Newcastle (a) 18/19 post match Ratings thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man of the Match

• Total voters
So many people struggling to hide their disappointment about the transfer window. I get it, you all have a genuine grievance - but is this going to be revisited after every single game this season? Even the ones we win? Please don’t tell me that it is. Sometimes you gotta dance with who ya brung.

Please support the team at this difficult time - we’re not gooners after all. Make your point then leave it, don’t keep repeating it - a simple statement of dissatisfaction should be enough. Please don’t make this place so unreadable that the more positive posters leave in droves - you’ll have your ‘echo chamber’ then. In fact a cursory look about the forum, with who is garnering likes for negativity, would indicate that has already happened. And Don Corleone Don Corleone your thread has backfired massively - all you’ve done is create an old boy’s reunion of wordy twats who can now post their drivel on here - so thanks for that. You’ve turned this place into SC - self-obsessed, humourless, armchair pundits with previous for taking themselves too seriously.

Real supporters get behind their club. By all means, they can criticise, but then they move on and focus on actually supporting, rather than being fucking negative all the fucking time.

Real supporters actually take enjoyment from supporting their club.

The support takes place in the stadium, the discussion takes place on a forum - positive and negative. That’s how it should be and there should always be a balance of both on a forum otherwise it will be just an echo chamber. And I dont think there is a ‘real’ supporter - we are wide group of different people who will see things in different ways. Holding a certain viewpoint doesn’t make anyone more or less of a supporter - it’s an infantile mindset.

Last edited:
Baggy Trousers

If we hadn't spent the best part of last season watching much of the same soggy shit as that today, it would be easy to put that game down to it being the season opener, WC hangover, lack of pre-season etc etc. but the fact is, what was served up today was very similar to a lot of the baggy shit we watched last season. I fact, it was almost identical to where we signed off at home to Leicester, just against a much shitter team.

In my opinion Che Poch has lost his way a little. Not "Roberto Martinez" lost, but lost none the less. He just seems to have lost sight of the principles on which he built this revolution. Aggression, tempo, collective ethos.

He spoke in his book of owing a debt to people like Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb. And when I think back, my very favourite Poch game was a 2-1 win over Woolwich at WHL, in his first full season, with those two at the hub of a relentless fisting of what had been to that point a superior Woolwich team. It was the match that cemented Pochettino was the real deal. Before that game we'd beaten Woolwich, we'd occasionally outworked them, and even more occasionally outplayed them, but never all at once, but that day we did all three.

Now, we all know that Mason and Bentaleb weren't world class CM's. And our team that day wasn't as full of class as it probably was subsequently, but what it had was some fucking urgency, some tempo, a bunch of kids who'd vanquished the dressing room of billy big bollocks egos and brought with them a hunger.

I was seeing a Spurs I'd wanted to see for most of my 50 years of watching them. I was seeing a Spurs side that was nasty, tenacious, pressed the ball, suffocated opponents but also played progressive football.

We were allowed to use the word philosophy and not feel like cunts. Because there was one. It was about voracity, collectiveness, meritocratic selection "you're paid to train, not to play".

We seem to be losing some of this. Players like Sissoko and Aurier clearly aren't there on merit. Do not tell me that any of Onomah, Amos, Skipp etc could be any worse, any more inept, any less technically proficient with - OR WITHOUT - the ball. I read people saying he's there to do a job, carry water, break up play. He's fucking atrocious without the ball, can't press without falling into the man. Second half, when we were desperately needing to get some control of the game he went completely awol, 20 touches of the ball in the second 45 minutes compared to 39 in the first. He made one tackle in 90 minutes and no interceptions. His touch is that of a Rhino on PCP. Why the fuck are we not seeing one of the lively, tenacious and technically proficient kids out there?

And one great cross aside, there is certainly no way KWP could be any worse than Aurier.

I'l forgive Dier being out there, we are down to bare bones in midfield, but he's not the future either and I don't know how much longer I can watch him doing his impression of Phil Jones going his impression of Marcel Desailly. It's all very ponderous and predictable and when teams, even very shit ones like Newcastle, get lively, he's another that struggles to get hold a game, he just shells himself back into the penalty area and drags the game back with him.

