Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

OK, here are a couple of simple questions for the haters.
Who at Spurs would you replace Skipp with?

I don't hate him by a long chalk, but that's a damn easy question to answer:

At #6 - Biss or Bentancur (I really don't like PEH in this position).
At #8 - Biss, Bentancur, Sarr, PEH.... Perhaps GLC depending on the oppo.

He has my full support until the day he leaves, but face it; he's pretty much bottom of the pecking order here aside from the kids.

What player should we buy to replace him?

Basic CMs aren't exactly hard to come by.... And unless he starts to show a bit more bite or quality with the ball that's really all he's proving to be.

What did he do wrong? Tell me exactly how many times he fucked up.
I can only remember one poor pass.
Other than that he played well enough. Porro played more poor passes but that does not make him a poor player.
Skipp will be in every remaining squad this season because he is reliable.

No one wants our academy players to come through and succeed more than me but Skipp just doesn’t look up for this level.

I think he’s in a rough position playing as an box to box 8. He doesn’t have a lot of quality going forward.

The alarming part to me is how poor he’s been in the midfield battles. He seems to be chasing the game. A lot of his tackles are rash and mistimed. If his defensive game was better, I don’t think people would be as harsh on him but it just hasn’t

Basic CMs aren't exactly hard to come by.... And unless he starts to show a bit more bite or quality with the ball that's really all he's proving to be.
While this is true, his greatest value to Tottenham is his homegrown, club trained place in the squad. You can't just buy club trained players, you have to develop them and that takes time. So for squad management reasons, he will be with us for the foreseeable future. And for all his current limitations, as a 6th choice he does a great job - there aren't many better in the PL.

And we never know, he's young enough to improve and could get back to his form pre-injury (although 1) that was in conte in his system and 2) for that I feel he'd need a loan playing regularly)

He will be kept around as 21/22nd player in the squad due to club trained status and i’m fine with it as long as he is fine with it. Cause lets be honest - this role will cost his personal career due to very limited amount of minutes he will receive.

We’ll need 4 club/academy trained players for a UEFA competition next year:

1. 3rd choice keeper - Whiteman or Austin
2. Devine
3. Skipp
4. Scarlett
5. Donley

We are bare bones here. I think Donley and Scarlett need to go out on loan to develop but it looks like one of them has to stay next year unless we want to integrate Tanganga back in the squad. Literally no other options.

We can’t afford to lose Skipp. Fairly damning on our academy.

2. Devine
3. Skipp
4. Scarlett
5. Donley

We are bare bones here. I think Donley and Scarlett need to go out on loan to develop but it looks like one of them has to stay next year unless we want to integrate Tanganga back in the squad. Literally no other options.

We don't HAVE to use all 4 slots. Donley would be better off going on loan for sure.

2. Devine
3. Skipp
4. Scarlett
5. Donley

Devine, Scarlett and Donley are all still u21 next year so would go on list B (outside of 25 man squad)

I think the only players that would qualify for club trained that will stop be at the club are Whiteman, Skipp, Tanganga, Max Robson and Troy Parrott.
A couple more youth players with contracts expiring we could extend. Obviously if we sell Parrott and Tanganga in the summer (both with a year left) they wont be on the list either. We could bring back an academy player that has left to help the numbers, we have a buy-back clause on Cirkin and apparently some sort of one for Kane...
Could also technically bring back the likes of Walker-Peters, Winks, Pritchard, Edwards, Carter-Vickers etc. but probably not likely.

2. Devine
3. Skipp
4. Scarlett
5. Donley

Do they need to be trained by our academy? Or any English academy?

Devine, Scarlett and Donley are all still u21 next year so would go on list B (outside of 25 man squad)

I think the only players that would qualify for club trained that will stop be at the club are Whiteman, Skipp, Tanganga, Max Robson and Troy Parrott.
A couple more youth players with contracts expiring we could extend. Obviously if we sell Parrott and Tanganga in the summer (both with a year left) they wont be on the list either. We could bring back an academy player that has left to help the numbers, we have a buy-back clause on Cirkin and apparently some sort of one for Kane...
Could also technically bring back the likes of Walker-Peters, Winks, Pritchard, Edwards, Carter-Vickers etc. but probably not likely.
Thanks. The point is if we have no club trained players at all we can only have a UEFA squad of 21.
I think.:)

Do they need to be trained by our academy? Or any English academy?
If you want the full 25 man squad, at least 4 trained by our academy (3 years before year they turn 21)

List A:
Max squad size: 25
Max non-club trained players: 21
Max overseas players: 17

List B: (Players born after Jan 2003 that have been at club for 2 years or same association for 3 years): Unlimited number

Last edited:
If you want the full 25 man squad, at least 4 trained by our academy (3 years before year they turn 21)

Max squad size: 25
Max non-club trained players: 21
Max overseas players: 17

List B: (Players born after Jan 2003 that have been at club for 2 years or same association for 3 years): Unlimited number

Ah ok. That B list thing essentially punishes you if the players are young.

Looks like Skipp has to stick around really. I don’t see him playing much next year or even end of this year but if he’s happy to stay and works hard…

Thing about bringing Walker-Peters or Cirkin, even Edwards back is that they are all at the stage of their career where starting is their goal and none of them would.

I see him abit like winks homegrown started well got an injury at a bad time and has never looked the same since

I see him abit like winks homegrown started well got an injury at a bad time and has never looked the same since
Never had Winks abilities, which in his prime was a very good baller.

You can never qeustion Skipps efforts, and he will have a decent career, but lack the skills and edge to be a top player

Ah ok. That B list thing essentially punishes you if the players are young.

Looks like Skipp has to stick around really. I don’t see him playing much next year or even end of this year but if he’s happy to stay and works hard…

Thing about bringing Walker-Peters or Cirkin, even Edwards back is that they are all at the stage of their career where starting is their goal and none of them would.
They can still play is they're on list B so doesn't really punish you, they're just not in the 25 man List A squad which will mainly be players over 21 (Veliz might be the only exception next year because he'll be u21 but hasn't been at the club for 2 years so will have to be overseas on list A).

He will be kept around as 21/22nd player in the squad due to club trained status and i’m fine with it as long as he is fine with it. Cause lets be honest - this role will cost his personal career due to very limited amount of minutes he will receive.
It’s a trade off because he would not be a CL player or competing at the top of the PL on any club that would give him a starting role.

Good for him for seeming to embrace being a team player. I was not so unselfish as a player.

Back
Top Bottom