New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Precisely - people need to think really in terms of our squad when thinking of new manager, Day 1 - de Boer comes in, gets Jan and Eriksen committed as a freebie, then turn to Hugo and try and get another year from him somehow and go from there. He has either worked or played with every name in European football, his net so wide, you dont get any of this with Pochettino as all the good Southampton players will go where they want irrespective of him.

I always think with managers, who would I work for and respect? and I would work for FDB ahead of Poch, rafa, moyes as he seems driven and someone you can respect

100% spot on..

Precisely - people need to think really in terms of our squad when thinking of new manager, Day 1 - de Boer comes in, gets Jan and Eriksen committed as a freebie, then turn to Hugo and try and get another year from him somehow and go from there. He has either worked or played with every name in European football, his net so wide, you dont get any of this with Pochettino as all the good Southampton players will go where they want irrespective of him.

I always think with managers, who would I work for and respect? and I would work for FDB ahead of Poch, rafa, moyes as he seems driven and someone you can respect

Agreed, in particular about the Saints players. Lallana will be the first domino in an exodus I believe anyway, and neither of the two players that would improve us specifically (Lallana and Shaw) look likely to come to us regardless. One good year in the Prem is hardly experience, so it's hardly an advantage as it admittedly is, and especially since he didn't even communicate with the media. So with all this in mind, why are some members of the Spurs board still fond of the guy? I just don't see it.

Maybe because his use of a translator can shield him from the pressures of being at a big club? Still nowhere close enough merit for me to choose him over the assets offered with de Boer.

This is a good read on Pochettino. What he did at Espanyol is much more impressive than it looks on the surface.
http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-hotspur-manager

I remember listening to an interview with Greg Stobart who writes for Goal about Spurs in February or March. This was when it still looked like LVG was going to come in and there was a discussion about Dutch players that might come in. The interviewer suggested perhaps Kevin Strootman would be the perfect answer to our midfield issues. What Greg said which I thought was very smart was that if we want a guy like Strootman we need to buy him when he's leaving PSV, not after he's proved himself to be a big time player at Roma. That is simply the reality of being a club of our size and in our financial situation, we need to buy players on their potential to take a step up rather than ones who have already proved it. For example: Berbatov, Modric, Carrick, Eriksen, and Vertonghen. These are guys that looked primed to take the next step and have. We need to identify and scout well and buy at a tier lower than some of the clubs we are competing with just because of our size.

Why I bring this up is because it is the same with managers. We've been linked to the likes of Ancellotti, Klopp, Simeone, Mourinho (two years ago) etc but we all know that's nonsense. Instead what we need to be doing is finding the next Ancellotti, Klopp, or Simeone. That's where the club needs to be smart in their studies, fact-finding, and interviewing. They need to identify who is the next big thing. That may require us to take a punt on Pochettino, De Boer, or Tuchel.

That's why the LVG scenario was so tantalizing because he was a manager with a history that actually matched our ambition. But ultimately our financial size is much lower than our footballing ambition and that puts us in a spot where we lack the ability to attract a coach that has proved it at the level we would feel comfortable.

In the end, it is extremely unlikely that our manager will have an unassailable resume. I could pick holes through Pochettino, Benitez, FDB, Tuchel, Moyes etc etc. Our ambition outweighs our pull for the most part. We just have to hope that the club has found it's homework and they select someone who they believe is a good fit at the club both tactically and personality wise.

There is no sure fire blueprint for success. We just have to hope we find the next big thing. We've done it with players, now it is time to do it with a manager.

This is a good read on Pochettino. What he did at Espanyol is much more impressive than it looks on the surface.
http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...mauricio-pochettino-tottenham-hotspur-manager

I remember listening to an interview with Greg Stobart who writes for Goal about Spurs in February or March. This was when it still looked like LVG was going to come in and there was a discussion about Dutch players that might come in. The interviewer suggested perhaps Kevin Strootman would be the perfect answer to our midfield issues. What Greg said which I thought was very smart was that if we want a guy like Strootman we need to buy him when he's leaving PSV, not after he's proved himself to be a big time player at Roma. That is simply the reality of being a club of our size and in our financial situation, we need to buy players on their potential to take a step up rather than ones who have already proved it. For example: Berbatov, Modric, Carrick, Eriksen, and Vertonghen. These are guys that looked primed to take the next step and have. We need to identify and scout well and buy at a tier lower than some of the clubs we are competing with just because of our size.

Why I bring this up is because it is the same with managers. We've been linked to the likes of Ancellotti, Klopp, Simeone, Mourinho (two years ago) etc but we all know that's nonsense. Instead what we need to be doing is finding the next Ancellotti, Klopp, or Simeone. That's where the club needs to be smart in their studies, fact-finding, and interviewing. They need to identify who is the next big thing. That may require us to take a punt on Pochettino, De Boer, or Tuchel.

That's why the LVG scenario was so tantalizing because he was a manager with a history that actually matched our ambition. But ultimately our financial size is much lower than our footballing ambition and that puts us in a spot where we lack the ability to attract a coach that has proved it at the level we would feel comfortable.

In the end, it is extremely unlikely that our manager will have an unassailable resume. I could pick holes through Pochettino, Benitez, FDB, Tuchel, Moyes etc etc. Our ambition outweighs our pull for the most part. We just have to hope that the club has found it's homework and they select someone who they believe is a good fit at the club both tactically and personality wise.

There is no sure fire blueprint for success. We just have to hope we find the next big thing. We've done it with players, now it is time to do it with a manager.

