Newcastle United at Home 10.11.13 @ 12:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me he didn't do anything wrong today. I do think Lloris may have intercepted Remy but that's more a credit to Lloris than a discredit to Friedel.
Like you say though we have bigger issues at the other end of the pitch.
lloris is good and I have no issues with him starting over Friedel, but the way that toon move broke, Lloris wouldn't have been in any more of a position to stop the goal
- IMV

Vlad Chiriches gets injury (2 weeks stop) he miss the play-off games of Romania (vs.Greece) :(
FRF (romanian federation of football) announce already his replacement (another defender) ,so Vlad will remain (possible) in London for the recovery... incredible what bad news for the romanian fans
just right now! :(
a key player for the national team lost ...for the play-offs

Lighten up Mick, I like Brad....but he was pretty slug-like today.

I dont blame him for the goal either...Dembele then Paulinho fucked up for that....and the lino for not flagging offside when 3 of them followed up a shot on goal 30 seconds earlier
sorry, but I disagree, the old boy done good, maybe one corner he could have got a better punch on, but apart from that he was solid all game.

I am begginning to wonder if AVB has a plan B.

Mate, we dont even have a plan A

All these different players, and no matter who he picks we do the same old shit. Eriksen created 9 chances today, but Holtby was preferred for the last 2/3 games.....then mysteriously dropped again today??

Siggy LW...or Lennon LW? Lamela benchwarming for 90 minutes...a "perfectly healthy" Lloris dropped.....two defensive subs at 1-0 down at HT?

Im lost

two defensive subs at 1-0 down at HT?
Im lost

Your other points are fair enough but I have to pick up on this one.
Chiriches was of course an injury so he had to come off and the other "defensive" sub was inspired because Sandro bossed the game when he came on. We couldnt make the third sub until the latter stages of the game incase of injury, but that was an offensive one and look how that panned out for Defoe. Not very well...

I am begginning to wonder if AVB has a plan B.

He didn't at the chavs and doesn't here either. I think it's something he's yet to learn but the big test will be whether he is too proud to deviate from his way of playing. He's got time here, I don't think Levy (or any other chairman bar maybe Vincent Tan) would consider getting rid in the circumstances

Result on Spurs unfair according to AVB. Well if we could finish easy chances from 10 yards we wouldn't have this conversation. The starting lineup was very odd, cost us.

We can slate individuals as much as we want, what I've learnt from being a spurs fan is to take the rough with the smooth and as much as today has fucked me off, we are 5 points off the top. The only positive to come out of today is that Lamela will start the next game

Your other points are fair enough but I have to pick up on this one.
Chiriches was of course an injury so he had to come off and the other "defensive" sub was inspired because Sandro bossed the game when he came on. We couldnt make the third sub until the latter stages of the game incase of injury, but that was an offensive one and look how that panned out for Defoe. Not very well...

Fair enough....but it painfully obvious that 442 with Defoe and Soldado is shite, yet he keeps utilising it.

I was all for giving it a bash.....but its shit. Fucking woeful...why persist?

As for the injuries forcing our hand, true, but how about 2nd half:

......................................................Brad

...................Walker...........................Kaboul...................Vertonghen

Lennon/Lamela................Paulinho............................Sandro..............Townsend

..................Siggy............................................................Eriksen

...................................................Soldado

IMO, those three at the back are quick and/or clever enough to cover Brad...we also have enough strength in CM, and enough to actually give Soldado something to run onto, plus wing play.

Just a thought, I dont think Im better than AVB, but would rather lose taking a risk, than lose being predictably shit

fucking hell some of you guys seem to positively delight in seeing AVB lose matches.

The second half today was pure one way traffic except this time we actually created chances. Cue krul having what he himself has described as 'the highlight of his career'

I don't think we set up at the start how many of us wanted to. I would have started lamela and either dropped townsend or put him on the left. Other than that I think the team is pretty much what most of us would have expected.

Lloris missing proved huge - not AVB's fault if that's what the medical dept have put pressure on him to do.
Paulinho, Dembele and Walker fucking around with the ball under pressure in front of our own box - not AVB's fault
Paulinho going into a 50-50 challenge at 10-90 like a little baby - not AVB's fault.
Set pieces, some were shit, yes but no more than any other club. One of them was clearly off the training ground for soldado's header which the keeper pulled off a cracking save. Another hit the cross bar from a corner. How many other teams create more than 2 or 3 clear chances from set pieces in a match?

re: Lamela not featuring? well i imagine he was hoping to give him some minutes but we needed to bring sandro on to get a grip of CM which he did at half time (btw plenty on here normally accuse him of not acting quickly enough) and his hand was forced with Vlad going off so we're left with 45 minutes to play and only one change to make. He did what 99% of most other managers would do when losing a game late on and threw on another striker.
Personally I'd have liked holtby on for paulinho as for me he had one of his worst games in a spurs shirt today.

I don't think the sun shines out of his arse, but calling for AVB's sacking is fucking infantile behaviour. Look at all the gooners who were screaming for wenger to be sacked and ramsey to be sold after ONE fucking game this season.

