POCH BACK

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you now trade Poch for Mourinho

• Take Poch back

Votes: 72 45.9%
  • Keep faith with Mourinho

Votes: 85 54.1%

• Total voters
The denial is still strong.

What people are really saying is that they want the 2016 team back. A team which he wasted which absolutely no one complained about.

14th in the league, smashed by Brighton, defeat by Newcastle at home, defeat on penalties to Colchester, crushed by Bayern. All with Kane and Son available.

There was a reason why he got sacked.

Why are some trying to turn this into a Poch vs Mourinho argument?

The decision to sack Poch was the correct one - 25 points from 24 league games tells you that.

The decision to appoint Jose remains to be seen if it was a good one.

Two completely separate things

I understand how painful this rebuild is at the moment. Id just be happier with Poch still at the wheel. I belive he gets us more as a fan base and in the longer run we'd be a more successful club. So if the rest of season seriously nose dive and levy has to reevaluate his decision in the summer would you take Poch back? Or has the ship sailed?

I didn't want him gone either, but understand why it happened. Not so sure him coming back would be such a great idea. Although we love it when a player/manager seems to genuinely feel the same about our Club as us, it doesn't necessarily work out in terms of success.
I will always thank the footballing gods that we had Poch when we did and appreciate everything he did for us; his efforts should not be belittled by people who thinks he was a failure because he did not win a trophy.
However, he had a team that was more than good enough to capture silverware, so there has to be a question mark against his ability to take that final step in producing a winning team.
His behaviour after the Final wasn't the best, and it's as if he was pushing for the sack. It's like a guy who is getting a little bored with his other half, thinks it will be a good idea to have a fling and when he gets dumped, realises the grass isn't always greener.
(Not putting all the blame on Poch for it all going tits up, every department from the chairman down has to take responsibility fro our deterioration, which started before the CL Final.)
I wish him well in his endeavours, but not in the PL, it would hurt too much to see him do well at another Club in England.

What's 'success' - is getting to a CL final not successful enough for you? We lost the final because after 30 secs some clown stuck his hand up in the pen box and the opposite cheated by kicking the ball at his hand to take advantage of a ludicrous law. There are a million and one things that could have happened but did or didn't - thats life, you win some and lose some. It's not failure.

What follows then is half of season of understandable anti-climax from players who had given their all and a bunch of self-righteous fans who 'demand' silverware because somehow they need it to feel good about their lives and so we sack our best manager since Bill Nick - someone who should (and would) have built a dynasty like Wenger or Ferguson.

The day we sacked him this club lost a small part of its identity as it drifts towards becoming just another corporate money-sucking machine - 50 years a fan and Ive never been more ashamed of the club. And half the fans cheered his sacking.

He had us playing the best football I’ve ever seen us play. He’s a legend and I’ll always love him, but there was no way he could have carried on. The players weren’t playing for him, we were in awful form for a year, it wasn’t just a patch

Deep down Poch will know that the parting of ways was right. The CL final broke the magic spell he cast on the team, they all lost their belief in each other and became a team that could concede 7 goals at home.

But I'd be very happy for him to manage us again in the future, I just believe that it's impossible for any manager to stay at a top club for 5+ years without winning anything. Our players worked very hard for 5 years and ran through brick walls for him, yet they had nothing to show for it despite coming close. The only fix was to change the playing staff or change the coaching staff, because they weren't responding to each other anymore.

If in 10 years time there is an opportunity for Poch to return and work with a totally new squad, I hope it happens. I also hope he wins something in the next 10 years so he gets that monkey off his back. He's too good a manager to have a career without any silverware.

What's 'success' - is getting to a CL final not successful enough for you? We lost the final because after 30 secs some clown stuck his hand up in the pen box and the opposite cheated by kicking the ball at his hand to take advantage of a ludicrous law. There are a million and one things that could have happened but did or didn't - thats life, you win some and lose some. It's not failure.

What follows then is half of season of understandable anti-climax from players who had given their all and a bunch of self-righteous fans who 'demand' silverware because somehow they need it to feel good about their lives and so we sack our best manager since Bill Nick - someone who should (and would) have built a dynasty like Wenger or Ferguson.

The day we sacked him this club lost a small part of its identity as it drifts towards becoming just another corporate money-sucking machine - 50 years a fan and Ive never been more ashamed of the club. And half the fans cheered his sacking.
Best manager since Nicholson? Nope. I think you'll find Burkinshaw holds that 'title'.

a8cb4d3cb58496558f7238416bf23c74--tottenham-hotspur-players-manager.jpg

Second is nothing

Nope, second is a lot different to nothing. All those memories of the run into the final, the Ajax and Man City games - I was there, those memories are not nothing. Not to me anyway. Just the same as my memories of Hoddle, Ardiles & Gascoigne - they didn't win the league or the European cup either. That doesn't make me 'a loser' my friend.

I agree, of course I do, that winning a star would have been sweet, much sweeter than second but life is defined by how you act, not how rich you are. Football is defined by how you play, not how much you win.

Back
Top Bottom