New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unfortunately the likes of sammyspurs sammyspurs don't know what they're talking about on this issue. They remember the days of the Lane from years ago. But sammy hasn't been to the Lane more than a handful of times in the past decade.

This idea that there was some sort of rocking atmosphere at the Lane prior to this season baffles me to no end. There hasn't been a great atmosphere for years. Hell, the whole 1882 movement that this site was built around was prompted by the lack of atmosphere. Hell, the boos have been louder than cheers in recent years (the AVB era come sot mind). There is only one difference between Wembley and the Lane and that is that the capacity is such that now we see empty seats. But this idea that when the Lane sold out it was the bees knees just isn't true.

Haha, its funny cos Ive never been to Stoke but still know they generally generate a noise...Ive been to WHL when its been quiet too, but that doesnt stop anyone from gauging which home grounds are generally atmospheric in terms of modern PL football. And we are 100% up there.

If you enjoy the Wembley thing this season, then fair play. Slag off WHL all you want, doesnt change the fact that Wembley is a plastic crap hole, that doesnt hold any noise. Playing there in the PL is a spectacle.

England are there later......Woolwich won a trophy there 4 months ago. Nothing about it is ours.

It was everyone's first game once - we had 30 odd thousand 'regulars' at WHL because that's all we could fit in

Ive got nothing against "new fans".....I find it weird that people are complaining about them, yet they are advocating using a stadium with 60,000 more seats than WHL.
Where do you think they came from? Not everyone was an avid and dedicated fan who just couldnt get into the Lane.

Wembley was the ultimate tourist magnet.....not many part timers would have gone to MK, so if you are all for Wembley, its just to accept that its crap.

Of course there have been crap atmospheres at WHL, but 36,000 to 90,000 is quite a jump, and if people are going to moan about daytrippers and tourists, well where the hell did you think a large chunk of the extra fans came from?

Its a fallacy to think more fans means better atmosphere. Id rather 60,000 because I think the whole Wembley thing for games against Burnley etc looks half empty despite there being 70,000 or so there.

I think 60,000 would have been better for the morale of the team and our reputation. Knowing you can sell 90,000 but having 67,000 turn up kind of makes me frustrated. Still, fans that don't usually get to see a game get to see us, which ultimately is the main thing

There is only one difference between Wembley and the Lane and that is that the capacity is such that now we see empty seats. But this idea that when the Lane sold out it was the bees knees just isn't true.

The acoustics at Wembley are beyond shit - it's difficult to get chants going because you always feel slightly off-time with fans elsewhere in the stadium, which feels awkward.

Completely agree that WHL could be, and regularly was, muted atmosphere - but it was also far easier to get a decent atmosphere going if fans were up for it.

Honestly, I don't give a fuck what they call it. Us, the fans, will be calling it White Hart Lane and that's all that matters.

If every fan still does the usual, ''How you getting to the Lane?'' etc. the lexicon will persevere, even if Sky and BT call it ''Nike Stadium'' or whatever bollocks. Seeing and hearing 60k+ people every week keeping the spirit, the tradition and passion of the Lane alive, will see us through and we'll mock those that use any other term than White Hart Lane.

Each to their own. I would prioritise making as much of an intimidating atmosphere as possible rather than having a Dortmund style stand, but as I've said most people seem to disagree with me, in which case fair enough. The new ground will certainly be different from WHL, it remains to be seen whether it will be better or worse, personally I don't think it will match up, but we will see.
It won't match up. Nothing they made could. WHL is iconic.

But what we must do, and credit to Levy for providing us as good an opportunity to do it, is embrace the new place. It's the same postcode, the same journey, the same people. It'll be what WE make it.

Unfortunately the likes of sammyspurs sammyspurs don't know what they're talking about on this issue. They remember the days of the Lane from years ago. But sammy hasn't been to the Lane more than a handful of times in the past decade.

This idea that there was some sort of rocking atmosphere at the Lane prior to this season baffles me to no end. There hasn't been a great atmosphere for years. Hell, the whole 1882 movement that this site was built around was prompted by the lack of atmosphere. Hell, the boos have been louder than cheers in recent years (the AVB era come sot mind). There is only one difference between Wembley and the Lane and that is that the capacity is such that now we see empty seats. But this idea that when the Lane sold out it was the bees knees just isn't true.
I agree and disagree. WHL could be toxic. Criminally so. But also, on it's day (and it had its day more than all the other stadiums in the country imo), it was ridiculous. When Harry Kane scored to go 2-1 up against Woolwich with that whipped shot off the post I don't think I've seen the place go quite so ballistic.

It's peaks and troughs, Spurs fans are hard taskmasters and players know this, the media knows this.

I don't think any club/ground in the country can claim they have rocked their stadium hosting Hull for example. Games of that ilk will always suffer for atmosphere

Haha, its funny cos Ive never been to Stoke but still know they generally generate a noise...Ive been to WHL when its been quiet too, but that doesnt stop anyone from gauging which home grounds are generally atmospheric in terms of modern PL football. And we are 100% up there.

If you enjoy the Wembley thing this season, then fair play. Slag off WHL all you want, doesnt change the fact that Wembley is a plastic crap hole, that doesnt hold any noise. Playing there in the PL is a spectacle.

England are there later......Woolwich won a trophy there 4 months ago. Nothing about it is ours.

If I enjoy "the Wembley thing"? Your usual hyperbolic straw man tactic, eh? I was not advocating the idea that Wembley is a grand experience. I believe my point is that The Lane is being made out to be grand in it's atmosphere compared to Wembley when it has been anything but in recent years. How many times have you been to The Lane in the past ten years? How many visits will you make to Wembley? To be blunt, this is one subject on which I don't think you are sufficiently qualified to pass comment purely for the reason that you haven't experienced the crowds frequently.

We can debate the merits of Wembley until the cows come home. But the rot in the fandom started at WHL years ago.

I agree and disagree. WHL could be toxic. Criminally so. But also, on it's day (and it had its day more than all the other stadiums in the country imo), it was ridiculous. When Harry Kane scored to go 2-1 up against Woolwich with that whipped shot off the post I don't think I've seen the place go quite so ballistic.

It's peaks and troughs, Spurs fans are hard taskmasters and players know this, the media knows this.

I don't think any club/ground in the country can claim they have rocked their stadium hosting Hull for example. Games of that ilk will always suffer for atmosphere
What is "WHL on it's day"? We're comparing hundreds and hundreds of games to a handful played at a temporary home.

How many times have you been to The Lane in the past ten years?

About 18

How many visits will you make to Wembley?
None for the PL

To be blunt, this is one subject on which I don't think you are sufficiently qualified to pass comment purely for the reason that you haven't experienced the crowds frequently.
LOL

We can debate the merits of Wembley until the cows come home. But the rot in the fandom started at WHL years ago.
The rot in the fandom? The people moaning about the cunts.......or the cunts themselves?

Its all a bit rich to be honest......why hasnt anyone taken up the 1882 mantle if there is such a problem?
It all just disappeared without trace....people saying WHL was shit.

If you're so qualified to an opinion on it because you go to so many games, why didnt you do something about it?
No one here wanted to pick up and carry the 1882 torch when it burned out....so no one really has a leg to stand on when cunting off fans that dont sing.

There is only one difference between Wembley and the Lane and that is that the capacity is such that now we see empty seats.
Can't agree with this.

I agree that WHL had a poor atmosphere for a lot of games. As I said earlier in the thread, home atmosphere is dead in the Prem except for big games. But even so the two are hardly comparable. The acoustics, the fact you're closer to the pitch, different people attending (less tourists, corporates, day-trippers etc), away fans next to most hostile/loudest home fans, the High Road, the fact it is our home, the fact it is in Tottenham, the right people in the appropriate stands etc etc.

About 18

None for the PL
Right so you've experienced between one to two games a season (assuming they are league games) and won't likely experience any in the temporary stadium to compare it to. Well how then are you in any position to comment? :pochfacepalm:

If you're so qualified to an opinion on it because you go to so many games, why didnt you do something about it?
No one here wanted to pick up and carry the 1882 torch when it burned out....so no one really has a leg to stand on when cunting off fans that dont sing.
I sing when I'm at games and I went to as many 1882 games as I can. You know what I do for a living and that I am self employed. My work is erratic and I just don't have the time to devote to fan movements as you well know. It is a younger man's endeavour. But I do as much as I can. Besides, this is again a straw man. I haven't been moaning about the atmosphere. That's you lot. My only comment was that this idea that Wembley is a stark contrast to WHL is a fallacy. People are already looking at the Lane through rose tinited glasses yet forget the many games when the crowd was silent or, worse still, booing.

