Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've been critical of Skippy before but yesterday I really liked his performance!

And it might be wishful thinking but somehow it looks like he has added some muscle / strenght to himself compared to preseason. NO! I don't mean to say that he is stroNG but he is strongER, relatively speaking.

Shielded decently. put the ball out where it was needed to be put out. Lasted all 120 minutes (!!) . And was way more dynamic than Dier in DM position for example.

Would not mind him being started in most of games, and same goes for Gedson. Not that either of them would have set the world on fire, just down to alternative options....

Those who were at the game would’ve seen him taking up sensible protective positions when they had the ball (similar to Dier in 2016). Rarely made the wrong choice to pass. So impressed with that maturity.

Poch spent way to much time and energy trying to turn Winks into Frankie De Jong. The raw material was just never there with him. He's a tidy little player a slight step up from Tom Carroll, nothing more nothing less. Skipp, however, has always stood out as a youth player and has a much higher ceiling than Winks.

Well it could be true and time will either prove it to be right or not...
But alternative theory is just that fans will rate new youth prospect higher... well because he is new youth prospect.

Mason was supposed to be better than Livermore.
Onomah was supposed to be better than Mason
Carroll was supposed to be better than Onomah.
Winks was supposed to be better than Carroll.
Skippy supposed to be better than Winks.

Roll if forward few years and
2-years-younger-academy-product X will be supposedly better than Skippy.
4-years-younger-academy-product Y will be supposedly better than 2-years-younger-academy-product X

:D

I commend his effort, he didn't make any mistakes, didn't give the ball away and did the leg work that our team desperately needs really well last night.

I have my doubts that he is top 4 quality though. Compare him to what other clubs have in the same position its a bit comical.

Nothing against the lad though

I commend his effort, he didn't make any mistakes, didn't give the ball away and did the leg work that our team desperately needs really well last night.

I have my doubts that he is top 4 quality though. Compare him to what other clubs have in the same position its a bit comical.

Nothing against the lad though

We've finished top4 with worse players than him in our midfield on more than one occasion.

Oh I agree, he just seems a bit limited to me ability wise.
The player that comes to mind for some reason even though they weren't really the same is Jamie o'Hara

But he deserves a few games to see what he is really capable of.

Skipp is a much more viable proposition than O'Hara (who I didn't rate much at all).

There will generally always be " limitations" to what a 6 can do, by definition they are more functional than flair but he's got the type of skill set that we generally need in one, he's dynamic, got a great engine, tenacious, reads the game pretty well (for 19), technically very good, he shows for the ball (doesn't hide and point) he can move a bit with the ball under pressure (as we saw last night) and he does get his head up and look for a vertical pass, he's not always just bunting the ball back where it came.

Which I think would be a good skill set to compliment people like Ndombele, Lo Celso, Winks, Gedson who can play as 8's either side of him.

I don't think he's the next Casimiro or anything, but lets be honest, we are a fucking long way from being RM.

At this point, it might be just a well to give Skipp, Gedson and Parrott a run of games to gain experience. We do not look capable of a European place, but were not going down. Play the regulars during CL games (maybe just one more of those). Start summer training now.

Back
Top Bottom