New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bit of undercover work on SSC dug this up today...
6ad23103754d7b670d97d5150af642b3.jpg

So, when I emailed the club a couple of months ago asking "why the fuck are you renewing the flooring in the Nort Stand fucking toilets/restrooms if your knocking the fucking gaff down in May". We'll, we now know why they didn't have the courtesy of offering me a reply...

Knowing someone who works on the project I believe they are testing products in small areas to see how they cope. Much better than installing something that has to be ripped at and replaced everywhere.

Makes perfect sense to try different things out

someone connected to company bidding for pitch stating the club have still have not found a solution to the three piece sliding gras pitch, and that this is a big concern. They have tried new materials like alluminium to take of some weight, but the connection points do not work as hoped.
No club has the same system Spurs want with only 3 huge 150*50m sliding piezes. And with natural gras you get 2*150 m long connection points with natural gras. Tests in smaller scales shows that the gras needs more than 1 week to grow back nicely but still you get an visable line where you will get an uneven surface... they are working extremely hard, and with different companies to solve this.

IMG_1877_zpsutc2mc6g.jpg

This is actually pictures from a testing with 20*30m panels. At first sight, this looks incredible, but here the gras has been joint for 4-5 days. In this photo you would think there is no issues, but when they try to build it much bigger, the weight of the panels are enourmous and need thicker framework etc. If they could use smaller panels it would be easier.
they are facing issues... Tottenham are crystal clear that they will not accept anything less than "perfection", and they need to know this will work for many years...

The weight of the pitch panels will be enormous, I'm not surprised there are engineering challenges but they have to get the right people involved to solve them and I find it a bit surprising this is not figured out yet at this stage. The main thing will be distributing the weight evenly which will require a lot of support to be in place. Support that can move because you'll need to maintain support while it is being retracted. Bearings, wheels, air, hydraulics, magnets. I don't know. And then there is the issue of reliability, you don't want to have to replace it any time soon or to have high maintenance costs and it has to work when you need it to.

I'm in no way qualified to comment, but it always struck me that surely it would be simpler to have the fake pitch as the one that slides away?
Then it wouldn't be a football stadium. The pitch would be further away, deeper into the stadium floor, maybe 6-12ft, that's fine for NFL as there is an army of people on both touchline's for each game (it's why the front 20 odd rows at Wembley are ripped off when they play NFL there). That wouldn't wash with any of us, some still trying to get their head around having the stadium shared with "other" events other than Spurs football matches.

It's not uncommon for pitches to be in trays, many cricket pitches are now dropped in.

A blog about the latest on the stadium from a Sky Scraper City chap.
Stadium – Happy Pig Farmers

A bit of a concern regarding the 'tunnel club', "This has been contentious with the players as they really do not want to be watched in the tunnel…"

Personally, if the players don't like it, I'd ditch the idea. As much as it would bring in extra revenue from voyeurs and weirdos who like to look at people through one way glass, if the players aren't feeling relaxed and focused on the game they're about to play due to the fact they're being spied on....it's not worth it.

A bit of a concern regarding the 'tunnel club', "This has been contentious with the players as they really do not want to be watched in the tunnel…"

Personally, if the players don't like it, I'd ditch the idea. As much as it would bring in extra revenue from voyeurs and weirdos who like to look at people through one way glass, if the players aren't feeling relaxed and focused on the game they're about to play due to the fact they're being spied on....it's not worth it.

Yep, they're scrutinised on and off the pitch, so the last few minutes before walking out to 60,000 people should be as private as possible.

Back
Top Bottom