Right so you've experienced between one to two games a season (assuming they are league games) and won't likely experience any in the temporary stadium to compare it to. Well how then are you in any position to comment? :pochfacepalm:

I sing when I'm at games and I went to as many 1882 games as I can. You know what I do for a living and that I am self employed. My work is erratic and I just don't have the time to devote to fan movements as you well know. It is a younger man's endeavour. But I do as much as I can. Besides, this is again a straw man. I haven't been moaning about the atmosphere. That's you lot. My only comment was that this idea that Wembley is a stark contrast to WHL is a fallacy. People are already looking at the Lane through rose tinited glasses yet forget the many games when the crowd was silent or, worse still, booing.
We are both moaning about atmosphere, I'm simply defending WHL over Wembley.

You might have an ST and I might not get many games a year, but how odd that I still know full well WHL pissed on Wembley for atmosphere.

Where you been sitting, West Stand behind the tinted glass..?

There are people who go every week who say the same.
My tv has sound funnily enough too...do you think it's impossible to tell from a tv?

Maybe the Etihad is a cauldron of noise really then

:dembelewtf:

We are both moaning about atmosphere, I'm simply defending WHL over Wembley.

You might have an ST and I might not get many games a year, but how odd that I still know full well WHL pissed on Wembley for atmosphere.

Where you been sitting, West Stand behind the tinted glass..?
Third straw man. This is why you piss people off.

I never made the case that Wembley was equal to WHL. Learn to read. I am simply saying that it wasn't as grand as people are pretending...and once again, you aren't really in a position to compare, so your opinion is pretty worthless.

Third straw man. This is why you piss people off.

I never made the case that Wembley was equal to WHL. Learn to read. I am simply saying that it wasn't as grand as people are pretending...and once again, you aren't really in a position to compare, so your opinion is pretty worthless.

Yeah, like I said, my tv works just fine.

Do you have a season ticket at the Emirates too? Did you go to every game at Highbury?
No, you still know that they are crap for atmosphere.......Ive never been to Dinamo Zagreb, pretty sure they make a noise at home though.

Funny you have made so many points debating a worthless opinion. Well done for stating that WHL had a crap atmosphere but in no relation to Wembley.

A good solid, non point then Oh Qualified One

:kaneshh:

Yeah, like I said, my tv works just fine.

Do you have a season ticket at the Emirates too? Did you go to every game at Highbury?
No, you still know that they are crap for atmosphere.......Ive never been to Dinamo Zagreb, pretty sure they make a noise at home though.

Funny you have made so many points debating a worthless opinion. Well done for stating that WHL had a crap atmosphere but in no relation to Wembley.

A good solid, non point then Oh Qualified One

:kaneshh:
:rolleyes:

Always gotta win. So sad.

not sure on peoples meanings in some posts

i dont like wembley
i really dont like the lack of atmosphere
not many spurs fans there get vocal

i would rather not have a 60k limit for league games in the hope it would make a better atmosphere as i dont think it would.
i would rather sell as many as we can and when harry gets his hat trick against the scum i am sure the place will explode and 90,000 people will savour the moment for the rest of their lives.

who decides who can attend and who cant? ive sat and stood all over whl and there are a hell of a lot of regulars who dont squeak unless we score - i would prefer them all to sing/chant with me but getting them to is easier said than done.
THFC need to be clever with who goes in the new south stand next season but how do they filter????

i dont like wembley

i would rather not have a 60k limit for league games in the hope it would make a better atmosphere as i dont think it would.
i would rather sell as many as we can and when harry gets his hat trick against the scum i am sure the place will explode and 90,000 people will savour the moment for the rest of their lives.

who decides who can attend and who cant? ive sat and stood all over whl and there are a hell of a lot of regulars who dont squeak unless we score - i would prefer them all to sing/chant with me but getting them to is easier said than done.
THFC need to be clever with who goes in the new south stand next season but how do they filter????
Put people who were in the old south stand (and the shelf) in the new one?
Or ask poeple would they like to be in a stand that they expect will be very loud and constant singing.

i dont like wembley

The truth is that complaining about Wembley is moronic. It's a temporary home and the harsh truth is that most of the people there are from our fan base. People act as it it's a whole different set of fans. It's the best temp home we could've had (easy for people sitting abroad to bleep on about season ticket holders going all the way up to MK). It's not the new stadium.

Any fan who says he isn't going to Wembley is a cunt. Any fan who turns up at Wembley and sits like a corpse is a cunt. We can make Wembley our own if we put some bloody effort in. We support the team, not a demolished stadium.

Shouldnt have to filter, but they should spend this year making it clear that end for singing and offer it to PL and Shelfsiders first.

If they are serious about atmosphere, the solution is very simple....just ask the fans, unlike the pathetic drum scenario.

Back
Top Bottom