I know that some of the kids Ive mentioned aren't going to be world beaters, but the players being selected ahead of them sure as shit ain't. And at least a judicious introduction of one or two of these kids would bring some fucking hunger, some vim and vigour, some pro-active tenacity, could get us pressing and moving as a collective again, give us back some of that urgency and tempo to our play, as opposed to the baggy, open ended, slap dash bollocks we are watching too much of in the last 18 months.

Really not entirely sure what structure we were playing, and the players didn't seem to either at times. At first it looked like a 433 with Alli and Sissoko as 8's. But then at times it looked like a 4312, with Eriksen in the hole, and at other times a 442 with Moura running into congested central areas. Even without the kids, why not be braver and play Alli and Eriksen as 8's, hubbing off Dier and have Son and Moura either side of Kane, with Sissoko on the bench to come on as a wide right forward - the only role he's ever remotely looked valid in?

As it was, a game we had a lot of ceded (by Newcastle) possession in, ended up a very uncomfortable grind, that with a bit of bad rub, a couple of posts and better finishes, could easily have gone away from us, when we should be more comfortable against shit cunts like Newcastle. Our play lacked tempo, incision, wit or craft and will continue to do so with players like Dier and Sissoko at the hub of it.

Individual

Lloris - Good game.

Aurier - Looks like a novice out there. Here's an idea, lets paly a novice that doesn't.

Sanchez - Done by a decent cross, but decent enough after that.

Vertonghen - Pretty decent knock, one game saving block.

Davies - Meh.

Sissoko - Like a Rhino on PCP and, Second half, the PCP wore off.

Dier - Ponderous and predictable with the ball, lack of dynamism without it.

Alli - Decent enough game.

Eriksen - Not great by his high standards but still managed one less key pass than the rest of the team put together. Dier, Sissoko, Alli, Kane, Moura all managed fucking none.

The Brazilian Lennon - Contributed fuck all of tangible worth. Fucked the ball away cheaply, and ran around like a headless cunt the rest of the time.

Kane - Effort was there but football wise, another pretty atrocious shift.

Last edited:
Baggy Trousers

If we hadn't spent the best part of last season watching much of the same soggy shit as that today, it would be easy to put that game down to it being the season opener, WC hangover, lack of pre-season etc etc. but the fact is, what was served up today was very similar to a lot of the baggy shit we watched last season. I fact, it was almost identical to where we signed off at home to Leicester, just against a much shitter team.

In my opinion Che Poch has lost his way a little. Not "Roberto Martinez" lost, but lost none the less. He just seems to have lost sight of the principles on which he built this revolution. Aggression, tempo, collective ethos.

He spoke in his book of owing a debt to people like Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb. And when I think back, my very favourite Poch game was a 2-1 win over Woolwich at WHL, in his first full season, with those two at the hub of a relentless fisting of what had been to that point a superior Woolwich team. It was the match that cemented Pochettino was the real deal. Before that game we'd beaten Woolwich, we'd occasionally outworked them, and even more occasionally outplayed them, but never all at once, but that day we did all three.

Now, we all know that Mason and Bentaleb weren't world class CM's. And our team that day wasn't as full of class as it probably was subsequently, but what it had was some fucking urgency, some tempo, a bunch of kids who'd vanquished the dressing room of billy big bollocks egos and brought with them a hunger.

I was seeing a Spurs I'd wanted to see for most of my 50 years of watching them. I was seeing a Spurs side that was nasty, tenacious, pressed the ball, suffocated opponents but also played progressive football.

We were allowed to use the word philosophy and not feel like cunts. Because there was one. It was about voracity, collectiveness, meritocratic selection "you're paid to train, not to play".

