Mousa Sissoko Team v Inter (h) CL 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
bus-conductor bus-conductor
Sissoko - Was poor up until the 80th minute, then he picked up the ball, powered past a couple of players, got his head up, played the right pass which led to the goal. It was a great contribution in an otherwise pretty grim performance, especially second half.

Your blinkered hatred of Sissoko is very boring now, you realise that don't you?

How much yardage did he cover tackles and interceptions? You can't say he had a bad game other then ones run its simply not true
I read that Sissoko had a negative expected key pass left half space channel percentage which was statistically 0.1924 below the average for pisces and scorpions above 5ft 8" who play ball sports (not including bowling).

But he didn't keep the ball moving. That's the point. I even gave you the number. He attempted 14 passes in the last 48 minutes and completed 12 of them. That's pretty abysmal by any standards and one of the reasons we created virtually nothing all half.

But that's just myopic bollocks isn't it .... you show zero understanding of the tactical switch Poch made ...

In the first half only Toby and Winks completed more passes than Sissoko ... and before the substitutions in the second half, it was only Winks who had completed more passes than Sissoko ....

Even after 90 minutes Moussa still had made 40 passes with a 90% completion rate ... that's compared to 46 at 84% versus Chelsea, a game where Poch didn't make a tactical switch for the last twenty minutes ...

Once the Eriksen substitution was made with 20 minutes to go, Eriksen took over the midfield passing role (he's quite good at that) and Sissoko pushed way further forward into an AM role, he started driving at the Inter defence knowing he had both Winks and Eriksen behind him ...

and guess what? That tactical change created the winning goal .... who knew ....

You are a clueless football illiterate, I used to consider your post match reviews as just incredibly negative and biased against certain players ... now I realise you simply have no feckin' idea what you are talking about .....

Sissoko played a fine 70 minutes as a holding CM, he was then inspirational in the last twenty as an AM, creating our winning goal ... so what's not to like?

What next? Hugo doesn't score enough? Dele is a shit left back? why don't we start with 12 players?

Jalen-Rose-towel-throw.gif

Was we watching the same game Sissoko was again arguably our best player busy all game strong in the middle kept the ball moving and ofc that run. Overall we were great in spells no one really had a poor game just frustrating we left it late despite being the better team, but is it really spurs if we don't make the fans sweat

Last edited:
MOTM for me was Poch. Brilliant use of the squad (not just in this game but those preceeding too). Getting his tactics spot on for a 2nd successive game and more importantly than his tactics getting our players mentality right, we stuck to the job, controled the game and stayed patient and were justly rewarded (the only time I felt nevous last night was thier last corner Inter hand in extra time). Subs worked a treat too.

But seeing it's a player thread for me it has to be Vertonghen, another flawless performnce. The older he gets the better his game. Love him.

Dele too was also suberb, dare I say it this season he looks the best I've seen from him. His allround game and allround contribution with and without the ball is a fantastic. He puts fear into defenders who don't know whether to get physical with him, stand off him no matter what they do he gets the better of them either by beating them or quickly moving the ball onto a Spurs shirt in a threatening possition. This year might not be a headline making year where he scores 15 goals or gets 15 asists, ignore these and leave those to the top trump kids and watch what he does. That lay off to Eriksen was as good as Sissoko's run, 80th min in a must win game, against a good side happy to just defend and making as hard as possible for us, that was coolness personified..........He's amazing!!

Last edited:
I’m not sure why this thread degenerates every game into fellow Spurs fans throwing abuse at each other. Save it for when we comment on shit put out by Woolwich Mania or The Shed End .

For the record I completely agree that Chelsea are a better team than Inter which is why our performance on Saturday was so exceptional. If we had left out Eriksen and Son and played Winks and Sissoko at DM I’m not convinced our performance would have been close to what we saw that day. For most of the time Inter were happy to park the bus so we didn’t need to press as much as when we forced Chelsea back.

As far as Sissoko is concerned I , like many others, wanted him out. But he has progressed from that to unarguably a useful option in different formations so that we haven’t suffered too much from the demise of Wanyama and Dembele. And his final ball was the one that broke the deadlock yesterday so he can’t this time be criticised for that.

I’m a little concerned about Moura’s recent form , he’s not looking at all like the player who started the season . Fortunately we can once again team up fully fit and rejuvenated Kane, Deli, Son and Eriksen who are equal to any other quartet in the league. I think Kane clearly prefers Son up there with him over Lucas.

We have 4 great central defenders who can comfortably be rotated without significantly weakening us and I have to give Vertonghen MOTM despite not taking his goal chance. He seamlessly slotted back as if he had never been away.

