Our wealth of young academy talent

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Townsend, Bentaleb, Kane, Rose all part of the first team squad and the likes of Livermore and Caulker pulling in big fees it is awesome to see our academy finally bearing top level fruit in abundance all over the pitch. For years it seemed we mainly churned out lower league dross King aside but the last season or 2 our academy has really started to show us the way forward. There's not much more fulfilling in football than watching your club develop top level players so long may it continue. Now we just need to find the next Messi before anyone else does and tell him he's to wooden and maybe footie aint for him lol.........

:gazza:

Last edited:
Do ya reckon it's a product of the training facilities being amongst the best in the world. I guess that couldn't do nothing but help attract a better caliber of player to the club. I just love the whole Ajax or Barca way of developing more players than you buy.

why would it be?

our academy products have clearly made giant strides in recent seasons pulling in millions on transfer fees and turning out for the first team looking like they belong in the premier league
Your not an Ade fan are you Mad Yid!

Your not an Ade fan are you Mad Yid!

I don't mind Ade. I'm not a big fan of his laid back mentality at times and the AVB stuff rubbed me the wrong way big time but currently at the beginning of October I'm a huge Ade fan lol

he's due a couple tomorrow too

An interesting stat: only 1 in 17 Spurs academy players go on to establish themselves in the premier league let alone the Spurs team, should increase though if we keep hold of Poch and he does what he done at Espanyol although I can't see Levy giving Poch free reign over selection.

we played a big part in developing Rose though

got him just after his 17th birthday as a pacey midfielder and now he's turning into a very competent top level wing back

our academy and training facilities have come on shit loads over the last decade, we're actually developing top level technically sound players now and that's the most important thing a football club can do

I just hope we keep Poch around for 5+ seasons at least and he instills a real attacking flair in our play. We're on the cusp of greatness I tell yee.

I don't know if it's still true but when he was sold Caulker was one of our top ten biggest sales ever. Livermore was not far behind Caulker's price either. Impressive. Even if they weren't players who had a role here that's still 16-18m in the coffers to buy other players. Shows the value of having a quality academy without even addressing all the graduates in and around the first team.

Mad Yid Mad Yid Top level fruit, really? I wouldn't call any of them barring Rose on current form a starter of that lot.
It sure is nice seeing the academy pay dividence, but there's still quite some ways (and luck) to go before we are making truly top level players.

Well if the point of the Academy is that we have no
money to spend on real quality (lowest net spenders in
league over last 5years) and fill the team with the likes
of Rose, Benty , Kane etc. Then someone better switch the lights off.
A noble cause but as most clubs above us can buy endless
constant high quality players and we produce midtable plodders at best , then sadly this is ineffective
at the highest level .
If this is the way to Levy's 'Next Level ' then many would
consider this a Trojan Horse strategy.

Well if the point of the Academy is that we have no
money to spend on real quality (lowest net spenders in
league over last 5years) and fill the team with the likes
of Rose, Benty , Kane etc. Then someone better switch the lights off.
A noble cause but as most clubs above us can buy endless
constant high quality players and we produce midtable plodders at best , then sadly this is ineffective
at the highest level .
If this is the way to Levy's 'Next Level ' then many would
consider this a Trojan Horse strategy.

Whilst I don't entirely disagree with your point the most successful team of the last 25 years was built on the class of 92.

Every club is having to find new ways around FFP - ours seems to be player development.

Whilst I don't entirely disagree with your point the most successful team of the last 25 years was built on the class of 92.

Every club is having to find new ways around FFP - ours seems to be player development.
The game is sadly a completely different beast since 92.
FFP has many ways of being doctored at little disadvantage to the culprits .
Only if they are stupid as City they pay a price but one they are willing to accept .
The pain is worth the gain .

Fidel - sounds like you think we should give up on our academy and youth, and buy so called top players from other clubs for hefty transfer fees/ and salaries,.
The mentality of if you don't spend over £15 million on a player he can't be no good is daft, Soldado and Paulinho were supposed to be top players before they came here combined fee £43 million,
Mason and Kane possibly already better players ( on current form ) FREE
Is Lamela really worth £30 million Townsend FREE

Back
Top Bottom