We seem to be losing some of this. Players like Sissoko and Aurier clearly aren't there on merit. Do not tell me that any of Onomah, Amos, Skipp etc could be any worse, any more inept, any less technically proficient with - OR WITHOUT - the ball. I read people saying he's there to do a job, carry water, break up play. He's fucking atrocious without the ball, can't press without falling into the man. Second half, when we were desperately needing to get some control of the game he went completely awol, 20 touches of the ball in the second 45 minutes compared to 39 in the first. He made one tackle in 90 minutes and no interceptions. His touch is that of a Rhino on PCP. Why the fuck are we not seeing one of the lively, tenacious and technically proficient kids out there?

And one great cross aside, there is certainly no way KWP could be any worse than Aurier.

I'l forgive Dier being out there, but he's not the future either and I don't know how much longer I can watch him doing his impression of Phil Jones going his impression of Marcel Desailly. It's all very ponderous and predictable and when teams, even very shit ones like Newcastle, get lively, he's another that struggles to get hold a game, he just shells himself back into the penalty area and drags the game back with him.

I know that some of the kids Ive mentioned aren't going to be world beaters, but the players being selected ahead of them sure as shit ain't. And at least a judicious introduction of one or two of these kids would bring some fucking hunger, some vim and vigour, some pro-active tenacity, could get us pressing and moving as a collective again, give us back some of that urgency and tempo to our play, as opposed to the baggy, open ended, slap dash bollocks we are watching too much of in the last 18 months.

Really not entirely sure what structure we were playing, and the players didn't seem to either at times. At first it looked like a 433 with Alli and Sissoko as 8's. But then at times it looked like a 4312, with Eriksen in the hole, and at other times a 442 with Moura running into congested central areas. Even without the kids, why not be braver and play Alli and Eriksen as 8's, hubbing off Dier and have Son and Moura either side of Kane, with Sissoko on the bench to come on as a wide right forward - the only role he's ever remotely looked valid in?

As it was a game we had a lot of ceded (by Newcastle) possession in, ended up a very uncomfortable grind, that with a bit of bad rub, a couple of posts and bad finishes, could easily have gone away from us, when we should be more comfortable against shit cunts like Newcastle. Our play lacked tempo, incision, wit or craft and will continue to do so with players like Dier, Sissoko at the hub of it.

Individual

Lloris - Good game.

Aurier - Looks like a novice out there. Here's an idea, lets paly one that doesn't.

Davies - Meh.

Sissoko - Like a Rhino on PCP. Second half the PCP wore off.

Alli - Decent enough.

Eriksen - Not great by his high standards but still managed one less key pass than the rest of the team put together. Dier, Sissoko, Alli, Kane, Moura all managed fucking none.

The Brazilian Lennon - Contributed fuck all of tangible worth. Fucked the ball away cheaply, and ran around like a headless cunt the rest of the time.

I thought you where harsh on Dier, I thought he was very good in his role. He protected well and was simple but accurate with his passing which is what most good DM’s do.

Problem is we don’t have a player next to him who is a deep lying playmaker, unless Sissoko suddenly is given magic powers. Eriksen is playing further forward so unless he is pulled in and Sissoko benched our passing game is always going to suffer which is why I hope we get Winks back from his 1 year of injury hell.

Dier has his job, he can’t do Sissoko’s and Dembélé isn’t much of a deep lying playermaker either, he is a different kind of player. It’s a deficiency in our squad we really should have resolved this summer but didn’t and one that particularly against the bigger teams could expose us. This is why I was unhappy at our transfer window because we really only needed 1-2 players not anymore than that to cover ourselves and we fucked it.

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate Sissoko’s work ethic but our team would work a lot better if we moved the ball quicker in the middle. It’s why over a year ago Winks was such a revelation for us and while not as good a player as Dembélé made the team tick more. Hence why we really need a fully fit Winks back IMO.

The teams cohesion is lost when he plays and also the quality of football as a spectacle is low.

He’s a piss-poor footballer. He’s an athlete with an engine, but then again so was Zokora.

I’m a supporter so I’ll support him, but that doesn’t mean I’m happy that he’s playing for us. I know Pochettino likes his energetic players, but fuck me...we might as well play the Duracell bunny.

