Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pretty sure that was a bit different. The Liverpool guy who won the penalty never even touched the ball just put himself between anurier and Aurier kicking the ball.
My memory might be failing me...but the 'mechanics' of the situation was similar i.e. player has ball and attempts to kick it while opponents swoops in.

Did Aurier really not make contact? If not then that worse.

I didn't say it was...and my post clearly shows that I understand it's controversial...but it is consistent with calls they have made before...people always bitch about wanting consistency irrespective of the interpretation of the laws...so there you go.

And I think there should be more pens...thus devaluing them in the grand scheme of things...but that's just me.
Theres never been more penos and its def not for the good of the game. Inactually dont think it is consistent.
The problem is imo is that next week with a different ref diff game that thats not given. Its seems like refs are like us here with differing opinions and views on what should be a peno, red, yellow etc

My memory might be failing me...but the 'mechanics' of the situation was similar i.e. player has ball and attempts to kick it while opponents swoops in.

Aurier made contact. I’m fine with that being a pen. If the attacker can get his foot in before the defender kicks the ball, the defender deserves to be punished for that.

Exact same pen as VVD on Lamela at Anfield.

The Villa one was different bc it didn’t even impact his stride in any way. He put his foot down clean as a whistle then threw himself.

No, Aurier made good contact, but the Liverpool guy (Mane I think) just won the pen by chucking himself between Aurier and the ball. He never had possession at any time. It should’ve been a free kick to Aurier.

The Villa one, Bailey nicks the ball, but Burnley guy barely touches him.

Theres never been more penos and its def not for the good of the game.
In your opinion

The problem is imo is that next week with a different ref diff game that thats not given. Its seems like refs are like us here with differing opinions and views on what should be a peno, red, yellow etc
Sure, but inter-game consistency is less important than intra-game consistency. And everyone that has played has been told to get a feel for the ref early on...and it's from there that the desire for consistency is derived...who cares what happens next week with a different ref as long as he calls it both ways in THAT game.

Aurier made contact. I’m fine with that being a pen. If the attacker can get his foot in before the defender kicks the ball, the defender deserves to be punished for that.

Exact same pen as VVD on Lamela at Anfield.

The Villa one was different bc it didn’t even impact his stride in any way. He put his foot down clean as a whistle then threw himself.
Lamela's was a dive as well...he was kicked in the butt, right? They are all embellishment so I guess it's a matter of where you place the threshold...it was obviously strong enough that he felt it.

Lamela's was a dive as well...he was kicked in the butt, right? They are all embellishment so I guess it's a matter of where you place the threshold...it was obviously strong enough that he felt it.
It was the calf I believe. It was an embellishment maybe, but a pen.

The Villa one to me was a flat out dive.

In your opinion

Sure, but inter-game consistency is less important than intra-game consistency. And everyone that has played has been told to get a feel for the ref early on...and it's from there that the desire for consistency is derived...who cares what happens next week with a different ref as long as he calls it both ways in THAT game.
Like i said in my opiion yes.

But there is rarely in game consistency

That penalty didn't look like any contact and at the point of where any contact might have occured the player doesn't react, but afterwards he is suddenly thrown to the floor by a mysterious force?
Seems contact actually was fuck all or extremely minimal but he realizes the ball is too far so chances it and dives.
If Son does that he is a criminal who went down far too easy, but Villa are the new darlings...that had a real stench of Vardy / Leicester on that one

What fucks me off about that decision is, as always, the inconsistency. Not all contact is a foul - which is why Maddison didn't get a pen when there was WAY more contact than here.

Similarly Son never committed a foul in the Brentford game yet VAR overturned the ref's decision to say otherwise.

Wolves had a couple of these go against them too. It's just such a mess. I have no problem with the Maddison one not being a pen as long as this one also isn't. And the Son one. And the two against Wolves.

Back
Top Bottom