I am as gutted as anyone else on here and I appreciate people use forums to vent (better here than in the ground) but this place is fast becoming like GG with all the feuding and moaning.Depressing as fuck

I
sorry, but I disagree, the old boy done good, maybe one corner he could have got a better punch on, but apart from that he was solid all game.

I was a bit nervous when I saw Friedel in that starting line up today

But if you asked me going into the game if you'd be happy with the performance you got from Friedel today, i would have been ecstatic Today's result falls on the attack and AVB for me.

I'd forgotten how middle class the West is! Might have been pretty much the only one singing in that stand but I gave it a go. Didn't enjoy a couple of old blokes behind me complaining at half time about how boring it was and "I won't bother turning up for the next one if it's this boring" - Fine I said to him we won't miss you, don't think he quite worked out what I meant the dozy twat

All these different players, and no matter who he picks we do the same old shit. Eriksen created 9 chances today, but Holtby was preferred for the last 2/3 games.....then mysteriously dropped again today??
This is my biggest problem.
I don't mind giving time for the players to gel, I don't mind that we are not playing like how we should, and deep inside I don't mind that in the progress we end up losing winnable games.

But ... the thing is that there appears to be NO (well, at least not much) gelling going on.
So many changes - week in, week out - and because of that nothings seems to be clicking. There's no cohesion.

You would think after so many of these PL games, EL games, and cup games ... AVB would know our strongest side, or at least try to impose one.

After having some time to discuss, reflect, and digest I'd say my thoughts are as follows:

Everyone takes some of the blame today, piss poor first half, some selection errors, and apathy on the pitch from some of the players.

Sandro should have started today's game. Dembele and Paulinho don't work together as neither wants to help out the center backs defensively as a destroyer or going forward by creating space and dragging strikers out of position. If Sandro was fit enough for the bench, he was fit enough to start. If he couldn't go the full 90, take him off late on, not bring him on as a sub. Similarly, Dembele was poor today and has been unconvincing all season. I love him as a player but numerous times he got himself into bad situations with the ball and was unable to recover. He will need to improve vastly if he wants to start again IMO.

Sigurdsson was also an odd choice. I was okay with him starting, but only with the idea to bring Lamela on as an impact sub against tired legs. Today, besides the deflected free kick that almost went in, I can't recall Siggy doing anything of note. If AVB is going to reward form as he has earlier in the season, then why not repay Lamela's performance on Thursday with a start and at the very least a 30 minute impact cameo. Personally, having played, it would be crushing to have a great game and follow it up by riding the bench while the team struggles the next game.
Vlad going off hurt us dearly because it took away one of our subs. Similarly, I though he was great today, both carrying the ball forward and mopping up. Yes, he was out of position on the goal, but I think that falls more on the midfield losing the ball carelessly than him.

If Hugo plays, I don't think we concede that goal. Yes its a case of "what-if" but I think Hugo knocks the ball away from Remy's feet. You can see that as Brad came out, he hesitates when Remy goes to take a touch, even though it is fairly clear he can only take the ball to his (Brad's) right hand side. Knowing this he should have been able to get a touch on the ball. Otherwise today Brad played well enough, but when you concede an early goal, at times that is all that matters.

4-4-2 is pointless with two similar strikers. This has been said ad-nauseam but Defoe and Soldado are too similar in their approach. While Soldado didn't have a great game today and should have scored from his free header from a corner, I don't think Defoe should have even been in the conversation to come on. I'd have rather had Kane come on simply because he would offer us a different style of 4-4-2. In the end though the right choice of sub would have been Lamela. We were all over them and we didn't need to change shape at the time. By changing shape, we lost some of the impetus and our attacking power petered out some.

Townsend didn't have a great game, along with Eriksen (except his abysmal finishing), but I can't fault either of them too much today. Similarly Walker didn't have his greatest game but he wasn't bad either.

In the end it was a poor all around performance and the player should realize that. The most worrying thing for me was why it took until halftime for our players to start showing fight and impetus. Why didn't we play like that for the whole first 45? Why didn't we come right back at them after scoring? Some of it has to do with formations and players on the pitch, but some also has to go down to hunger and desire. TBH we simply didn't show that in the first half.

Poor performance today, some poor decisions were made, team needs to pick themselves back up. We need a leader to kick the team up the arse and get them playing hard from the off. AVB needs to play a role in this as well. He had a poor managerial performance in some aspects but we simply need to come back stronger. Can we do this though? Personally, I really don't know.

-Trying to keep the faith

With regards the play, I thought we were pretty good second half and you certainly couldn't fault the team for urgency right from the first whistle after the break (stark opposite to the first half), but we still try to run straight at the opposition. We must get back to passing in triangles, quick one-time passes, that's how we will break down defences.

Today Newcastle scrapped out that win by running their arses off, they constantly had at least two men covering every attacking run we made. If we'd had a few snappy one-twos in there we'd have gotten in behind them no problem.

We've basically turned into England under Sven - everyone wants to play centre attacking midfield. Horribly congested and easy to defend. Still, that second half was decent overall and I came away from the game positive in spite of the result. Just want to see those triangles.

Back
Top Bottom