FFS..What are some going to be like if we lose??

At the risk of sounding like a senile old git that repeats themselves, the first season I attended the lane we got relegated...
Think on that young uns! Relegated. No NLD, no Europe, rarely, if ever on the box
9 months of that...And I effing loved it. Thoroughly enjoyed that season.
Not that I want it to happen again.

And don't even mention much of the 90s...............

So many people struggling to hide their disappointment about the transfer window. I get it, you all have a genuine grievance - but is this going to be revisited after every single game this season? Even the ones we win? Please don’t tell me that it is. Sometimes you gotta dance with who ya brung.

Please support the team at this difficult time - we’re not gooners after all. Make your point then leave it, don’t keep repeating it - a simple statement of dissatisfaction should be enough. Please don’t make this place so unreadable that the more positive posters leave in droves - you’ll have your ‘echo chamber’ then. In fact a cursory look about the forum, with who is garnering likes for negativity would indicate that has already happened. And Don Corleone Don Corleone your thread has backfired massively - all you’ve done is create an old boy’s reunion of wordy twats who can now post their drivel on here - so thanks for that. You’ve turned this place into SC - self-obsessed, humourless, armchair pundits with previous for taking themselves too seriously.
Case should implement a word limit like twitter, if you can't make your point twenty-five words or less it's not worth making. Boring fucking...

Last edited:
The support takes place in the stadium, the discussion takes place on a forum - positive and negative. That’s how it should be and there should always be a balance of both of a forum otherwise it will be just an echo chamber. And I dont think there is a ‘real’ supporter - we are wide group of different people who will see things in different ways. Holding a certain viewpoint doesn’t make any more or less of a supporter - it’s infantile mindset.

Hey,

I’ve given what you’ve said some thought, and by and large, I think it’s fair enough so I accept that, and apologies.

I just get frustrated with what I perceive to be overly negative behaviours at times, and I DO think that some people on this forum do have a rather pessimistic, negative view on things, in the same way that I think you’d also be fair in saying that perhaps others may go too far the other way.

You are right in saying that this forum should not be an echo chamber, and I take that on board. I just think that once people have stated their criticism (for example, of the transfer window), then they should move on and focus on the upcoming games etc, rather than continually repeat their frustrations.

That’s my two cents.

Baggy Trousers

I'l forgive Dier being out there, but he's not the future either and I don't know how much longer I can watch him doing his impression of Phil Jones going his impression of Marcel Desailly. It's all very ponderous and predictable and when teams, even very shit ones like Newcastle, get lively, he's another that struggles to get hold a game, he just shells himself back into the penalty area and drags the game back with him.

As it was a game we had a lot of ceded (by Newcastle) possession in, ended up a very uncomfortable grind, that with a bit of bad rub, a couple of posts and bad finishes, could easily have gone away from us, when we should be more comfortable against shit cunts like Newcastle. Our play lacked tempo, incision, wit or craft and will continue to do so with players like Dier, Sissoko at the hub of it.

Individual

Lloris - Good game.

Aurier - Looks like a novice out there. Here's an idea, lets paly one that doesn't.

Davies - Meh.

Alli - Decent enough.

You know what is soggy shit? Your understanding of football. Please stop trying to force your whiny bullshit on us. I stopped reading after the first two paragraphs.

Fuck off.

Well a forum is about debate , good , bad and ugly if not occasionally stupid as in my case. Many have issues they feel are never really addressed so naturally (if unfournatly for some ) they have an continue grievance on certain matters and will be raised again .
Understandably if you don't see things the same way it may get your tits up. So we all take it on the chin, maybe getting personal , bitter to others and intolerant is not good karma for all our wellbeing .
Many shouldn't take it so serious.
We wouldn't want the the Good Ship Lollypop

Last edited:
Fucking lol, fans expecting us to destroy opposing teams from day 1... Why don’t you just fuck off and enjoy the 3 points? We always started slow in the previous seasons, I don’t give a shit if we win the rest of the games 1-0 until we go full throttle.

You can't sell players if other teams don't want them.