In all this you're absolutely correct, but assuming our best available options (aside from Benitez or seemingly waiting on Ancelotti), it is reasonable to speculate on the advantages and disadvantages of those at the same level. I'm "resigned" (for lack of a better term) to Poch or FdB under these same reasons you cite, and as such I do immediately jump to assessing the drawbacks of both.

As such, from what I see, the evidence is overwhelmingly in de Boer's favor.

Exactly.....its fine for certain players to play like cunts and talk about a manager in the papers, but Ade should be dropped for airing his concerns in private.

I don't think any player should undermine a manager in front of everyone, be it in the dressing room in front of the other players or in the press. I'm fine with him "airing his concerns in private" one on one, but he needs to respect that the manager has the final say regardless. That's why he's the manager.

In all this you're absolutely correct, but assuming our best available options (aside from Benitez or seemingly waiting on Ancelotti), it is reasonable to speculate on the advantages and disadvantages of those at the same level. I'm "resigned" (for lack of a better term) to Poch or FdB under these same reasons you cite, and as such I do immediately jump to assessing the drawbacks of both.

As such, from what I see, the evidence is overwhelmingly in de Boer's favor.

I mean we could certainly debate the advantages and disadvantages of those two but at the end of the day anyone who says they are certain one is better than the other is just chancing. You can make a compelling case for or against both.

It is up to the club who have significantly more footballing nous, manpower, resources and finally access to an interview of these men, to put all these factors together and decide which one they believe is a better fit.

8th!!! fuck me are you serious?

they were shit against us both games ,
do me a favour he's the latest flavour of the month
file under that bloke at watford who ended up at northampton
8th for a club like Southampton is very good. Brendan Rodgers' Swansea finished 11th the season before he went to Liverpool. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Pochettino and how he works - he's not my ideal replacement but he wouldn't be a step backwards IMO

I mean we could certainly debate the advantages and disadvantages of those two but at the end of the day anyone who says they are certain one is better than the other is just chancing. You can make a compelling case for or against both.

It is up to the club who have significantly more footballing nous, manpower, resources and finally access to an interview of these men, to put all these factors together and decide which one they believe is a better fit.

You're absolutely right, and I don't envy them for having to try and get this decision right given the pressure. This is strictly all speculation, but I think everyone has made their comments made here with the overarching basis that such a premonition was to be assumed.

That having been said, I cannot see any sort of a case against de Boer aside from the lack of Prem experience which is hardly negated in favor of Poch. Ancelotti and Benitez obviously make sense in this regard, but if this is the only rationale to skip over de Boer than clearly neither de Boer nor Poch should even be under sufficient consideration in comparison to the other two. I'd give anything to have an ear in that boardroom to hear some of the rationale as to why Poch, because for now all I can rationalize is reasons that can be easily countered by basis of fulfillment of those advantages via other options.

8th for a club like Southampton is very good. Brendan Rodgers' Swansea finished 11th the season before he went to Liverpool. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Pochettino and how he works - he's not my ideal replacement but he wouldn't be a step backwards IMO

A step backwards, certainly not. But seemingly not as strong of an option forward.

Levy will spend our entire transfer budget on managers. Poch will handle the Premiership, FdB will handle the League and FA Cup and Rafa will handle Europa. Best of all worlds.

:levyeyes:
Problem_Solved.gif

In the end, it is extremely unlikely that our manager will have an unassailable resume.

Scratch "extremely unlikely" and insert "impossible."

Va Gaal has fallen out with several clubs due to his temperament, and has arguably under-performed in his current post. Hell, Mourinho's entire career has been one with unlimited transfer budgets - and he's a massive cunt -, and one could argue that Guardiola never paid his dues before being handed the keys to two of the world's best clubs, which attained that level under his predecessors.

Someone tell me more about Tuchel. I've gotten bored of the regular candidates at this point; a new candidate is just the off-season drama that I'm desperate for.

Va Gaal has fallen out with several clubs due to his temperament, and has arguably under-performed in his current post. Hell, Mourinho's entire career has been one with unlimited transfer budgets - and he's a massive cunt -, and one could argue that Guardiola never paid his dues before being handed the keys to two of the world's best clubs, which attained that level under his predecessors.

Someone tell me more about Tuchel. I've gotten bored of the regular candidates at this point; a new candidate is just the off-season drama that I'm desperate for.

I didn't realise Tuchel was in the running. He's a good manager, has had Mainz playing well for a couple of years now. I always thought he'd be heading for a bigger job in Germany. He's an interesting name in the hat at least

Agreed, I too would like to hear more about this man. The advocates of him on SC see their comments quickly engulfed and disappeared within the debate over Poch vs FdB.

I didn't realise Tuchel was in the running. He's a good manager, has had Mainz playing well for a couple of years now. I always thought he'd be heading for a bigger job in Germany. He's an interesting name in the hat at least
Well, his name is being bandied about now simply because he asked Mainz to release him from his contract and he's now a free property.

Qualified for Europa twice with the lowest wage bill in the Bundesliga. Very thoughtful on both a tactical and man management level. His training sessions were described to be like, "college courses". Jupp Heynckes once said he was "destined" to manage Bayern. He definitely has a lot of the affable Klopp eccentricity in his personality. Personally, he might be the one who interests me most. I love the way the modern German managers look at football.

Here's two good articles I posted on him early.
http://www.dw.de/rule-breaker-tuchel-leads-mainz-into-a-league-of-their-own/a-17503661
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9421702.stm

Back
Top Bottom