Poch sacked

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will be interesting to see where he ends up next and what he achieves. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes (as long as it's not in the Prem) - but more importantly, I hope that we don't end up regretting this decision. Let's hope we can build on the groundwork he laid to make us an established Champions League side.

Shocked but not surprised.

If Poch wanted to stay and truly believed he could turn it around, I’d have given him more time. Especially as the new players have hardly played. If he wanted out or didn’t believe, then of course it’s time to go.
20 defeats last season. 24 points from last 23 games. No away win in 2019 against current PL team. Knocked out by Colchester. Conceded 7 at home. Dressing room dissent. Negative press conferences.

There are many reasons why he is no longer there.
But we love Poch. And this is sad way to end following a period which promised so much more.
Levy has been swayed by the notion that this squad should have won a trophy. He has gambled that Jose will continue his winning run. If he delivers within two years, it’ll be with at least half this current squad, vindicating Levy going for a “proven winner”.

It could be a car crash of course. As an unlikely marriage as you’ll ever see. But then it’s a mess at the moment anyway and maybe Spurs do need a complete rethink ? Maybe it’s such an unlikely marriage that it will work?
It’s going to be a hell of ride this next 12 months. Expect the first team revolving door to be spinning.

Grab the popcorn, this Amazon Doc is going to be must watch TV.

Thank you Poch. Good luck Jose.

:pochcry:

Let the joyous news be spread... the wicked old witch at last is dead!

The only downside I can think of is that we might have to go back to Wembley for a few games while the pitch is fumigated after the mass exodus of moths from Levy's wallet.

when I chose my username many years ago it reflected my relationship with Spurs. Recently i've been spoilt and forgotten this. Now is the time to dig deep.

Saying that, over the past five years i've loved the way we have evolved, our values, team spirit, work in the community, I feel this has come from the top down and I saw this as long overdue. Maybe i've been lulled into a false sense of security but I don't know how we maintain this going forward? Jose for me is only a short-term solution and makes it all about him...

He isn't my desired candidate but I appreciate he has the minerals to get his teams over the line and will be hungry. I just want stability not a tornado that is going to leave it all spinning when it leaves. If he takes Mason and mentors him this will ease my fear.

Last edited:
So it wasn't a dream.

Shit.

Can't help but think we'll look back on Poch's reign as halycon days compared to what's to come but time will tell.

Poch will always have a special place in my heart and it is regretful that we never managed to taste silverware with him in charge.

If I ever am lucky enough to meet you mate, the first drink is on me!

:dierpochhug:

So so sad.

:pochcry::pochcry::pochcry:

Last edited:
Well, the argument for Mourinho's perceived boring football is that he does what is necessary in order to win at the expense of aesthetics. So in case he does get us playing boring football, we might at least win more games while doing so. That's still a change to what had been going on under Poch lately.

Of course, I don't want us to be playing boring football. I will wait and see what Mourinho comes up with... will not judge him from the start.

Were Man U winning when he was in charge? the firts year yes the rest of his tenure was dire

Poch simply didn't help himself this year, he came under pressure, he folded.

I loved the guy, but his decisions, actions and reactions since the Burnley game have been pretty woeful.
He needs a tougher mentality, and to be more decisive. Oh and to forget about past form of players and to play them due to the form they are in.

It was a fantastic time with Poch 90% of the time. He got us to a position close to succeeding, it's just when we got there, his bottle went.

Levy wanted assurances from Poch and vice-versa at a meeting last week, it seems that yesterday Poch told Levy he didn't accept what had been agreed just a week before, no idea what that was, results? league positron? CL? transfer budget? your guess is as good as mine ..
I think that has to be it. Levy probably said,' look if you dont get us CL will you resign end of the season?' Poch said yes, then changed his mind thinking 'fuck that, Im not losing out on a shit load of money', So levy realizing hes going to lose the money anyway sacked him. Fair on both sides.

I'm gutted, he gave Spurs a proper footballing identity again - we absolutely blew teams away at times over the last few years and it was a joy to watch.

It always filled me with a smug sense of pride when pundits (and neutrals) up and down the country were talking us up, giving us praise for our aggressive, pressing style of play and for doing things "the right way".

The sad truth is though, we haven't been that team for a good while now - the final nail in the coffin was obviously the CL final but it had been festering for a while; 2019 Poch was not the same manager, 2019 Tottenham not the same team.

I strongly feel like last summers barren transfer window played a big part it this, but there's no point going over old rehashed ground now - what's done is done.

Personally, I detest Mourinho and I always have - he's the antithesis of "Tottenham" to me; rude, arrogant, classless and has always needed piles of money, but... he's a winner? I'll do my best to put aside my preconceptions and support the new boss and of course, the team.

Were Man U winning when he was in charge? the firts year yes the rest of his tenure was dire

He won 2 trophies (3 if you want to include the Community Shield) with a squad that was arguably inferior to ours. It got toxic in the end (which I believe most of us admitted is a concern), but he did win things with them.

It's a sad end to a wonderful period being a spurs supporter.

I hope the away supporters on Saturday sing "he's magic, you know" for several minutes, and that it's taken as respect and gratitude, and not as defiance or anger.

Back
Top Bottom