Poch sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Espanyol fans all saying they are not surprised - they reckon Poch has a huge ego and that as soon as things get tough he falls apart - Espanyol were 20th and bottom with just 2 wins when he got fired in November 2012, they had already lost 8 games out of the 13 played and the players were in open revolt.

When he left they only lost 2 in the next 13 (Barcelona and Atletico) .... let's hope we follow that pattern ....

I don't really feel that gutted about him being gone? Anybody else feel that way?

Like I am grateful for what he did for this club and I will always remember the good times but I kind of feel like the only reason I rated him as highly as I did is because I thought he was the best our owners would ever give us.

Now we have Mourinho and I kind of feel like Poch was a little overhyped, is that just me?

Absolute clown show. Levy is a joke bleeding this club for his own ego. I get the feeling levy is going to get a lot of karma with the appointment of mourinho. It's going to end in tears, and hopefully Enic, Joe Lewis and levy fucking off back to their tax exile haven.

If it's all transient and distant and cold, then what is the point of getting attached at all, to any of it, at any point? What is the point of supporting any football club if you can so easily see through the facade of the whole thing; the fact there is no difference between the clubs except for how much money they have and it's just random chance that you support the one you do. Does it all just come back to people projecting a sense of community, a warmth and soul to something that is actually an uncaring machine, merely so they can pretend to belong to something bigger, something worthwhile? With the bonus of having an excuse to go drinking and shouting with your mates!

I've always known the truth of it of course, but in times like this it is laid bare in all its ugly uncomfortable mess. Football is no different than organised religion really, it's a lie we tell ourselves and perpetuate in order to find a reason to gather together and feel some connection and safety in an otherwise chaotic brutal existence. All while a few men at the top get rich and richer from the charade.

As I said before, I wasn't indoctrinated from birth, I chose to take part in this. And now I don't know why I should keep going with it. Sunk cost fallacy maybe, or perhaps the pull of wanting to belong, regardless of how false the basis for it, is difficult for me to resist. I don't know really. Maybe if we smash West Ham on Saturday, I'll forget all about any existential crisis and carry on like a good proper fan, supporting our manager and our players, all of whom I love....for as long as they are under contract and producing the adequate results.

Understand what you mean, but if you feel some loyalty towards Poch remember that he stitched up Southampton and their fans to join us, leaving them heartbroken. I'm also convinced at some point he would have left us if a better offer had come along, that's football

my nephew is 8 we bought him the Spurs kit and all the other merch, he now wants to support Liverpool aa they are the best and we are rubbish and who can blame him? it was like that in my school in the 80's and its no different now, footballs always been like this.

Understand what you mean, but if you feel some loyalty towards Poch remember that he stitched up Southampton and their fans to join us, leaving them heartbroken. I'm also convinced at some point he would have left us if a better offer had come along, that's football

my nephew is 8 we bought him the Spurs kit and all the other merch, he now wants to support Liverpool aa they are the best and we are rubbish and who can blame him? it was like that in my school in the 80's and its no different now, footballs always been like this.

Disown him.

Give him time, he will come crawling back.

I support the club but I don't like this guy and don't want him as our manager.

Doesn't matter what I think or want though, he's got the job now and hopefully we'll win on Saturday.

Cry me a river.

Because you care more about personalities than results.

Who gives a fuck if Mourinho is a prick, most footballers and managers are pricks, players like Son and managers like Poch are the exception to the rule (and I wouldn't even say Poch is perfect considering his talking up of the Madrid job right before one of the biggest nights in the clubs history.)

What matters the most is results, Mourinho has a proven track record of winning, he even did it at United when people were claiming he had "lost it."

You just can't stomach the fact that Poch has gone, he was failing the club, that's the thing we support isn't it?

If Mourinho fails us he will get the same treatment because ultimately the club always comes first.

Maybe that's something you should think about or by all means, keep feeling upset because we refused, as a club, to accept mediocrity.

I'll take Mourinho's C.V. against Poch's any day of the week. You really think that Mauricio will win 20 trophies and Jose will lose his golden touch ??

Based on what we've seen, neither of those would surprise me at all.

I would certainly wager that Poch wins more trophies at his next appointment than Mourinho will at Spurs. Not necessarily a fair bet, Poch may well end up at Bayern, but I think the chances that he's a generational legend of a manager are pretty high.

The chances Mourinho is a spent force are even higher, IMO. Hope I'm wrong. I wish both Poch and Mourinho the best.

Isn't that the same with any manager you hire or any player you sign? You buy them or hire based on past achievements and potential what hasn't happened yet. Every hire, fire and purchase is a risk.

Totally agree, the future is uncertain, it's all a question of probabilities.

So he has a history of failing to reinvigorate things that have gone stale, when you pair that with his inability to win trophies it's pretty damning tbh.
Mourinho took over, with all his staff, 12 hours after Poch was sacked. That means negotiations had been going on for months. Poch would certainly have heard about that via the grapevine, probably the senior players knew it as well.

So he has been doing his job, saying all the right things in public, while his boss has been preparing to throw him under the bus. And people wonder why he was looking pissed off ...

Doing his job and saying the right things? If anything, it looked like he was trying to give Levy no option but to fire him.
Can you explain how he did this? I can link to interviews where he takes responsibility for performance, refuses to criticize lack of transfer activity, gives backing to players that are not performing. Why do you think he was he trying to get fired?

Absolute clown show. Levy is a joke bleeding this club for his own ego. I get the feeling levy is going to get a lot of karma with the appointment of mourinho. It's going to end in tears, and hopefully Enic, Joe Lewis and levy fucking off back to their tax exile haven.

A fucking sun article-jog on ffs

Back
Top Bottom