New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuckin joke. Everyone stands in the Kop, stretford end, Matthew Harding lower etc. They build a bloody great big single tier stand, make sure the fans are well liquored before hand with the huge goal line bar and beers at £4 a pop and then expect everyone to act like their at the opera. Piss off.

My first visit to the new gaff on Tuesday.

That first glimpse of the South Stand as you walk down from Northumberland Park is fucking impressive. No pictures actually do that perspective justice, no pictures actually convey the sheer gargantuan enormity of the thing.

That view of the South Stand is the best aspect of the whole stadium IMO, That huge glass facade, showing all the innards , girders, stanchions, floors, ant like punters milling around it's spaces, nods ever so slightly to buildings like Lloyds (London) and the Pompidou in Paris, and I really wish they'd repeated more of this all round the building, or at the very least echo'd it at the North end.

I never liked the grey cladding in the pictures, and don't like it much in the flesh. And looking out through it from the instead is pretty uninspiring too.

Once inside, the walkways are bigger/wider but rammed with double the people there really is very little difference to the old WHL in terms of moving around, and the same goes for bars/food, loads more of them, but shitloads more people meant queues were even bigger. Maybe this will settle down, but I don't see how as long as attendances stay high.

The stadium itself is pretty fucking impressive. Love that it's not a bowl, it's clearly two ends and two sides, and the behemoth South Stand is a fucking truly marvellous sight to behold from the other end, and breaks up the symmetry superbly. The view of the pitch is superb, only grumble is, if your in the higher parts of the north upper your view of the upper parts of the rest of the ground, and the TV screen opposite, is completely obscured by shitloads of metalwork hanging down from what looks like a airplane boarding tunnel which is, in turn, hanging down from the roof.

Other minor grumble would be the three rows of neon LED advertising that remains glaringly on the whole game, it was mildly annoying watching on TV, in the flesh it's even more annoying, makes you feel a bit like your sitting in a pin ball machine. Just don't get why three rows of the same advertising are needed in such proximity to each other.

I've read a lot about standing last few pages. Even though we were high up in the North stand, we were up and down every time the ball came towards our touch line. I wouldn't normally give a shit really, but it does get on your tits a bit when your L2 disk hernia is giving you gip. I just don't get who starts it, if your in the front row of the tier, why the fuck do you need to stand up, causing every cunt behind you to stand up in an upward wave.

For someone who'd been going to the old place for 40 odd years, the whole thing felt very surreal, which just added to the enjoyment of the night; don't mind a bit of surrealism; the great atmosphere for this game helped, and this stadium feels like it's built for big nights like Tuesday. When the noise gets going it's fucking superb.

Getting back to NP from the North West corner was a bit more of a slog than from the old south stand obviously and the old bill (who never used to interfere much at NP like they always have at AHL station) were now making a pigs ear things when I got there - three trains left half empty whilst thousands of us were held back from the platform.

All in all though a great night.

Last edited:
This no standing shit needs nipped in the bud right now....I call for a 10 min sit down tomorrow, 17,500 fans just sit there in silence with their arms crossed....
Jesus I can’t believe the club released this to the media and now we will be watched like a hawk by all the jobs worth’s out there, whilst at the same time they are ignoring the standing at every ground in the country.....
Our club is a fucking joke at times!!!!!

When you want to imitate Dortmund's atmosphere but you charge £800 minimum for a season ticket and kick out fans for standing up.

Modern football, spurs have a great PR team.

Copying quips from Reddit?

Looking at your post history there is not a single positive post about anything. You hate Son, Poch is gone in the summer, Levy sucks, Danny Rose is a cunt, Eriksen is shit, Sanchez too, Moura a fascist and so on...

Piss of, cunt.

Didn't;t they try that at the palace game?
Not sure, but the fact some plank at the club thought it would be a plan to fucking advertise the fact we banned fans for this is beyond a joke, and the club making public statements about telling fans to sit down before the city game was embarrassing......if they keep this crap of banning fans going the south stand will be half full by the end of the season.....
Good god, we wait for this thing to be built after all the dramas and finally move in and it now becomes yet another public drama....

Not sure, but the fact some plank at the club thought it would be a plan to fucking advertise the fact we banned fans for this is beyond a joke, and the club making public statements about telling fans to sit down before the city game was embarrassing......if they keep this crap of banning fans going the south stand will be half full by the end of the season.....
Good god, we wait for this thing to be built after all the dramas and finally move in and it now becomes yet another public drama....
First time for me today at the new place.
I’m a bit worried about all this no standing bollocks.
It’s like having a Ferrari that you can only drive at 30mph because the insurance company made you have a fucking black box.

I think the key thing here, is refusing to sit down when you’re asked.

In my lofty position half way up the south stand, we weren’t approached once by the stewards, whereas in other areas you could see them asking people to sit down. If you repeatedly ignore these requests, I can see why you’d be ejected.

Basically, unless you’re asked by a steward to sit down, stay standing.

I think the key thing here, is refusing to sit down when you’re asked.

In my lofty position half way up the south stand, we weren’t approached once by the stewards, whereas in other areas you could see them asking people to sit down. If you repeatedly ignore these requests, I can see why you’d be ejected.

Basically, unless you’re asked by a steward to sit down, stay standing.
100% agree with this. The people were more likely banned for persistently defying or/and arguing and being aggressive with the stewards than the actual standing offence. As stated here, everyone bar a couple of rows in the South was standing the entire game. Stewards near us were doing their job by gesturing to sit but also being friendly and joining in with celebrations etc.

Advice would be just be that if a steward asks you directly to sit, then don’t make a spectacle of yourself and give them a reason to keep an eye on you. Just sit and then resume your normal behaviour after they’ve moved on.

Unless they get a squadron of fully tooled-up riot police with a dozen horses in there, they ain’t getting 17k people to sit.

First point - the email about banning people is a half-truth; in fact it was the standard match day guide they always send with a paragraph halfway down about standing:

PERSISTENT STANDING

It was an amazing night on Tuesday and an intense atmosphere which undoubtedly played its role in the team’s success in the first leg of our Champions League Quarter-Final against Manchester City.

However, it is important that everyone is able to see the match and enjoy it.

We appreciate that fans will rise up at key moments in the match. Persistently standing for the whole match or for long periods, along with failing to heed requests from the stewards and fellow fans to be seated, is not acceptable behaviour, notwithstanding it’s against ground regulations. Several bans have, therefore, been issued to fans as a consequence of their persistent standing.

Once again, we would remind Season Ticket Holders that they are responsible for anyone who is in their seat. Ticket Share operates so that we can identify who is in a seat. This is for everyone’s security. If you pass your ticket to anyone outside of Ticket Share who then behaves inappropriately, we shall deem both yourself and the individual attending to be liable for any penalties.

Secondly, in the five matches I've attended so far (South lower) I've not once had a steward ask me, or anyone near me, to sit.

For Palace and City I stood throughout and so did everyone else around me, no problem. But I'm in the over-18s section with the safe standing bars, which should make all the difference.

I feel sure any bans are arising from persistent standing in other stands coupled with aggressive arguments with stewards.

This was always going to be an issue because of the safe standing rails. I realised that 10 mins into the legends game .I can see in time, depending on how safe standing areas become defined in the regs, the whole of the south stand getting the rails.

Tell you one thing though...if and when safe standing gets legalised, tickets in those areas won't get cheaper.....it'll be a more expensive ticket than sitting down

Back
Top Bottom