Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Foul or not (and there's clearly dispute on that in this thread) - that is NOT what VAR is supposed to do.

Actually, it is.

a. Goal/no goal

• attacking team offence in the build-up to or scoring of the goal (handball, foul, offside etc.)
  • ball out of play prior to the goal
  • goal/no goal decisions
  • offence by goalkeeper and/or kicker at the taking of a penalty kick or encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper

Actually, it is.

a. Goal/no goal

• attacking team offence in the build-up to or scoring of the goal (handball, foul, offside etc.)
  • ball out of play prior to the goal
  • goal/no goal decisions
  • offence by goalkeeper and/or kicker at the taking of a penalty kick or encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper

Okay I go back to my original issue - in the FA Cup Semi there was a potential handball offence which the on-field ref gave as a goal kick - implying he hadn't even seen the clear handball.

Regardless of whether it was or was not a penalty offence VAR didn't even inform him of his mistake and ask him to review it.

Yet they do here. For a subjective decision the ref had a clear view of and made a clear decision about.

TLDR: Pawson is a fucking awful ref.

The fact it's "soft" is EXACTLY why VAR shouldn't be getting involved. They just re-reffed the game.

And the fact that sometimes they do that and sometimes they don’t is a joke too.

It’s making games worse but nobody in authority wants to admit it. A serious sensible conversation needs to happen but there’s no interest in that.

Okay I go back to my original issue - in the FA Cup Semi there was a potential handball offence which the on-field ref gave as a goal kick - implying he hadn't even seen the clear handball.

Regardless of whether it was or was not a penalty offence VAR didn't even inform him of his mistake and ask him to review it.

Yet they do here. For a subjective decision the ref had a clear view of and made a clear decision about.

TLDR: Pawson is a fucking awful ref.

Even though I think it was the right call in this case, I agree that its the inconsistent application of it that makes it so infuriating.

I think it was a foul the frustration comes from ref's having the safety blanket of the VAR to look at everything for them. The onfield ref cop's out far too much IMO

Went to UD Las Palmas v Girona today. 0.2
3 pens, only 1 scored, ref was awful and VAR was called on 4 times which totally ruined the game.
No alcohol in the stadium. 60 euro a ticket in tbe main stand
Girona are 3rd in la liga and may well get a CL place, hope we draw them, they were crap

I think it was a foul the frustration comes from ref's having the safety blanket of the VAR to look at everything for them. The onfield ref cop's out far too much IMO
It's a terrible look for Pawson though because he's basically been overruled on an incident he had a perfect view of.

Embarrassing referee

I still love the ridiculously maligned Harry Winks, Glad to see him back in the First Division next season.

As far as I can make out, his greatest sin is not being Osvaldo Ardiles (young people, insert the name of your favourite ever central midfielder here).

I'm happy for Winks but really can't stand Leicester. Such an obnoxious set of supporters.

I'm happy for Winks but really can't stand Leicester. Such an obnoxious set of supporters.
Yeah, I'll give you that.

It never used to be that way. My mum was from Leicester, my uncle took me to Filbert Street back in the day. They were fine in the 70s, a modest team who dreamed of being better with perfectly normal, friendly fans.

I remember being in the ground with my uncle and him slagging me off for not being a Norwich fan. I tried to explain that I was a Yarmouth boy, that we had no soulful connection to Norwich the city, quite the opposite actually, but he was having none of it.

RIP Uncle Eric

Back
Top Bottom