Slowly slowly catch monkey

Lets start with the selections as there was much discussion about the omissions of Eriksen and Son for this one. As far as Son goes it's moot, he's been disappointing far more often than he's been great the last few months, and he's also been through a WC and Asian Games with no rest, so Ive got no issue with Moura coming in for him. Normally you'd want Eriksen out there for every game possible, as we are just a much better team with him than without him, but I think he's been flogged to death most seasons because of his importance, and I think he now has this stomach issue that's got to be managed. I understand why he was given some rest.

We started the more pro-active team, but given that this was must win for us, and the nature of both sides, that's hardly a surprise, however, this was a much more sedate affair than the intense mauling of Chelsea at the weekend. Part of that was the tactical approach from both sides. Inter weren't going to come with the high line and pro-active intentions of Chelsea, they were far more pragmatic, and for our part, we were much intense. I don't think the 423, or the personnel in it, were quite as good a blend as Saturday either. Good intentions were there, and we did try to do the right things first half, but it was all a little bit flat and got flatter as the game wore on.

I think the second half we were actually pretty poor, and the stats bare this out, we completed 100 less passes than in the first half, possession swung from 55% first half to 46.7 second, and where there were half chances and situations first half, I can barely remember too many sniffs of chances second half. And this wasn't just about a bus park of Inter, we just didn't have the control in midfield that we'd had at the weekend. I don't think Winks and Sissoko as a double pivot CM2 was great. Winks tried hard to get things moving and made more passes than anyone in our team ahead of the CB's 50/54 92% (highest) but he faded second half going from 36 passes to 14 - and game winning surge aside - Sissoko was very insipid, and went from a pretty meh 24 passes first half to 12 second half. And there's no defensive mitigation here ether, because he was terrible second half, there was a moment where his touch let him down, he gave the ball away with everyone - including Aurier upfield, and then just stood and watched as Perisic (who had been standing next to him) charged up the pitch alone in acres of space, it was Inter's most threatening break to that point, and if Icardi had seen Persic it could have been worse. There was just no drive, control or tempo coming from our midfield (both). And there's no defensive mitigation for Sissoko either tonight, he was really lethargic, made no tackles (Winks 2) at all.

Sissoko was lucky not to get hooked when the Poch threw the subs on, but it was lucky he wasn't as he then went on one of those surges, powering past a couple of Inter players, then getting his head up, picking out Alli, who deftly fed Eriksen, who provided the finish. For me, if he's going to be on that pitch this is where he should be, especially as an impact sub, in that outside right channel front right of a 433, powering at tired legs, where he was pushed into when the changes were made. This kind of role is how he made his name at Toulouse and where he was more effective for Newcastle. Yes he can play RM in the central CM3, but I think we have better options for that role most weeks, but he could provide the kind of chaos Mané does at Liverpool in that more forward role IMO. Not as a deeper metronome.

It's hard to pick anyone out on the 90 minutes as standout performer. Sissoko definitely provided the games most inspirational moment, but was pretty turgid otherwise. Winks was livelier but was still also pretty insipid, especially second half. Alli didn't quite manage to fulfil the void left by Eriksen, but was one of the few who was consistently involved throughout the 90 and was once again involved in the goal. Moura and Lamela were both fucking disappointing. Kane is actually looking like proper Kane again, hustle and threat. Normally I hate his trying to dribble, but his first half dribble was one of the best of his Ive seen, glided past players before unleashing. But this was one of those games where he struggled to wade through the treacle of Inter's discipline.

Both FB's were generally solid, saw lots of the ball in midfield areas, but neither really contributed much offensively.

This result was more about the ethos of Poch, that way this Spurs team isn't Spursy. Needed a win, 10 minutes left against a dogged Inter, Pochettino's Spurs found it. And Sissoko is probably the embodiment of that spirit right now, so just to give Bazali Bazali and Co the excuse to suck each off, I'm giving it him.

Individual

Lloris - one horrible Lloris moment when he compounded a poor back pass from Winks by giving it straight to them. Otherwise OK, and one great save lat on.

Aurier - Solid enough.

TA - Good game

JV - Good game.

Davies - Like Aurier, solid enough and saw almost identical amounts of ball. Neither really gave us much of offensive quality.

Winks - Was a bit more involved than Sissoko, with and without the ball, but was pretty insipid and faded second half.

Sissoko - Was poor up until the 80th minute, then he picked up the ball, powered past a couple of players, got his head up, played the right pass which led to the goal. It was a great contribution in an otherwise pretty grim performance, especially second half.

Lamela - Eratic and clumsy, not great.

Alli - Was involved throughout but it was mostly quite inconsequential stuff, but was cool in the moment that mattered.

Moura - pffttt...

Kane - Definitely looking like real slim Kanie again. Aggresion, hustle, I don't mind him having the odd blank when he's at least hauling ass.

Subs - I guess this was a game where they were likely to prove as important as those that started. And they did. All did decent little jobs when they came on, with Eriksen finishing cooly for the win.

Poch - Not been a bad week for Che Poch. Just you think you're out, he drags you back into the revolution.
You have way too much time in your hands. Go get a life or something.

But he didn't keep the ball moving. That's the point. I even gave you the number. He attempted 14 passes in the last 48 minutes and completed 12 of them. That's pretty abysmal by any standards and one of the reasons we created virtually nothing all half.

How much yardage did he cover tackles and interceptions? You can't say he had a bad game other then one run its simply not true

No one angry that I criticised Winks as insipid, Lamela as erratic and clumsy, Moura as pffft, Alli as inconsequential ?

Bazali Bazali
If even the chief sports writer of The Times is saying it’s not one of his (Sissoko) better games, could it possibly be the agenda-ometer is leaning more your way than mine?

I did forget to “credit” Sissoko with his run in the first half, butI also chose not to mention the time in the first half when their guy walked past him and bore down on our box, it was one of their few dangerous moments in the first half, or the time in the second half when he just ambled over and allowed Perisic to get a cross in.

I also didn’t “itemise” or”credit” Winks great run, his shot that hit the bar, or anyone else’s “good moments” but it seems it’s only a crime if we don’t itemise every single piece (2) of Sissoko’s work whilst looking away when he fucks up.

I’m also wondering if you’re actually a Spurs fan, or just a member of the The cult of Sissoko.

Firstly don’t you dare question my allegiance to our great club
I’ve no idea how old you are but I was going to the Lane in the early 60s when you were probably still in nappies!!

So just because the Chief Sports writer of the Times says that it wasn’t one of Sissoko’s better games that’s gospel is it?

Why did nearly 80% on here vote him MOM then?

I know who I’d rather believe especially as I was one of them!

I have no agenda, unlike you, other than to hope for the best for our great team

I have always seen something about Sissoko even when he was continually misplacing passes, losing control of the ball etc and I got major stick on here as I always put myself in the place of an opposing defender
Would I want this beast running at me in full flight?
Would i fuck!
And that wasn’t taking into consideration how much running and covering he has always done or his excellent attitude where he didn’t moan or whinge but got on with it always giving 100%

Fortunately Poch thought the same way, persevered and we now have a player!

Until his run for the goal last night, despite my most fervent hopes, I couldn’t see us scoring but he did what their tiring defence dreaded him doing and he beasted them and is rightly getting all the plaudits except from ignorant cunts like you

You’re a lone voice now mate so change the record and stop being such a miserable boring churlish cunt

Long live King Sissoko!!!

Lets start with the selections as there was much discussion about the omissions of Eriksen and Son for this one. As far as Son goes it's moot, he's been disappointing far more often than he's been great the last few months, and he's also been through a WC and Asian Games with no rest, so Ive got no issue with Moura coming in for him. Normally you'd want Eriksen out there for every game possible, as we are just a much better team with him than without him, but I think he's been flogged to death most seasons because of his importance, and I think he now has this stomach issue that's got to be managed. I understand why he was given some rest.

We started the more pro-active team, but given that this was must win for us, and the nature of both sides, that's hardly a surprise, however, this was a much more sedate affair than the intense mauling of Chelsea at the weekend. Part of that was the tactical approach from both sides. Inter weren't going to come with the high line and pro-active intentions of Chelsea, they were far more pragmatic, and for our part, we were much intense. I don't think the 423, or the personnel in it, were quite as good a blend as Saturday either. Good intentions were there, and we did try to do the right things first half, but it was all a little bit flat and got flatter as the game wore on.

I think the second half we were actually pretty poor, and the stats bare this out, we completed 100 less passes than in the first half, possession swung from 55% first half to 46.7 second, and where there were half chances and situations first half, I can barely remember too many sniffs of chances second half. And this wasn't just about a bus park of Inter, we just didn't have the control in midfield that we'd had at the weekend. I don't think Winks and Sissoko as a double pivot CM2 was great. Winks tried hard to get things moving and made more passes than anyone in our team ahead of the CB's 50/54 92% (highest) but he faded second half going from 36 passes to 14 - and game winning surge aside - Sissoko was very insipid, and went from a pretty meh 24 passes first half to 12 second half. And there's no defensive mitigation here ether, because he was terrible second half, there was a moment where his touch let him down, he gave the ball away with everyone - including Aurier upfield, and then just stood and watched as Perisic (who had been standing next to him) charged up the pitch alone in acres of space, it was Inter's most threatening break to that point, and if Icardi had seen Persic it could have been worse. There was just no drive, control or tempo coming from our midfield (both). And there's no defensive mitigation for Sissoko either tonight, he was really lethargic, made no tackles (Winks 2) at all.

Sissoko was lucky not to get hooked when Poch threw the subs on, but it was lucky he wasn't as he then went on one of those surges, powering past a couple of Inter players, then getting his head up, picking out Alli, who deftly fed Eriksen, who provided the finish. For me, if he's going to be on that pitch this is where he should be, especially as an impact sub, in that outside right channel front right of a 433, powering at tired legs, where he was pushed into when the changes were made. This kind of role is how he made his name at Toulouse and where he was more effective for Newcastle. Yes he can play RM in the central CM3, but I think we have better options for that role most weeks, but he could provide the kind of chaos Mané does at Liverpool in that more forward role IMO. Not as a deeper metronome.

It's hard to pick anyone out on the 90 minutes as standout performer. Sissoko definitely provided the games most inspirational moment, but was pretty turgid otherwise. Winks was livelier but was still also pretty insipid, especially second half. Alli didn't quite manage to fulfil the void left by Eriksen, but was one of the few who was consistently involved throughout the 90 and was once again involved in the goal. Moura and Lamela were both fucking disappointing. Kane is actually looking like proper Kane again, hustle and threat. Normally I hate his trying to dribble, but his first half dribble was one of the best of his Ive seen, glided past players before unleashing. But this was one of those games where he struggled to wade through the treacle of Inter's discipline.

Both FB's were generally solid, saw lots of the ball in midfield areas, but neither really contributed much offensively. Both CB's were good.

This result was more about the ethos of Poch, that way this Spurs team isn't Spursy. Needed a win, 10 minutes left against a dogged Inter, Pochettino's Spurs found it.

Individual

Lloris - one horrible Lloris moment when he compounded a poor back pass from Winks by giving it straight to them. Otherwise OK, and one great save lat on.

Aurier - Solid enough.

TA - Good game

JV - Good game.

Davies - Like Aurier, solid enough and saw almost identical amounts of ball. Neither really gave us much of offensive quality.

Winks - Was a bit more involved than Sissoko, with and without the ball, but was pretty insipid and faded second half.

Alli - Was involved throughout but it was mostly quite inconsequential stuff, but was cool in the moment that mattered.

Moura - pffttt...

Kane - Definitely looking like real slim Kanie again. Aggresion, hustle, I don't mind him having the odd blank when he's at least hauling ass.

Subs - I guess this was a game where they were likely to prove as important as those that started. And they did. All did decent little jobs when they came on, with Eriksen finishing cooly for the win.

Poch - Not been a bad week for Che Poch. Just you think you're out, he drags you back into the revolution.

Last edited:
Sissoko was excellent. You commend him on the run for the goal but don't mention the even better one in the first half to set up Lucas' chance.

I smell agenda.

And before you come back at me about the Sissoko love-in. I've wanted him sold the last 2 windows.

Sissoko was lucky not to get hooked when the Poch threw the subs on, but it was lucky he wasn't as he then went on one of those surges, powering past a couple of Inter players, then getting his head up, picking out Alli, who deftly fed Eriksen, who provided the finish. For me, if he's going to be on that pitch this is where he should be, especially as an impact sub, in that outside right channel front right of a 433, powering at tired legs, where he was pushed into when the changes were made. This kind of role is how he made his name at Toulouse and where he was more effective for Newcastle. Yes he can play RM in the central CM3, but I think we have better options for that role most weeks, but he could provide the kind of chaos Mané does at Liverpool in that more forward role IMO. Not as a deeper metronome.

Both FB's were generally solid, saw lots of the ball in midfield areas, but neither really contributed much offensively.

This result was more about the ethos of Poch, that way this Spurs team isn't Spursy. Needed a win, 10 minutes left against a dogged Inter, Pochettino's Spurs found it. And Sissoko is probably the embodiment of that spirit right now, so just to give Bazali Bazali and Co the excuse to suck each off, I'm giving it him.

Individual

Aurier - Solid enough.

TA - Good game

JV - Good game.

Moura - pffttt...

What a waste of your morning

Brilliant for the goal.Superb little turn in the first half(so that was in the first 80 mins for a start), a very very good game.
And i was one of his biggest critics on here,though not spiteful.
He gets my MOTM
He has been a beast the last two games and very good for a few before that.
A new song for the fella methinks.

What a load of shit, it’s not often that I like to join in when I see someone getting stick on here. . .

But you are a special kind of cunt fiddler. Sissoko was brilliant apart from that one moment where he lost the ball and that is bound to happen occasionally when Poch asks him to take risks in transition. His covering runs, defensive positioning, passing, bursts forward and most of all his reading of the game were all top notch.

I was at the game and paid special attention to him, he was awesome. It’s also clear to see how pleased Poch is with Him and he wouldn’t be pleased if Sissoko was poor.

I actually don’t think you believe half of what you write, you just do it for the attention.

Mate, I think you are dwelling on the completion percentage and ignoring the bigger issue, that neither of our CM's got on the ball enough.

I'm not sure and I'm not going to look through 10 other players, but Winks only made two more in the second half for example. Neither were good. And I did point out that it was a team issue, we completed 100 less passes second half - as a team. But the midfield drives the team, and ours didn't that second half. Sissoko, whatever he is, is not a metronomic passer. Winks can be but I think he ended up doing too much of the running back and fetching last night, which isn't his forte either. Eriksen is a massive miss to us - he is that 8/10 hybrid who sees the ball 60-70 times a game and connects the dots together, especially the midfield to the attack.

No he isn't ignoring anything ... you are stupidly, or deliberately, missing the point that Poch made two very clear tactical changes in the second half ... both of which impacted Moussa's passing statistics ...

The first change was to push Lucas, and Son when he came on, further forward and transition the ball back to front a bit quicker ...

So let's explain tactically what that means: the back two Toby and Jan started hitting longer diagonals, the midfield now reduced from three to two drop into a more defensive role and are tasked with quickly recycling the ball ... what this means from a passing statistic is that the midfield two Winks and Moussa see far less of the ball for the first twenty-five minutes of the second half ... it must be said this tactic wasn't all that effective in creating chances, but it was very effective in running the energy out of the Inter defence .... Lucas and Erik ran their legs off knowing they would be coming off with 20 minutes to go ...

The second tactical change was to bring on Eriksen, leaving just Winks as a holding defender with Eriksen, Moussa and Dele all given freedom to roam forward supporting Son and Harry ... in effect switching to a 4-1-3-2 ...

So again let's explain tactically what that means, the defence (which now includes Winks as a CDM) recycle the ball primarily to Eriksen, he looks to play in any of the four attacking players now on the field, this means Eriksen now sees the majority of the ball, 12 passes in 20 minutes 100% to Spurs players (and a goal !!!!) With Eriksen as the midfield lynch-pin Moussa, Dele, Kane and Son all individually see very little of the ball as they are focused on creating space and running the legs of defenders ...

This is what's called a tactical analysis, of course I might have read it all wrong but only Poch and the squad would know that, your 'neither were good' or 'not his forte' isn't a tactical analysis it's just your subjective opinion ...

Poch set the team out to attack through the centre, the back four played as a back four not wing backs, the midfield stayed central and unlike in the Chelsea game we did not attempt to go 'wide' a tactic we've learnt doesn't work against well drilled Italian defences ...

All the changes made during the game were to reinforce this strategy, whilst the personnel changed with substitutions the tactic of one-two passes attacking through the centre remained ... it was master piece of management ... and thankfully it all worked ... I'm just sorry you can't see that ...

But both our CMs saw little of the ball does that maybe not suggest that there job maybe wasn't to receyle possession but instead to give inter very little time on the ball? As stated both the CM duo of Inter had shocking stats doesn't that suggest maybe it was a tight midfield battle that our two came out on top off? Again your picking and choosing stats that suit your agenda and that's the problem with stats you can make the say whatever you want.

All I know and the other 99% of the footballing world know is that Moussa and Winks had a fine game.
Exactly. Almost everyone has given Sissoko Motm, not just in spurs forums, but everywhere.

This guy's obsession with a high number of passes is strange. Most of the time Sissoko would just pass the ball forward and let the front guys do their bit. Why would we not want the likes of Eriksen, Alli and Kane on the ball more? Of course we could have wasted time and played tikitaka and collected a large number of passes but thats not going to get a goal, one which we desperately needed to still be in the comp.

There are games where we had players with passes in the 70s and 80s where we have been destroyed. If opposition presses you midfield effectively, then our CMs have to pass backwards to CBs or sideways to full backs, then they pass the ball to our cms to move it forward again, who fail to do so and send it backwards again and then receive it again and again. This results in very high number of passes. Who gives a shit about high number of passes? Only fucking idiots do. What is the point of celebrating that nonsese over effective passes that result in goalscoring opportunities? Sissoko created goalscoring opportunities while playing mainly behind the front 4. That is more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom