Our best eleven

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is our best eleven, assuming everyone is fit and in top form?

The debatables for me are
LCB - Lenglet is a better passer, but Davies is more solid defensively. Lenglet probably has more potential overall but I haven't seen enough of him to judge.
RWB - Doherty is probably the most creative, but is poor defensively. Emerson is a good defender but limited going forward. Spence can defend and attack and I think will offer the best balance overall.
CM - I really like Skipp and am excited to see him progress this year. Hojbjerg has improved and I'm sure Conte would have him in his best eleven. However I'm going for Bissouma and Bentancur to be our best CM 2 this year.

[FORMATION=343, Lloris, Romero, Dier, Davies, Spence, Bissouma, Bentancur, Perisic, Kulusevski, Kane, Son][/FORMATION]

You've made a big mistake in not including Skipp.

Also, where's the analysis of the front row? I see no mention of Richarlison, who some people would prefer to Sonny at the moment.

I think midfield will be hardest, I can see any of Bentancur, Skipp, Hojbjerg and Bissouma becoming the regulars. If I was too guess by the end of the season

Lloris
Romero Dier Lenglet
Spence Bissouma Bentancur Perisic
Kulusevski Kane Richarlison

But could easily swap Son, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Davies in.

Now?

Lloris
Romero dier davies
Doherty Hojberg bentancur perisic
Kulu Kane son

What I think it will be the best;

Lloris

Romero dier lenglet
Spence bissouma/skipp bentancur perisic
Kulu Kane son/richy

against parked bus
-------------------------lloris---------------------
--------romero-----dier------lenglet----------
doherty------bentancur--biss-------perisic
-------kulu-----------kane-----------rich

against the sides that come out to play, swap rich for son, could swap doc for emerson and maybe lenglet for davies but well see how well lenglet actually defends in one on one situations in this setup where he has team mates fairly local to help. think PEH you can rotate, have to see what skipps like when hes back and fit its been so long and a lot has changed since then.

I think 3-4-3 doesn't work for us.

Best 11:

-----------------------Lloris------------------------
Emerson----Romero----Lenglet---------Perisic
-------------Bentancur---Bissouma-------------
Son/Moura--------Kulusevski------------Richarlison
----------------------Kane-------------------------

MF, RWB, and LCB are really the only positions that are up for grabs in my view. Sonny is in putrid form right now but at their best, I'm taking Sonny over Richarlison fairly easily.

MF - I think in theory, Bissouma with Bentancur looks the sexiest in our MF2. However, it is very apparent that PEH is our #1 MF according to Conte. He's played nearly every minute of every PL match. If Bissouma is taking anyone's place in the XI while Conte is here, it is at the expense of Bentancur not PEH.

RWB - Choosing between these options is like playing one of Jigsaw's games in the Saw movies. I guess I choose Spence because of the unknown but this is a problem area that will absolutely need to be addressed in the coming windows unless Spence just explodes onto the scene.

LCB - For me, if we're playing with Sanchez at RCB (due to injury to Romero, rotation, suspension, etc) then Lenglet needs to play over Davies. We cannot have Sanchez, Dier and Davies playing at the back as none of them are particularly good on the ball. If Romero is in the back 3, I am okay with Davies.

I think 3-4-3 doesn't work for us.

Best 11:

-----------------------Lloris------------------------
Emerson----Romero----Lenglet---------Perisic
-------------Bentancur---Bissouma-------------
Son/Moura--------Kulusevski------------Richarlison
----------------------Kane-------------------------
Really weird that you would think that, because with this 3-4-3 formation we got into the Champions League and picked the most points in Premier League since March.

But I guess it is just your opinion..

How can people put Spence in 'our best eleven'? He's only played about 7 minutes of Premier League football.

Was just going to post something similar.

It's not that he's proven himself to be good, more that the alternatives have proven themselves not to be good...

I'd play Spence tomorrow based purely on not wanting to see Emerson and Sanchez playing themselves into trouble every time they have time on the ball in our right hand quarter of the pitch ever again.

It's not that he's proven himself to be good, more that the alternatives have proven themselves not to be good...

I'd play Spence tomorrow based purely on not wanting to see Emerson and Sanchez playing themselves into trouble every time they have time on the ball in our right hand quarter of the pitch ever again.
Matt Doherty was playing well up until Matt Cash clattered him and ended his season.

Or better still (keeping it topical for tomorrow)

Our best ever Spurs (who've also played for Fulham) XI:
4-3-3

Tony Parks
Ryan Sessegnon
John Lacy
Alan Mullery
Paul Stalteri
Scott Parker
Moussa Dembele
Terry Dyson
Cliff Jones
Steve Archibald
Dimitar Berbatov

Subs:
Darren Bent
Adel Taraabt
Danny Murphy
Ray Evans
Steeeeeed Malbranque
Bobby Zamora
Simon Davies
Sean Davis
Josh Onomah
Clint Dempsey
Louis Saha
Kasey Keller
Michael Brown
Stephen Kelly
Wayne Routledge
Paul Konchesky

Manager: Martin Jpl!

Bloody hell, there have been a few, eh?

Matt Doherty was playing well up until Matt Cash clattered him and ended his season.
His little run of decent games is tempered a by a longer run of pretty poor performances though, Spence looks a good option solely by not being tainted as yet...

Something weird about Doherty this season, either he's not fully recovered yet or he's pissed off Conte somehow, there is no reason for Emerson to have played every minute of every game so far when there are 2 alternatives available, one who seemed to have been trusted in recent times.

But back to the main point, I'd say we know Emerson/Doherty aren't great (not saying they are dreadful either mind...) whereas Spence has the element of mystery where he could be great, no matter how slight the chance.

How can people put Spence in 'our best eleven'? He's only played about 7 minutes of Premier League football.
Point of the thread was to imagine our best eleven if everyone was fit and on top form, not the best eleven right now. Certainly possible Spence proves to be better than the alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom