Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That, my friend, is know n as damning with faint praise.

I'll stick my head above the parapet for Skippy again and say that I think he's a good player, underrated by some clueless knobs on here (you know who you are) and a valuable member of the matchday squad. I like him.
Especially valuable member of the squad because he’s the only club-trained outfield player. We can have up to 4 of them in the squad for Europe next year. If as likely we only have Skipp and 3rd choice GK, our squad size shrinks from max 25 to 23. If we sell Skipp, it shrinks to max 22.

He is best when he has freedom to get around the park and less good when he is the deeper player picking up the ball from the defence. Yesterday suited him because he has the energy to put pressure on opponents further up the pitch.

Very good.

I really like Skipp, he probably will never become good enough for our starting 11, but as a back up he's great.
Young ,homegrown, great mentality and tenacity.
If he can get rid of his nervousness and gain some more confidence he'll be a terrific player, and confidence might be gained from just getting older and more experienced. Especially under someone as fatherly demanding as Postecoglu.

Greetings from Sweden by the way! Been lurking here since pretty much the inception of the forum.

Last edited:
Thought he did well yesterday. Great energy getting round the pitch and some nice touches. Hopefully he benefits from a few matches now with the lack of options.
He worked hard pressed hard. Ange be happy with hom as a gap filler but i noticed a lot his defensive positioning was terrible at times. Seemed to ball watch a lot. Good ball for werner but wont unlock too many defences which we need when teams sit back.

Especially valuable member of the squad because he’s the only club-trained outfield player. We can have up to 4 of them in the squad for Europe next year. If as likely we only have Skipp and 3rd choice GK, our squad size shrinks from max 25 to 23. If we sell Skipp, it shrinks to max 22.
We can have as many club trained players as we want. All 25 if we had a magic academy. It's not "up to" 4, it's a minimum of 4.
The only restriction on squad composition applies to foreigners really. As long as you have the minimum 4 club trained and 4 homegrown non-club trained you're golden. Could be 17 more club trained and home grown if you like.

We can have as many club trained players as we want. All 25 if we had a magic academy. It's not "up to" 4, it's a minimum of 4.
The only restriction on squad composition applies to foreigners really. As long as you have the minimum 4 club trained and 4 homegrown non-club trained you're golden. Could be 17 more club trained and home grown if you like.
I know. But assuming we use our 17 Johnny Foreigner allowance and have 4 other home-grown but not club trained (Sess, Forster, Davies, Maddison, Johnson, who am I missing?) then that’s 21. So Whiteman and Skipp are on top + supported by the kids.

Skipp had a decent game yesterday, including his involvement in Bentancur's goal which included a run and pass in the build up and then his run into the ManU box which took a defender out of position and opening up the space from which Bentancur scored.

View: https://x.com/SpursOfficial/status/1746898442331320807?s=20

Part of the issue is not playing regularly - his last run of games was when on loan at Norwich as Conte ignored him. Yesterday was a lot more reminiscent of Skipp playing at Norwich or before that in Spurs youth - he's primarily a DM who has a decent range of long range passing (which will suite Ange as Skipp can ping long balls to a full back going forward or to a forward) and he's quite happy to get into advanced positions when Spurs are in possession where Spurs have got another player in the DM spot.

Hojbjerg is clearly moving on at some stage, his contract runs out in June 2025, as much because when he first came to Spurs he was our main midfielder but we've now got better players so he's no longer a guaranteed starter. Hopefully Skipp can get some of his starts in the next month before Sarr and Bissouma come back from AFCON so he can get more confidence to become a reliable member of the squad.

Happy for him yday, his best game since Milan probably. He's looked poor in many appearances this season. Looked better recieving the ball and looked for it a bit more often than he has been recently. That pass to
Werner was delicious, need more moments of quality from him throughout games if he's to
be a part of things going forward.

Happy for him yday, his best game since Milan probably. He's looked poor in many appearances this season. Looked better recieving the ball and looked for it a bit more often than he has been recently. That pass to
Werner was delicious, need more moments of quality from him throughout games if he's to
be a part of things going forward.

First game he didn’t seem to he running around like a headless chicken.

I don’t know if something clicked as far his positioning in the setup but promising none the less

I was a little surprised - and totally delighted - that Oliver was chosen to start the game yesterday. I feel he repayed Ange's faith in him. He's a jolly hard worker.

First time all season he was not in the squad.
Was he injured?
Now that Ange has a higher number of fit players, all chomping at the bit, I reckon Skippy's found himself sitting just below 'substitute level'? I've not heard of any injury, but of course he could have had a knock or a strain - and nobody's asked the question?

I think he probably understands he is very much in the battle for sub places now. He will probably end up taking Hoj's place on the bench next year - or end up leaving for a newly promoted side if they stump up some cash (or take him on loan again like Norwich did)

Back
Top Bottom