Paul Mitchell resigns

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've seen gossip re Mitchell that it as a case of being a third wheel. Between having a strong manager (Pochettino) and a strong owner (Levy) there's little room for a DoF with a strong personality. So, he got frustrated and is on gardening leave until a future date.

Mackenzie was really good, sad to see him leave, but if you know you haven't got a DoF role above you to shoot for, I guess you have to go elsewhere when wanting that kind of promotion.

This is something I take issue with. Just because Poch has been given the title Manager, does not make it mutually exclusive with having a DOF[insert whatever bullshit title for the leader of the team responsible for finding new players]. If anything it should be possible to use it more efficiently now as Poch should be able to set a directive for what he's looking for so the scouts/DOF/Whatever can use their time more efficiently. Allowing Poch to spend his time weighted more towards the players already at the club, but still 100% comfortable knowing the recruitment department is working towards getting in players that will fit the rest of the squad.
But Mitchell is not a DoF. The point I was making was maybe Mitchelle wants to be a DoF, this world be seen as a good career progression for an ambitious man. But because Poch has been given a more powerful role at the club maybe Mitchell can't advance his career, so has handed his notice in.

Everyone is saying that Mitchell is at Spurs because they worked together at Southampton, I am saying that might not be the case, Poch's comments on Mitchell upon joining clearerly state it was nothing to do with him and it was down to the club. He is clearly distancing himself from the decision to bring him in. Maybe Poch doesn't rate him and never has. Maybe Poch wants to bring in his own man??

If's butts and total guesswork on my part, just putting out an alternative point of view, especially as Poch has been given the power and responsibility, only a handful of weeks ago.

Worrying stuff.

1. If Poch is not ok with them leaving, and shares the frustrations they felt before resigning, that might be a disaster.
2. If they are leaving because Poch wants a greater say in scouting and signing of players, that might take time and focus from his other dealings - such as training and match preparations. That might become a big problem.

I really do hope this is happening because it's what Poch wants, and that we have or will bring in others that can work with Poch on transfer matters so that he can keep focusing on getting the most out of the squad and the academy.

I think that it's a case of, if you want to be a strong Sporting Director/Director of Football type, we are simply not the club for you. We have a very involved owner, and a very involved manager. I don't see the space necessary for one to work within. If you have aspirations of being an English Monchi, and I think Mitchell and Mackenzie both do, then you're going to have to go out to go up.
This may be true, but I get the feeling that the truth is likely to be that he felt he couldn't work with Levy's haggling tightwad approach. I can imagine it can be frustrating, especially if you think a deal is getting away from you because of it.

Just out of interest, why would it matter if a deal got over the line or not? His job is to identify players, he still gets paid for identifying players. Obviously if he gets dosh/commission on a player comes in then that might point to some frustration, but what idiot you would have to be to sign a deal like that???
Because his career is built on being a finder of great talent. If a club doesn't sign that talent and his discovery vindicated, how does his reputation build?

If he's thrown his toys out of the pram because we don't throw money at 'maybe' players

He wouldn't be the only one who does this, unfortunately.

Seems like he suggested some obvious names and got angry when we wouldn't give them high wages, however I think PM clearly misunderstood his role in that case.

He's here to find cheap gems and not much more.

He wouldn't be the only one who does this, unfortunately.

Seems like he suggested some obvious names and got angry when we wouldn't give them high wages, however I think PM clearly misunderstood his role in that case.

He's here to find cheap gems and not much more.

Definitely.

If we can get Berbatovs and Modrics from him, then great. But Levy is a football fan, and I'm sure he wouldn't need to pay someone to point out the kind of players that Mitchell has been credited to.

Because his career is built on being a finder of great talent. If a club doesn't sign that talent and his discovery vindicated, how does his reputation build?
We are never going to sign players who just want the money, he should know this and know that if we do sign one of his recommendations then they are coming because they want to play for the club, then its a win win, his rep is enhanced. If he is upset about Batshuayi well its obvious he is a mercenary prick who deserves all he gets at the Chavs and does not deserve to be at Spurs, get over it and move on or in this case resign.

paddy spur paddy spur Interesting that you disagree about Mitchell with Son's recruitment. Do you think he was an unknown or what?
Never ment to disagree I think your right glorified scouts the lot of them. Levy also too hands on, so a proper FD gets squeezed between a proper chairman and a proper manger. That's why levy goes through FD quicker than za za gabour got through hubands

That's what I said. How the fuck did he get on at Southampton if he couldn't sign players for £30m+ and pay them £100k a week+?
He was brought here because we need to be identifying talent that is in the 5-20m price range. Because of his success at Saints. we won't be spending massively like that and he knew about the financial situation & wage structure when he came here. How much did we say was earmarked for transfers then £150m?
It must be all bollocks. If Chelsea, Man U or City want a player you have identified and are willing to pay more in both fee and wages then forget it.

Fuck Paul Mitchell and his shampoo.

Back
Top Bottom