I forgot to add Llorente to that list of pointless Poch additions. Janssen wasn’t a world beater but was much more mobile and viable as a back up than Llorente is, why an earth we allowed Poch to spend another 15m plus wages, and add another non HG player to boot was completely daft.

Keita is physically and technically nothing like Sissoko, he's smaller, a 6/8 hybrid who can play in CM2’s or CM3’s. He’s great without the ball defensively, can press really well, is technically superb and can see and play incisive passes.

Kante is even more removed. Small, slight and wiry, he's a rapacious hunter, but again with excellent technique, fabulous reading and sees the quick transition. Can play in the double pivot of a CM2 or anchor in a CM3.

Sissoko is nothing like either of those. He's a unit, has poor technique, no vision, reads the game very badly from midfield, and is more about blunt power, has no vision. Has rarely ever played in CM2. He played about 5 of his nearly 200 games as a CM2 for Toulouse before being moved forward into wide or central attacking positions of a 4141 diamond by Casanova, with Capoue and Didot in deeper roles. At Newcastle he played most of his games as a WRF in a 433, or ARM in a 4231, very occasionally playing as the right 8 in the CM3. He's terrible as a CM without the ball, doesn't read, is slow to react, and everything he does with the ball is telegraphed an hour in advance. He's only ever been effective as a wide forward or ARM, powering through defenders and getting into the box on the end of things. Not instingating them, like Keita and Kante.

My view is that giving Poch so much say in recruitment is what has done for us now. We are stuck with a bunch of second rate (at best) players - Sissoko, Aurier, Llorente, Gasaniga, Moura - that's 100m plus a shitload of wages. And I reckon if Poch got Liverpool money, there's very little evidence that he'd have spent it wisely.
Why not fuck off and support Liverpool then - instead of posting boring fucking diatribes on here?
I kind of like what the guy has achieved, as it beats the shit of some of the mediocrity I've had to endure over the last 50 years.

Hey,

I’ve given what you’ve said some thought, and by and large, I think it’s fair enough so I accept that, and apologies.

I just get frustrated with what I perceive to be overly negative behaviours at times, and I DO think that some people on this forum do have a rather pessimistic, negative view on things, in the same way that I think you’d also be fair in saying that perhaps others may go too far the other way.

You are right in saying that this forum should not be an echo chamber, and I take that on board. I just think that once people have stated their criticism (for example, of the transfer window), then they should move on and focus on the upcoming games etc, rather than continually repeat their frustrations.

That’s my two cents.

No apologies neccesary.

We all get frustrated - just at different things. When people dismiss the FA Cup and League Cup - then state that CL is a higher priority it drives me mental. It’s a complete disregard of the clubs tradition and heritage but I don’t view those who hold that viewpoint any less of a supporter to me.

And inevitably we will get a degree of repetition and yes it can get boring but that’s the nature of the beast and things do move into the next topic.

What the Forum doesn’t need is self appointed moderators deciding what should and shouldn’t be said. It’s completely at odds with the whole ethos of this place.

Last edited:
Baggy Trousers

Individual

Lloris - Good game.

Davies - Meh.

Alli - Decent enough.

Based on your criticisms of Poch I would say

1. We can’t play high tempo all the time, the first and second season we often burned out in games or periods. Hence I can see why he has changed a little.

2. I get the point on Sissoko and technical issues. We should have bought in the window players who can pass like Chelsea with Kovacic, if we are moving away from a high tempo to a more technical like City we need more technical players. That being said Poch keeps his mouth shut so we won’t know for years till he is gone what happened this window.

For me it’s a technical issue, if we ever want to beat City to the title we need
3-4 Eriksens like they have De Bruyne, David Silva, Bernardo Silve etc and we only have 1 Eriksen. As such City can move the ball very quickly and we can’t because Sissoko compared to De Bruyne at passing is a different animal.

Baggy Trousers

Individual

Lloris - Good game.

Davies - Meh.

Alli - Decent enough.

Oh do please just fuck off...
:dembelefingers:

Back
Top Bottom