North Korean flag vs Hull

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This thread is

brilliant_animated_gifs_featuring_kim_jong_un_15.gif

Where has this assumption come from? I've been to many American sports games and wouldn't consider ANY of them as sterile. Seen a mighty, mighty ruck (worse than anything I saw at the Lane in the 80's - except maybe Paul Miller's testimonial game) at Philadelphia Eagles and some unique flags and banners at Bears games. Can drink in the stands no problem too.
This is not where I was aiming with the term sterile. I meant a neutral in conotation sport that could be met with zeal and enthuasaism but is ultimately a form of enterainment without the more elaborated connections football had with socio-political circumstances in Europe (with it being in large parts of its earlier history a working class sport, with the Sky\big money\oligarch complex steadily pushing them out in recent years).
An American sports club can change cities quite easily, the whole American sport culture is different in its nature to the perception of a football club to its supporters elsewhere, and American big money which controlled national sport from the start pervented any real political content to be emphasised through it (granted british football with some exepetions was not as political as elsewhere in Europe).

Sky and the FA want supporters paying crazy amounts of money for tickets, sitting still, and buying merch. I staunchely oppose this. I may be considered radical but I think supporters should unionize and demand a say in football. I see no reason why FIFA get to run a multi-billions monopoly on the expense of supporters with them having to bend over and take it up the arse quitely.

Last edited:
The state of Israel is nothing BUT politics and has been forever.

I agree with your first points about sports and politics. But you obviously know that waving an Israeli flag is offensive to a lot of people, including Spurs fans.
Because the UK wasn't always about politics? or to say every other state\organization in the world? Why not ban a union jack flag waving when a lot of people find it offensive? I oppose this theory of removing "things" that people find offensive, it serves no purpose in fighting racism or any of that. This only makes the PC brigade feel good about themselves whilst not doing actual things to combat racism.

I am well aware that some people find an Israeli flag offensive (usually sitting in their yuppy caffee in Europe talking BS whilst me and fellow Israelis Arab\Jews protests the occupation week in and week out and whilst I'm personally am A-zionist some people who go to the west bank every week to support the Palestinians are and they come with this flag as well because it can symbol a variety of things not only monolothic meanings people lable it) I just don't see why there ought to be a ban on everything someone find offensive

Because the UK wasn't always about politics? or to say every other state\organization in the world? Why not ban a union jack flag waving when a lot of people find it offensive? I oppose this theory of removing "things" that people find offensive, it serves no purpose in fighting racism or any of that. This only makes the PC brigade feel good about themselves whilst not doing actual things to combat racism.

I am well aware that some people find an Israeli flag offensive (usually sitting in their yuppy caffee in Europe talking BS whilst me and fellow Israelis Arab\Jews protests the occupation week in and week out and whilst I'm personally am A-zionist some people who go to the west bank every week to support the Palestinians are and they come with this flag as well because it can symbol a variety of things not only monolothic meanings people lable it) I just don't see why there ought to be a ban on everything someone find offensive

I didn't say it should be banned.

So if I was to bring a swastika or SS flag to a game in Israel you would support my right too?

Basically yes. I would say that I'm against a legal ban on that...but I will probably beat the crap out of you antifa style :adeninja::carrollwtf:

Well your in luck then...last time I checked there's no legal ban on Israeli flags in England...
I like you am against any legal crackdown on freedom of expression/opinion but don't feel that WHL is the place for Israeli flags or any other national flag for that matter (besides the English)
And I hope your money is where your mouth is and u are actively campaigning against this in your own country
http://www.bustle.com/articles/1282...d-swastika-symbol-but-it-may-harm-free-speech

This is not where I was aiming with the term sterile. I meant a neutral in conotation sport that could be met with zeal and enthuasaism but is ultimately a form of enterainment without the more elaborated connections football had with socio-political circumstances in Europe (with it being in large parts of its earlier history a working class sport, with the Sky\big money\oligarch complex steadily pushing them out in recent years).
An American sports club can change cities quite easily, the whole American sport culture is different in its nature to the perception of a football club to its supporters elsewhere, and American big money which controlled national sport from the start pervented any real political content to be emphasised through it (granted british football with some exepetions was not as political as elsewhere in Europe).

Sky and the FA want supporters paying crazy amounts of money for tickets, sitting still, and buying merch. I staunchely oppose this. I may be considered radical but I think supporters should unionize and demand a say in football. I see no reason why FIFA get to run a multi-billions monopoly on the expense of supporters with them having to bend over and take it up the arse quitely.

Fundamentally disagree - go speak to the people of Brooklyn, Oakland, Baltimore or Cleveland and see how they reacted to their teams being lifted out of their communities. Incidentally, communities where the NFL, NBA and MLB are far more engaged than ANYTHING European football has to offer. Try taking the Packers out of Green Bay or the Steelers out of Pittsburgh. It's as likely as Schalke relocating to Rostock.

Politics out of sport - "a good thing" surely?
Politics in sport leads to Rangers, Celtic, Barca and Madrid - Mussolini, Ambrosiana and Lazio.

Last edited:
Well your in luck then...last time I checked there's no legal ban on Israeli flags in England...
I like you am against any legal crackdown on freedom of expression/opinion but don't feel that WHL is the place for Israeli flags or any other national flag for that matter (besides the English)
And I hope your money is where your mouth is and u are actively campaigning against this in your own country
http://www.bustle.com/articles/1282...d-swastika-symbol-but-it-may-harm-free-speech

I have one of those little British flags on a cocktail stick. Often frequent games with it. Got a problem?

Back
Top Bottom