Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like others have said it’s nothing personal. He’s a bit like Kane in the sense that he’s not the most charismatic guy you’ll ever meet. Of course Harry had world class ability so it never mattered that he was as interesting as watching paint dry. I think to play Skipps position you need that about you, a bit of bravado and confidence. Skipp lacks any of that in spades. Technically he’s very average too but that’s football. Many are called few are chosen.

OK, here are a couple of simple questions for the haters.
Who at Spurs would you replace Skipp with?
What player should we buy to replace him?

We’ll need 4 club/academy trained players for a UEFA competition next year:

1. 3rd choice keeper - Whiteman or Austin
2. Devine
3. Skipp
4. Scarlett
5. Donley

We are bare bones here. I think Donley and Scarlett need to go out on loan to develop but it looks like one of them has to stay next year unless we want to integrate Tanganga back in the squad. Literally no other options.

We can’t afford to lose Skipp. Fairly damning on our academy.

We’ll need 4 club/academy trained players for a UEFA competition next year:

1. 3rd choice keeper - Whiteman or Austin
2. Devine
3. Skipp
4. Scarlett
5. Donley

We are bare bones here. I think Donley and Scarlett need to go out on loan to develop but it looks like one of them has to stay next year unless we want to integrate Tanganga back in the squad. Literally no other options.

We can’t afford to lose Skipp. Fairly damning on our academy.

Do they need to be trained by our academy? Or any English academy?

Devine, Scarlett and Donley are all still u21 next year so would go on list B (outside of 25 man squad)

I think the only players that would qualify for club trained that will stop be at the club are Whiteman, Skipp, Tanganga, Max Robson and Troy Parrott.
A couple more youth players with contracts expiring we could extend. Obviously if we sell Parrott and Tanganga in the summer (both with a year left) they wont be on the list either. We could bring back an academy player that has left to help the numbers, we have a buy-back clause on Cirkin and apparently some sort of one for Kane...
Could also technically bring back the likes of Walker-Peters, Winks, Pritchard, Edwards, Carter-Vickers etc. but probably not likely.
Thanks. The point is if we have no club trained players at all we can only have a UEFA squad of 21.
I think.:)

Do they need to be trained by our academy? Or any English academy?
If you want the full 25 man squad, at least 4 trained by our academy (3 years before year they turn 21)

List A:
Max squad size: 25
Max non-club trained players: 21
Max overseas players: 17

List B: (Players born after Jan 2003 that have been at club for 2 years or same association for 3 years): Unlimited number

Last edited:
If you want the full 25 man squad, at least 4 trained by our academy (3 years before year they turn 21)

Max squad size: 25
Max non-club trained players: 21
Max overseas players: 17

List B: (Players born after Jan 2003 that have been at club for 2 years or same association for 3 years): Unlimited number

Ah ok. That B list thing essentially punishes you if the players are young.

Looks like Skipp has to stick around really. I don’t see him playing much next year or even end of this year but if he’s happy to stay and works hard…

Thing about bringing Walker-Peters or Cirkin, even Edwards back is that they are all at the stage of their career where starting is their goal and none of them would.

Good shift today, he needs to play every week, but I just don’t see him getting that here.

He could stay here as a squad player or go somewhere and play every week. It’s up to him really.
Think you hit the nail on the head! He is a decent player and likely could start for a team wanting to finish 10-15th in the league. But I just don’t think he has enough “it” factor for what we need now! If he is happy to play the odd minute here and there then fine. But I don’t think he will ever be a permanent fixture in the team

credit where its due he done well today. skipp and PEH dont have the mobility to play in midfield in this system and the team will be weaker because of it, but they do give 100%.

biggest compliment you can give skipp is even though he might not be good enough ability wise. his mentality is good. hes not cut from the same cloth as some of the 'spursy' players weve had before who melt under the slightest bit of heat, he will bite down and keep going.

Especially valuable member of the squad because he’s the only club-trained outfield player. We can have up to 4 of them in the squad for Europe next year. If as likely we only have Skipp and 3rd choice GK, our squad size shrinks from max 25 to 23. If we sell Skipp, it shrinks to max 22.
We can have as many club trained players as we want. All 25 if we had a magic academy. It's not "up to" 4, it's a minimum of 4.
The only restriction on squad composition applies to foreigners really. As long as you have the minimum 4 club trained and 4 homegrown non-club trained you're golden. Could be 17 more club trained and home grown if you like.

Happy for him yday, his best game since Milan probably. He's looked poor in many appearances this season. Looked better recieving the ball and looked for it a bit more often than he has been recently. That pass to
Werner was delicious, need more moments of quality from him throughout games if he's to
be a part of things going forward.

First game he didn’t seem to he running around like a headless chicken.

I don’t know if something clicked as far his positioning in the setup but promising none the less

I was a little surprised - and totally delighted - that Oliver was chosen to start the game yesterday. I feel he repayed Ange's faith in him. He's a jolly hard worker.

First time all season he was not in the squad.
Was he injured?
Now that Ange has a higher number of fit players, all chomping at the bit, I reckon Skippy's found himself sitting just below 'substitute level'? I've not heard of any injury, but of course he could have had a knock or a strain - and nobody's asked the question?

I think he probably understands he is very much in the battle for sub places now. He will probably end up taking Hoj's place on the bench next year - or end up leaving for a newly promoted side if they stump up some cash (or take him on loan again like Norwich did)

Back
Top Bottom