Our wealth of young academy talent

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder what is the true cost of club trained vs bought in ?
Say someone like Caulker was paid a graduating amt thru from junior to senior over 5yrs say equv £1mill then Add shared cost of training/facilities/cost of games etc could see another £1mill. So yeah we made money on him but lost or recouped a % on others, too long to list.
But i could say we would be in front
But the real benefit of internal growth is knowing the player as opposed to guessing eg Bentley, Paulinho who set us back big on £'s.
Now of the one's coming thru who will benefit us imo are:
Veljkovic, Winks, Alkindini, Harrison, Walker-Peters, Oligvie, Ball, McEvoy, Fredericks

Fidel - sounds like you think we should give up on our academy and youth, and buy so called top players from other clubs for hefty transfer fees/ and salaries,.
The mentality of if you don't spend over £15 million on a player he can't be no good is daft, Soldado and Paulinho were supposed to be top players before they came here combined fee £43 million,
Mason and Kane possibly already better players ( on current form ) FREE
Is Lamela really worth £30 million Townsend FREE
Wolf , I'n many ways I agree . As we have become the messiahs of buying damaged goods ,
our next step to rely on academy players to justify the expense of the set up.
Nothing wrong in one sense , but as teams can constantly buy proven stars and this
becomes a blunt sword if not combined with real net spend in the first 11.
Both go hand in hand and is unfair to academy players and causes constant fan friction.
Our owners have not the ability to create a platform for success .

the point is our academy is actually churning out premier league caliber footballers now hence the top level as in top league in the country you negative cunts

I don't remember ever having so many academy products or players who we've developed from a young age all coming thru looking like they can make it at Tottenham or at least elsewhere in the top league in the country and long may it continue

Last edited:
I'm amazed if people can't see the positive direction our Academy/Development squad is taking. The likes pf Livermore and Caulker are established PL-footballers that got us good fees that can make us invest more in future hopefuls such as Yahaya for instance. On top of that we have sold loads of players to different Levels of League football like Obika, Dawkins and Luongo, even those sales are success stories for the Academy. In our current squad we have (Rose), Bentaleb, Townsend, Mason, Carroll, Vejlkovic, Kane and that is a massive improvement on what we used to have. Look a few years ahead and the group will either be established Spurs players or they have earned us more cash to reinvest in future talent.

In the Academy these days there are many hopefuls. Yahaya has been mentioned, but needs to bed in in the country and learn the Language (he also needs to actually play..:) ), but Walker-Peters, Harrison, Winks, Carter-Vickers, Georgiou, Lameiras, Ogilvie, Ceballos, Oduwa, Onomah, Lesniak, Akindayini etc there might be someone that can keep their Development going.

The direction is positive, it might get even better with time. But if you want to slag off our development you have have chosen the worst timing in 30 years to do it..

What we are getting from the development squad us getting better all the time. We have pull because were a London team with outstanding facilities and in the best league with players often going on to even bigger clubs.
As we've not had he facilities all that long I reckon we are only starting to see the impact from that and players younger will benefit for even longer so I am expecting improvement for a few years yet.
Also we don't know how good the players recently through will get. They're young and need more time. Kane for instance could end up at WBA, at Spurs as third choice or as first choice. Time will tell.

The thing with academy players is that it takes years to actually come to fruition. Our academy structure was completely overhauled in 2005. The players in that year's U8 team are just about coming into the oldest age groups. So in the next 3/4 years or so we can fully judge whether it has been successful or not. When you figure that players such as Townsend, Caulker, Mason, Kane etc have been brought through into the first team in the last few seasons, I think it's a massive improvement on what we had produced pre-2005.

it's massively important that we put resources into developing our own players, as these are the ones that have the club in their hearts and give that extra 5% in big matches. They are the ones that have been brought up with the values of the club, the ones that give more than just performances on the pitch.

The future looks good, I just hope we continue to see some more players get first team opportunities.

Wouldn't call Rose and Bentaleb products of our academy but I agree with the sentiment. The new training facility should be a catalyst of more to come.
Signing academy forms means you're pretty much an academy player.

Then Bentaleb, Caulker and few others never had an academy since they struggled to find a club?

If you count that then these players aren't products of La Masia despite wildly being acclaimed to be:
Pedro, Busquets and Puyol.

These three players are wildly held as products of barca's academy but were older/same age than rose and Bentaleb when they joined our academy

Signing academy forms means you're pretty much an academy player.

Then Bentaleb, Caulker and few others never had an academy since they struggled to find a club?

If you count that then these players aren't products of La Masia despite wildly being acclaimed to be:
Pedro, Busquets and Puyol.

These three players are wildly held as products of barca's academy but were older/same age than rose and Bentaleb when they joined our academy
huh? Why has Barcelona been brought up?

Even if our players aren't making it through to our first team, they are ending up at teams higher up the leagues now. Ten years ago you had the likes of Mark Gower ending up at Southend, now we have the likes of Jake Livermore ending up playing in an FA cup final for Hull. It's not going to make the world of football stop and take note, but it's progress. If they keep up that progress one of our youngsters could turn out to be the next Bale or Modric in ten years time.

Because you said you didn't class Rose & Bentaleb as academy products if you feel that way then you cant class Pedro, Busquets & Puyol as Barcelona Academy Graduates.
I haven't classed Pedro, Busquets or Puyol as anything so not sure why you're telling me I can't do it. Nor am I getting the point of why they've been brought up in the first place.

I haven't classed Pedro, Busquets or Puyol as anything so not sure why you're telling me I can't do it. Nor am I getting the point of why they've been brought up in the first place.
If you did class them as products of the Barcelona Academy then that would make you a hypocrite. He brought them up because they were brought into there Academy in the same way Rose & Bentaleb were and is making the point everyone classes the Barce trio as there graduates so in the same way Rose & Bentaleb are our graduates too. Sorry but if you genuinely had no clue why they were brought up then you must have learning difficulties. If you do have them, im not sorry for pointing them out whatsoever :)

If you did class them as products of the Barcelona Academy then that would make you a hypocrite. He brought them up because they were brought into there Academy in the same way Rose & Bentaleb were and is making the point everyone classes the Barce trio as there graduates so in the same way Rose & Bentaleb are our graduates too. Sorry but if you genuinely had no clue why they were brought up then you must have learning difficulties. If you do have them, im not sorry for pointing them out whatsoever :)
you were obviously taught to debate at the same school as Sammy.
Pick up on a point that was not made by the person you are debating something with (loosely associated with the discussion) - and then attempt to beat them to death with that very point.
When this is pointed out to you, defend yourself by questioning their intelligence.
When all else fails - start swearing like docker, is the next phase

:)

you were obviously taught to debate at the same school as Sammy.
Pick up on a point that was not made by the person you are debating something with (loosely associated with the discussion) - and then attempt to beat them to death with that very point.
When this is pointed out to you, defend yourself by questioning their intelligence.
When all else fails - start swearing like docker, is the next phase

:)
The same applies for you :)

If you did class them as products of the Barcelona Academy then that would make you a hypocrite. He brought them up because they were brought into there Academy
Huh? Then you could do the same for ANY other academy in World football where the situations are similar.

everyone classes the Barce trio as there graduates
I haven't given you an opinion on how I view this trio, so how you can assume what mine is, is arrogant and wrong.

Sorry but if you genuinely had no clue why they were brought up then you must have learning difficulties. If you do have them, im not sorry for pointing them out whatsoever :)

The irony of you saying that with the state of your spelling and grammar.

The internet, ladies and gentlemen.

Basically the point is people say the Barcelona academy is great because of the likes of Puyol, Xavi and etc. there was a big fuss about the fact they played a game with nothing but players from their academy. However if Rose and Bentaleb are not classed as academy graduates then neither should Puyol, Pedro and Busquets.

The ajax academy is renowned as one of the best but these players shouldn't be classed as academy players if the two above aren't:
Eriksen (joined when he was 16)
Vertonghen (signed at 16)
Boilesen (signed at 17)
Anderson (signed at 18)

Bentaleb was 16 when he was having a trial with us.

Back
Top Bottom