Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
Is the possession game stifling the players' creativity a bit? Would anyone else other than myself prefer us to be more direct more often?

To me, half of them look scared to give it away. Very few risks on the ball creatively, especially without Eriksen in the team.

Yea, that have been the case for quite some time.
We don't just play winning football - we play possession football. Slow, protective, low-risk football.

And that's why we lost to ManU and Chelsea in domestic cup SF's - they played winning football, we didn't. And absolutely nothing has changed in this regard. If anything we have become even slower and more possession based. But not in a good way like ManCity does this.

That's why I voted yes here, and that's why I am afraid Poch time is up.

I lost faith in him delivering us any titles like 2 or 1,5 years ago. But at least I felt that he was keeping up the good momentum and feeling of progress. And he seemed to be able to hold the squad together because of this feeling of progress + close relationship with them. Now I don't see either unfortunately.

P.S I would just leave this here - we have been in steady decline since mid 17/18 season. And it just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. Now topped with 15 points in 15 games.

P.P.S his press conferences are becoming just pathetic. Like Mourinho in his worst days. Why whine about the transfer window being open? It is open for other 19 teams as well. And why would you once say that "we don't sell any players I dont want to sell" and then come whining "ah, they should just call me coach not manager, I don't have any say in that"... and so on. Get a grip. Admit your own mistakes as well rather then blame whadever reasons.

Last edited:
Honestly. The lunatics have taken over the asylum. Consistent Top-4 finishes and a CL final not achievements? With our net spend? With our turnover vs the other Big 6? Poch has done wonders, keeping us competitive at the top-end through Wembley and into NWHL. This place is just becoming a haven for armchair whingebags.
This argument that the players are so good that we should be doing better than they are, is quite mad. How can you divorce the players so cleanly from the manager in this way? How can any fan know, with anything approaching a degree of certainty, that Poch is not getting the best out of Eriksen, Dele, Kane etc? Or if in fact he's getting the best out of most of them, and they perhaps aren't all players who would thrive at any other top club?

I think we can all agree that Ranieri did well with his title-winning Leicester squad, but beyond that it's hard for anyone to answer this sort of question. Whilst someone like Fergie has proven he can do well at clubs of different sizes, we don't have so much of a clue with many of the so-called top managers today; until Pep or Klopp manage Palace/Millwall/Southend we don't know exactly how good they are. Even with Poch it is hard to clearly determine the answer. Yes, we might soar if we get rid of Poch and found someone else who is the right fit. But on the other hand, we might be getting rid of the best manager we've had in an extremely long time.

All we can say with any degree of certainty is that we can all see where we were before Poch and where we have got to. And for that you can't take three games, or even 15 league games or whatever it is, as a sample size. One, two seasons of poor results, then yes, maybe you're onto something. The irony is that fan expectation being so high is in itself a sign of how much Poch has achieved at Spurs. If, before he had taken over, you had said that 15% of people would want the manager out after finishing top four for 4 consecutive seasons, getting to the CL final, and then starting the season with two good results and one bad one (whatever the circumstances) and all this with zero net spend, or close to it, then people would have thought you were mad.

We don't have a crystal ball and we don't know what the right thing to do is. We have a limited pool of evidence and beyond that our opinions become the subjective ramblings of self-proclaimed experts who have little, or more commonly no, experience of working within a professional football background. The limited evidence says we would be mad to get rid of this man at this stage.

Questions I would ask those who want him out, has there been any manager, in the last 25 years at Spurs, that you have been happy with and wanted to stay? If the answer is no, then do you not think that the problem might be your expectations? And that this brilliant manager you dream of who will suddenly be able to deliver league and CL titles to N17 might be a little harder to find than you think?

This argument that the players are so good that we should be doing better than they are, is quite mad. How can you divorce the players so cleanly from the manager in this way? How can any fan know, with anything approaching a degree of certainty, that Poch is not getting the best out of Eriksen, Dele, Kane etc? Or if in fact he's getting the best out of most of them, and they perhaps aren't all players who would thrive at any other top club?

I think we can all agree that Ranieri did well with his title-winning Leicester squad, but beyond that it's hard for anyone to answer this sort of question. Whilst someone like Fergie has proven he can do well at clubs of different sizes, we don't have so much of a clue with many of the so-called top managers today; until Pep or Klopp manage Palace/Millwall/Southend we don't know exactly how good they are. Even with Poch it is hard to clearly determine the answer. Yes, we might soar if we get rid of Poch and found someone else who is the right fit. But on the other hand, we might be getting rid of the best manager we've had in an extremely long time.

All we can say with any degree of certainty is that we can all see where we were before Poch and where we have got to. And for that you can't take three games, or even 15 league games or whatever it is, as a sample size. One, two seasons of poor results, then yes, maybe you're onto something. The irony is that fan expectation being so high is in itself a sign of how much Poch has achieved at Spurs. If, before he had taken over, you had said that 15% of people would want the manager out after finishing top four for 4 consecutive seasons, getting to the CL final, and then starting the season with two good results and one bad one (whatever the circumstances) and all this with zero net spend, or close to it, then people would have thought you were mad.

We don't have a crystal ball and we don't know what the right thing to do is. We have a limited pool of evidence and beyond that our opinions become the subjective ramblings of self-proclaimed experts who have little, or more commonly no, experience of working within a professional football background. The limited evidence says we would be mad to get rid of this man at this stage.

Questions I would ask those who want him out, has there been any manager, in the last 25 years at Spurs, that you have been happy with and wanted to stay? If the answer is no, then do you not think that the problem might be your expectations? And that this brilliant manager you dream of who will suddenly be able to deliver league and CL titles to N17 might be a little harder to find than you think?

Nailed it or to put it more succinctly; the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

I don't think Poch is holding us back, I suspect it's actually ENIC.

What a fantastic post

Top post. Last season was a tough slog at times but I honestly think our achievements then are hugely underestimated and hugely underrated. Our squad was broken in Jan/Feb. How we ended up in the CL places and in the CL final is nothing short of a miracle. Poch needs the support of the whole club around him - and especially the Board. I hope he’s getting it.

Great post

I find this pretty preposterous tbh.

Does that mean until Tony Pulis manages Barcelona we don't know how good he is?

And by the way, Klopp took over a Mainz team staring down relegation to the third division, and had them playing European football within 5 years.
Have you cleaned yourself up yet

You guys advocating that Poch should go can all go and fuck yourselves.

You're a disgrace and have obviously been spoilt under Poch. Maybe he hasn't underachieved with this group of players but has overachieved.

Big clubs weren't exactly banging down the doors for Toby and Eriksen were they? Maybe their scouts don't think they're all that. Let's face it the only player we have that would be coveted by the big boys is Kane, that's it.

Be careful of what you wish for.
Exactly the yahoos down’t road wanted rid of their most prolific manager in years couldn’t wait to see the back of him and he did a dam sight more for them than Pochettino has for us! And what’s happened to them grass......no always greener.

Well put.

I still stick with my vote though. Which was basically in answer to the question is there a managerial change on the horizon?

I think there is. Maybe this season. Maybe the end of it.

He doesn’t seem happy at all. When another club comes flashing their eyes at him I don’t think the pull of our club will be what it once was. And you can sense a shift in the fan base attitude. It’s a bit of a slippery slope.

There does seem to be unrest within the squad - and is worrying that he is happy to talk so openly about it. It’s clear Trippier was alluding to something- yet he got called a cunt for saying it.

The squad needs a major reshuffle which he is trying to achieve but I don’t believe the backing from the board is the same he could get elsewhere.

But I know fuck all. The same as the rest on here.

Anything can and will happen in football. The reality is one day he will leave our club. And I just hope he has a say in when that is.

The Pochettino era soon enters its most critical month.

Too easy to blame Levy and to a large extent Pochettino but there seems to have been a breakdown in vision on the pitch. Issues over contracts and decisions on preferred players have really caught up with us.

We are way too stale and it is going to take this season to change that because 4 or 5 players are way below their optimum and Pochettino has become an unknown quantity.

Pochettino needed to have won something by now and it's becoming clear that top 4 each season is not and should never have been enough.

Well put.

I still stick with my vote though. Which was basically in answer to the question is there a managerial change on the horizon?

I think there is. Maybe this season. Maybe the end of it.

He doesn’t seem happy at all. When another club comes flashing their eyes at him I don’t think the pull of our club will be what it once was. And you can sense a shift in the fan base attitude. It’s a bit of a slippery slope.

There does seem to be unrest within the squad - and is worrying that he is happy to talk so openly about it. It’s clear Trippier was alluding to something- yet he got called a cunt for saying it.

The squad needs a major reshuffle which he is trying to achieve but I don’t believe the backing from the board is the same he could get elsewhere.

But I know fuck all. The same as the rest on here.

Anything can and will happen in football. The reality is one day he will leave our club. And I just hope he has a say in when that is.

Good post.

Last season's squad inertia is magnified now because buying 4 players in a window is good although I cannot believe one was not a striker - quite amazing really.

The squad HAD to be refreshed last season. The rot started with Rose being kept and Alderweireld not being sold. It showed a shift in power for me.

Now it's discontent and problematic because players who don't want to be there and have slated the club are retained. Same with Pogba and United. It's counter-productive.

Pochettino and Levy are to blame. Pochettino is likely to go before too long unless things change dramatically.

And maybe we just need a new manager although the newbies would feel somewhat betrayed if that happened.

26 too many in my book, well 25 as we all know who would have voted Yes!

Oh man up you massive tart.........the day Poch leaves, will you back the new guy, or spend your days crying about the old manager.

FFS, I swear some of you think you are related to the man. He is here because he earns 9M a year. Otherwise he´d be at Real Madrid.....get that into your sentimental little skull.

This is a results based, money driven sport, and like in any other company, when the results and performances dont match the wage packet, its the manager that gets looked at, not the board.
Financially, the club is EXACTLY where it wants to be (remember that, it is doing exactly what IT wants, not what YOU want it to do), so your fantasies about Levy leaving are no more than a sloppy wet dream.

Wake up.....on the pitch we are not delivering, so aside from offing 75% of the squad, the manager is the one being looked at.

Oh man up you massive tart.........the day Poch leaves, will you back the new guy, or spend your days crying about the old manager.

FFS, I swear some of you think you are related to the man. He is here because he earns 9M a year. Otherwise he´d be at Real Madrid.....get that into your sentimental little skull.

This is a results based, money driven sport, and like in any other company, when the results and performances dont match the wage packet, its the manager that gets looked at, not the board.
Financially, the club is EXACTLY where it wants to be (remember that, it is doing exactly what IT wants, not what YOU want it to do), so your fantasies about Levy leaving are no more than a sloppy wet dream.

Wake up.....on the pitch we are not delivering, so aside from offing 75% of the squad, the manager is the one being looked at.

90% agree.

There are some issues, mostly around the timing of the Premier League's transfer window that are disproportionately affecting our squad which Pochettino cannot be blamed for but there are just too many other things for me.

Lack of playing philosophy or one that is clear, complete obsession with Kane and his overall inconsistency.

There would be no shortage of quality managers to take Pochettino's place that is for sure.

There are some issues, mostly around the timing of the Premier League's transfer window that are disproportionately affecting our squad which Pochettino cannot be blamed for but there are just too many other things for me.

He has known about the window since the summerof 2018 when he lauded the change.
This is just a bullshit excuse....he gambled on Eriksen committing and it has slapped him.

If the Dybala swap rumour is true and he regtrets rejecting it, then he cant blame the window closing early. The sale of Eriksen should have been a priority, but he decided keeping him was. Then he drops him.

Back
Top Bottom