New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

but this stadium seems to be allowing the powers that be to not have to answer for the ridiculous decisions they have made recently....

The stadium is part of the reason for not spending on transfers as we prioritsed huge pay rises for Poch, Kane and Dele
(seems like people who were screaming "Pay them what they want!!!" now think that paying them what they wanted doesnt count)
Poch is responsible for what goes on the pitch, and Poch turned his nose up several players including the likes of Teilemans
For what its worth heres the words of Levy and Harry Redknapp. Better than any journo or ITK wouldnt you say?

Pochettino didn’t want any January signings at Spurs, insists Redknapp

Daniel Levy finally explains why Spurs didn't buy anyone in the summer

The stadium is an amazing achievement, and far from the powers that be using it to mask theur failings, they have simply delivered their part of the bargain, albeit late.
Whats happening on the pitch is the responsiblity of the players and manager, so any failings there have nothing to do with the new ground.

The quotes above tell you everything you need to know about why we didnt sign anyone

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to be a little annoyed by all thiscstadium is everything and fuck what happens on the pitch....its just how I'm feeling now.. it's gonna be amazing but we should be concentrating on why we are doing so shit on the pitch.we all know the reasons why but this stadium seems to be allowing the powers that be to not have to answer for the ridiculous decisions they have made recently........
Probably just you. The stadium is massive news for the club.

Is it just me or is anyone else starting to be a little annoyed by all thiscstadium is everything and fuck what happens on the pitch....its just how I'm feeling now.. it's gonna be amazing but we should be concentrating on why we are doing so shit on the pitch.we all know the reasons why but this stadium seems to be allowing the powers that be to not have to answer for the ridiculous decisions they have made recently........

Fuck off

Probably you and most green-eyed non-Spurs fans ... the stadium will pay off over the next fifty years, it's the biggest investment our club has ever seen. What happens on the pitch going forward will only happen BECAUSE we now have a stadium to compete with the best ... it's really not that hard to understand.

After & before. Christ look how big the new gaff is compared to the Lane!

D1ZMZdPWkAArvi7
#Fatherted
:harrylol:

The stadium is part of the reason for not spending on transfers as we prioritsed huge pay rises for Poch, Kane and Dele
(seems like people who were screaming "Pay them what they want!!!" now think that paying them what they wanted doesnt count)
Poch is responsible for what goes on the pitch, and Poch turned his nose up several players including the likes of Teilemans
For what its worth heres the words of Levy and Harry Redknapp. Better than any journo or ITK wouldnt you say?

Pochettino didn’t want any January signings at Spurs, insists Redknapp

Daniel Levy finally explains why Spurs didn't buy anyone in the summer

The stadium is an amazing achievement, and far from the powers that be using it to mask theur failings, they have simply delivered their part of the bargain, albeit late.
Whats happening on the pitch is the responsiblity of the players and manager, so any failings there have nothing to do with the new ground.

The quotes above tell you everything you need to know about why we didnt sign anyone

Daniel Levy said that, concerning budgets, the stadium won’t directly impact on the transfer policy. There is a certain amount earmarked for transfers and the club can only spend what is available.

"He also said that transfers were complicated with several variables so it was not possible to work out in advance how much you could spend in a given window

How can you not know how much you can spend in a given window?? By having a policy of sell before you can buy, thats how. If Poch cannot raise money through sales he is going to struggle to have funds to buy anyone decent.

This makes it very difficult for Poch. He is reliant on Levy to negotiate sales before he can even attempt to bring anyone new in. So Poch goes into a window completely blind and with his hands tied behind his back. Yes a big complication and variable that Levy talks about.

Levy says there is "a certain amount earmarked for transfers"? Is there? Then whats all this " you cannot work out in advance how much you can spend in a window"

Fucking riddles. Levy should go into politics.

Daniel Levy said that, concerning budgets, the stadium won’t directly impact on the transfer policy. There is a certain amount earmarked for transfers and the club can only spend what is available.

"He also said that transfers were complicated with several variables so it was not possible to work out in advance how much you could spend in a given window

How can you not know how much you can spend in a given window?? By having a policy of sell before you can buy, thats how. If Poch cannot raise money through sales he is going to struggle to have funds to buy anyone decent.

This makes it very difficult for Poch. He is reliant on Levy to negotiate sales before he can even attempt to bring anyone new in. So Poch goes into a window completely blind and with his hands tied behind his back. Yes a big complication and variable that Levy talks about.

Levy says there is "a certain amount earmarked for transfers"? Is there? Then whats all this " you cannot work out in advance how much you can spend in a window"

Fucking riddles. Levy should go into politics.

Yeah, see I have more faith in what Harry Redknapp and Daniel Levy and Poch himself say, than some blokes on The Fighting Cock.
Funny that

Yeah, see I have more faith in what Harry Redknapp and Daniel Levy and Poch himself say, than some blokes on The Fighting Cock.
Funny that

Levy did say that though 100%, the two statements contradict each other mate.

Saying that there is a “certain amount earmarked for transfers” and then saying that “You cannot work out in advance how much you have to spend in a window”

Those are just two contradicting statements and, imo, shows Levy is being dishonest.

If I was to read between the lines I actually think Levy will not buy unless we sell and we will not sell unless it’s a price Levy deems fair, which sort of puts Poch in a pickle.

Hence why I think we need a DOF to negotiate deals, Poch can still pick the targets but the DOF deals with Levy basically.

It's just you...you do realise that not being able to play on our own fucking pitch might be one of our problems...maybe we should just forget about stadiums and just book a pitch on Hackney Marshes for each game...

Not often I think the same as Merson however, this is my fear too.
He doesn't know any one :Juventus only lost three matches of their first 100 Italian top-flight league matches at the Juventus Stadium.

Munich won 14/17 when they moved

Atletico won 15 and drawn 2 since they moved in this year (including CL).

*we did all right at Wembley.

Espanyol 23 points to 25 points at home with the move

He is mainly basing his view on Woolwich and westham IMO.

Saying that there is a “certain amount earmarked for transfers” and then saying that “You cannot work out in advance how much you have to spend in a window”

Those are just two contradicting statements and, imo, shows Levy is being dishonest.
I disagree that they're contradicting.

You have a transfer budget, but if you sell a player then the money available for incoming transfers increases. Therefore, you don't know exactly how much your transfer budget is until you know how much is coming in.

Not meaning to be rude but I thought that was quite simple, to be honest.

You have a transfer budget, but if you sell a player then the money available for incoming transfers increases. Therefore, you don't know exactly how much your transfer budget is until you know how much is coming in.

Myy point is, if there is a certain amount earmarked for transfers then it is possible to at least have knowledge of a minimum amount you can spend therefore you can work out how much you have to spend in a window.

So my question would be, why haven’t we spent anything the last two windows? Is that amount so low that we simply cannot afford anybody of decent quality?

If I was to read between the lines I actually think Levy will not buy unless we sell and we will not sell unless it’s a price Levy deems fair, which sort of puts Poch in a pickle.

Hence why I think we need a DOF to negotiate deals, Poch can still pick the targets but the DOF deals with Levy basically.

He said there was a certain amount earmarked, he didnt say that we had a specific amount locked away in the safe. It was an amount "earmarked"....that can mean an intended amount, yet it can still be difficult to know specifically how much we would have in. Whats dishonest about it?

Poch said he chose not to spend, he said there was money, numerous sources say he turned down Tielemans.
He gambled on the form of players returning from injury.

None of this is relevant to the stadium build

Exactly

Myy point is, if there is a certain amount earmarked for transfers then it is possible to at least have knowledge of a minimum amount you can spend, so my question would be, why haven’t we spent anything the last two windows? Is that amount so low that we simply cannot afford anybody of decent quality?

We tried to buy Grealish with the limited money we had but because Levy tried to take the piss out of Villa it wasn't possible. I guess there was nobody else we wanted to spend £25m on.

He said there was a certain amount earmarked, he didnt say that we had a specific amount locked away in the safe. It was an amount "earmarked"....that can mean an intended amount, yet it can still be difficult to know specifically how much we would have in. Whats dishonest about it?

Poch said he chose not to spend, he said there was money, numerous sources say he turned down Tielemans.
He gambled on the form of players returning from injury.

None of this is relevant to the stadium build

I am just being pedantic I think, I read it in the way that Levy was saying it’s impossible to know what we can spend in a window but I was questioning how that is the case if he already has a certain amount earmarked.

I think it’s the way he worded it rather than him being dishonest in this instance, so I was wrong, my brain isn’t fully switched on this morning apparently.

Can't sleep so I did what any sane man would and checked out Tottenham's financial results, only to stumble upon the following:

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/media/10293/tottenham-hotspur-limited-300617-annual-report-2017.pdf

Page 27:

15. Non-current liabilities (continued) Bank loans (in notes 14 and 15)

The Investec Bank facility of £16,000,000 used to fund the construction of the new Training Ground and secured against the new Training Ground site was amended and extended to £25,000,000 in August 2015. Following a repayment of £2,000,000, £23,000,000 is outstanding at the balance sheet date and repayable over the period to December 2022. No further amounts can be drawn on this facility. The interest on this amount is paid quarterly and tracks the London Inter- Bank Offer Rate. The bank loan is shown in the financial statements net of £212,000 of associated loan arrangement costs which are being amortised over the term of the loan.

In May 2017 a £400,000,000 Bank loan was entered into with HSBC Bank plc, Goldman Sachs Bank USA and Bank of America Merrill Lynch International Limited for the purpose of constructing the new stadium site. The Bank loan is guaranteed by debenture over the legal mortgage of the freehold interest in the new stadium site and fixed security over the shares in Tottenham Hotspur Football & Athletic Co. Ltd and Tottenham Hotspur Stadium Limited and other specific security. At the balance sheet date £152,489,000 of the loan was drawn. The loan is repayable in May 2022 and is shown in the financial statements net of £3,972,000 of associated loan arrangement costs which are being amortised over the term of the loan.

In May 2017 a £25,000,000 short-term revolving loan which forms part of the Group’s £400,000,000 facility was entered into with HSBC Bank plc, which is secured against Group assets and expires in May 2022. At the balance sheet date £10,000,000 was drawn. This loan is shown in the financial statements net of £121,000 of associated loan arrangement costs which are being amortised over the term of the loan.

In December 2015 a £200,000,000 Bank loan was entered into with HSBC Bank plc, Goldman Sachs Bank USA and Bank of America Merrill Lynch International Limited for the purpose of constructing the new stadium site. The Bank loan was secured against White Hart Lane Stadium and future gate and corporate hospitality receipts generated at the Stadium. At the prior year balance sheet date £100,000,000 of the loan was drawn and was shown in the financial statements net of £855,000 of associated loan arrangement costs which are being amortised over the term of the loan. The loan was repaid in May as part of the Bank loan detailed above.

I'm no accountant but from what I can see in each paragraph the following has occurred:

1. The club still owe £23m on the training ground loan, due to get paid up in full in December 2022

2. The club took out a £400m loan in May 2017 that needs to get paid up in full by May 2022

3. The club took out a further £25m loan in May 2017, due to get paid up in full by May 2022

4. The club took out a loan of £200m in December 2015 which has now been paid back in full.

So the club has outstanding bank loan debts of £448m that needs to get paid in the next 3 years but has already paid off £200m. Anyone that can clarify if that's correct? If so it's good to see the club has actually paid £200m & that the other bank debts are due to get paid back relatively quickly compared to what I imagined.

If this is correct it means the club has forked out £200m to pay off the stadium already which if so is pretty good and shows we aren't just sitting on it all. Surprising to see the training ground still has pretty much all of its debt to get paid back however.

If anyone can clarify that would be great.

They will restructure all of the debt once they know the final figures and the development is completed - it becomes more like a bond than a loan at that point so the terms will be more favourable to the club.

For every window the budget is probably 10 mill, and I'm being generous. How can any manager plan with that? It's like having no budget at all.

Levy is trying to be smart with his reasoning, but buying players and the way Levy operates has been an issue for every manager that has worked under him. He squeezed the life out of every deal, outgoing and incoming, for a guy like Poch that wants key signings in before pre sesson starts it must be difficult

Back
Top Bottom