of millions, so if Poch wasn't willing to put his neck on the block then he had to go.

Jose has been lined up for weeks, again allegedly he was expected to come in if a) we blew the CL or b) we were still outside the top six come January ... clearly that changed very suddenly.

It's probably good for Poch he leaves with his reputation nearly intact, will a super club take a risk? I'm not so sure they will but we will see ... pretty sure a few EPL clubs will want him but he wants Spain ...

What does the 'club' mean to you, what does it represent? Do we even represent anything? Or are we just another business lurching around by reactionary fiscally minded decisions to balance the books and make investors happy? If the true fan is one who just immediately goes from 'loving' one manager straight to the next, is any of their support ever real? Or is going through those motions, pretending to love, just another part of the business of football? People keep talking about the club being above the individuals, but aren't the individuals what give the club its identity, its soul, its purpose. So many are hung up on the recent results under Poch and using that to justify and feel good about all this. But what about what he represented and what he made us feel about the club, did none of that mean anything? And are we just suppose to project all of that onto Mourinho now? In an instant, despite everything that has gone on before, just like that....

Maybe it's easy for some, to see clearly through this murk, but for me this a very dark moment.

Do you feel the same every time a manager/player leaves? or is this just a Poch thing?

Attaching yourself to managers and players is fine - when they are wearing the lillywhite - but as soon as they are gone we move on to their replacements. Of course individuals give the club identity but they come and go - Lineker is a cunt of the highest order, as is Judas and a few more, yet we still supported them when they were here.

What did Poch represent? He was a man paid EIGHT MILLION pounds a year to win things ... did he succeed? At the end of the day being a football manager is just a very well paid job, like any other well paid job if you fail to deliver you get replaced ... don't kid yourself Tottenham Hotspur is a business it has been ever since we listed in 1983, clinging to some notion of selfless staff only at the club for the love of the Spurs? That's noble but delusional.

You think Jose is here because he loves Spurs?

Levy, Poch, Jose and the players are in it for the money, and why not ... do you go to work out of love?

Do you feel the same every time a manager/player leaves? or is this just a Poch thing?

Attaching yourself to managers and players is fine - when they are wearing the lillywhite - but as soon as they are gone we move on to their replacements. Of course individuals give the club identity but they come and go - Lineker is a cunt of the highest order, as is Judas and a few more, yet we still supported them when they were here.

What did Poch represent? He was a man paid EIGHT MILLION pounds a year to win things ... did he succeed? At the end of the day being a football manager is just a very well paid job, like any other well paid job if you fail to deliver you get replaced ... don't kid yourself Tottenham Hotspur is a business it has been ever since we listed in 1983, clinging to some notion of selfless staff only at the club for the love of the Spurs? That's noble but delusional.

You think Jose is here because he loves Spurs?

Levy, Poch, Jose and the players are in it for the money, and why not ... do you go to work out of love?
Understanding it doesn’t mean you have to like it.

I am sorry but get a grip.

If there is TRULY nothing more to it than that, then I think it's a shameful decision and Poch deserved more time.

I'm quite certain there's more to it than that. All was not well inside the club, it's been written on everyone's face and body language for months.
"Deserved more time", why? What suggested things were ever going to be turned round? For 11 months we have had relegation form, there has been nothing to suggest this was going to change. Ultimately, it isn't worth finishing 16th because Poch is a nice guy. I mean seriously what is Levy supposed to do? Let the ship sink?

"Deserved more time", why? What suggested things were ever going to be turned round? For 11 months we have had relegation form, there has been nothing to suggest this was going to change. Ultimately, it isn't worth finishing 16th because Poch is a nice guy. I mean seriously what is Levy supposed to do? Let the ship sink?

Is a change in management the most likely thing to lead to success? Or would it be standing by the manager who has brought us such enormous success?

Reasonable people can disagree on that. For me it's a question of how much Poch actually wanted to be here and how engaged he was with pushing the project forward. I have my doubts about that, but being convinced that those things aren't the case would have been the only thing that convinced me to make a change.

This Mourinho thing really might not work. There's more downside than the chatter has let on, IMO.

A risk worth taking, maybe. But a huge risk.

A risk worth taking, maybe. But a huge risk.
The guy has 20 trophies to his name. What are the risks ? We start losing games, the squad becomes demotivated, he loses the dressing room and gets sacked....oh wait a minute...been there, done that. 😎

It's a bold move I admit but at least Levy's showing a desire to put something in the new trophy cabinet.

To dare is to do.... So let's do it !!

Its being reported Poch was sacked after a row with Levy. Poch wanted cameras at a cost of 80k around the club in order to film training sessions. His request was refused. A few days later the club installed Amazon cameras around the club for around the same cost. In order to film a documentary.

Disgusting if true!!

Definitely a worn-out relationship without the possibility of recovery from here until the end of the season. Changing in March would have made no sense. You might as well change in November to remedy the PL. If the team follows Mourinho you can perhaps recover the fourth place.

If I were a Tottenham fan I would appreciate a company that takes Mourinho by investing a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom