Mousa Sissoko Team v Inter (h) CL 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Slowly slowly catch monkey

Lets start with the selections as there was much discussion about the omissions of Eriksen and Son for this one. As far as Son goes it's moot, he's been disappointing far more often than he's been great the last few months, and he's also been through a WC and Asian Games with no rest, so Ive got no issue with Moura coming in for him. Normally you'd want Eriksen out there for every game possible, as we are just a much better team with him than without him, but I think he's been flogged to death most seasons because of his importance, and I think he now has this stomach issue that's got to be managed. I understand why he was given some rest.

We started the more pro-active team, but given that this was must win for us, and the nature of both sides, that's hardly a surprise, however, this was a much more sedate affair than the intense mauling of Chelsea at the weekend. Part of that was the tactical approach from both sides. Inter weren't going to come with the high line and pro-active intentions of Chelsea, they were far more pragmatic, and for our part, we were much intense. I don't think the 423, or the personnel in it, were quite as good a blend as Saturday either. Good intentions were there, and we did try to do the right things first half, but it was all a little bit flat and got flatter as the game wore on.

I think the second half we were actually pretty poor, and the stats bare this out, we completed 100 less passes than in the first half, possession swung from 55% first half to 46.7 second, and where there were half chances and situations first half, I can barely remember too many sniffs of chances second half. And this wasn't just about a bus park of Inter, we just didn't have the control in midfield that we'd had at the weekend. I don't think Winks and Sissoko as a double pivot CM2 was great. Winks tried hard to get things moving and made more passes than anyone in our team ahead of the CB's 50/54 92% (highest) but he faded second half going from 36 passes to 14 - and game winning surge aside - Sissoko was very insipid, and went from a pretty meh 24 passes first half to 12 second half. And there's no defensive mitigation here ether, because he was terrible second half, there was a moment where his touch let him down, he gave the ball away with everyone - including Aurier upfield, and then just stood and watched as Perisic (who had been standing next to him) charged up the pitch alone in acres of space, it was Inter's most threatening break to that point, and if Icardi had seen Persic it could have been worse. There was just no drive, control or tempo coming from our midfield (both). And there's no defensive mitigation for Sissoko either tonight, he was really lethargic, made no tackles (Winks 2) at all.

Sissoko was lucky not to get hooked when Poch threw the subs on, but it was lucky he wasn't as he then went on one of those surges, powering past a couple of Inter players, then getting his head up, picking out Alli, who deftly fed Eriksen, who provided the finish. For me, if he's going to be on that pitch this is where he should be, especially as an impact sub, in that outside right channel front right of a 433, powering at tired legs, where he was pushed into when the changes were made. This kind of role is how he made his name at Toulouse and where he was more effective for Newcastle. Yes he can play RM in the central CM3, but I think we have better options for that role most weeks, but he could provide the kind of chaos Mané does at Liverpool in that more forward role IMO. Not as a deeper metronome.

It's hard to pick anyone out on the 90 minutes as standout performer. Sissoko definitely provided the games most inspirational moment, but was pretty turgid otherwise. Winks was livelier but was still also pretty insipid, especially second half. Alli didn't quite manage to fulfil the void left by Eriksen, but was one of the few who was consistently involved throughout the 90 and was once again involved in the goal. Moura and Lamela were both fucking disappointing. Kane is actually looking like proper Kane again, hustle and threat. Normally I hate his trying to dribble, but his first half dribble was one of the best of his Ive seen, glided past players before unleashing. But this was one of those games where he struggled to wade through the treacle of Inter's discipline.

Both FB's were generally solid, saw lots of the ball in midfield areas, but neither really contributed much offensively. Both CB's were good.

This result was more about the ethos of Poch, that way this Spurs team isn't Spursy. Needed a win, 10 minutes left against a dogged Inter, Pochettino's Spurs found it.

Individual

Lloris - one horrible Lloris moment when he compounded a poor back pass from Winks by giving it straight to them. Otherwise OK, and one great save lat on.

Aurier - Solid enough.

TA - Good game

JV - Good game.

Davies - Like Aurier, solid enough and saw almost identical amounts of ball. Neither really gave us much of offensive quality.

Winks - Was a bit more involved than Sissoko, with and without the ball, but was pretty insipid and faded second half.

Sissoko - Was poor up until the 80th minute, then he picked up the ball, powered past a couple of players, got his head up, played the right pass which led to the goal. It was a great contribution in an otherwise pretty grim performance, especially second half.

Lamela - Eratic and clumsy, not great.

Alli - Was involved throughout but it was mostly quite inconsequential stuff, but was cool in the moment that mattered.

Moura - pffttt...

Kane - Definitely looking like real slim Kanie again. Aggresion, hustle, I don't mind him having the odd blank when he's at least hauling ass.

Subs - I guess this was a game where they were likely to prove as important as those that started. And they did. All did decent little jobs when they came on, with Eriksen finishing cooly for the win.

Poch - Not been a bad week for Che Poch. Just you think you're out, he drags you back into the revolution.

Last edited:
I'll go with Jan, very solid performance, especially taking into consideration that his last minutes were in September (!). Big boost to have him back at the heart of our defence.

Obviously Winks, Sissoko and Kane were having good games as well.

Last edited:
bus-conductor bus-conductor
Sissoko - Was poor up until the 80th minute, then he picked up the ball, powered past a couple of players, got his head up, played the right pass which led to the goal. It was a great contribution in an otherwise pretty grim performance, especially second half.

Your blinkered hatred of Sissoko is very boring now, you realise that don't you?

Lets start with the selections as there was much discussion about the omissions of Eriksen and Son for this one. As far as Son goes it's moot, he's been disappointing far more often than he's been great the last few months, and he's also been through a WC and Asian Games with no rest, so Ive got no issue with Moura coming in for him. Normally you'd want Eriksen out there for every game possible, as we are just a much better team with him than without him, but I think he's been flogged to death most seasons because of his importance, and I think he now has this stomach issue that's got to be managed. I understand why he was given some rest.

We started the more pro-active team, but given that this was must win for us, and the nature of both sides, that's hardly a surprise, however, this was a much more sedate affair than the intense mauling of Chelsea at the weekend. Part of that was the tactical approach from both sides. Inter weren't going to come with the high line and pro-active intentions of Chelsea, they were far more pragmatic, and for our part, we were much intense. I don't think the 423, or the personnel in it, were quite as good a blend as Saturday either. Good intentions were there, and we did try to do the right things first half, but it was all a little bit flat and got flatter as the game wore on.

I think the second half we were actually pretty poor, and the stats bare this out, we completed 100 less passes than in the first half, possession swung from 55% first half to 46.7 second, and where there were half chances and situations first half, I can barely remember too many sniffs of chances second half. And this wasn't just about a bus park of Inter, we just didn't have the control in midfield that we'd had at the weekend. I don't think Winks and Sissoko as a double pivot CM2 was great. Winks tried hard to get things moving and made more passes than anyone in our team ahead of the CB's 50/54 92% (highest) but he faded second half going from 36 passes to 14 - and game winning surge aside - Sissoko was very insipid, and went from a pretty meh 24 passes first half to 12 second half. And there's no defensive mitigation here ether, because he was terrible second half, there was a moment where his touch let him down, he gave the ball away with everyone - including Aurier upfield, and then just stood and watched as Perisic (who had been standing next to him) charged up the pitch alone in acres of space, it was Inter's most threatening break to that point, and if Icardi had seen Persic it could have been worse. There was just no drive, control or tempo coming from our midfield (both). And there's no defensive mitigation for Sissoko either tonight, he was really lethargic, made no tackles (Winks 2) at all.

Sissoko was lucky not to get hooked when the Poch threw the subs on, but it was lucky he wasn't as he then went on one of those surges, powering past a couple of Inter players, then getting his head up, picking out Alli, who deftly fed Eriksen, who provided the finish. For me, if he's going to be on that pitch this is where he should be, especially as an impact sub, in that outside right channel front right of a 433, powering at tired legs, where he was pushed into when the changes were made. This kind of role is how he made his name at Toulouse and where he was more effective for Newcastle. Yes he can play RM in the central CM3, but I think we have better options for that role most weeks, but he could provide the kind of chaos Mané does at Liverpool in that more forward role IMO. Not as a deeper metronome.

It's hard to pick anyone out on the 90 minutes as standout performer. Sissoko definitely provided the games most inspirational moment, but was pretty turgid otherwise. Winks was livelier but was still also pretty insipid, especially second half. Alli didn't quite manage to fulfil the void left by Eriksen, but was one of the few who was consistently involved throughout the 90 and was once again involved in the goal. Moura and Lamela were both fucking disappointing. Kane is actually looking like proper Kane again, hustle and threat. Normally I hate his trying to dribble, but his first half dribble was one of the best of his Ive seen, glided past players before unleashing. But this was one of those games where he struggled to wade through the treacle of Inter's discipline.

Both FB's were generally solid, saw lots of the ball in midfield areas, but neither really contributed much offensively.

This result was more about the ethos of Poch, that way this Spurs team isn't Spursy. Needed a win, 10 minutes left against a dogged Inter, Pochettino's Spurs found it. And Sissoko is probably the embodiment of that spirit right now, so just to give Bazali Bazali and Co the excuse to suck each off, I'm giving it him.

Individual

Lloris - one horrible Lloris moment when he compounded a poor back pass from Winks by giving it straight to them. Otherwise OK, and one great save lat on.

Aurier - Solid enough.

TA - Good game

JV - Good game.

Davies - Like Aurier, solid enough and saw almost identical amounts of ball. Neither really gave us much of offensive quality.

Winks - Was a bit more involved than Sissoko, with and without the ball, but was pretty insipid and faded second half.

Alli - Was involved throughout but it was mostly quite inconsequential stuff, but was cool in the moment that mattered.

Moura - pffttt...

Kane - Definitely looking like real slim Kanie again. Aggresion, hustle, I don't mind him having the odd blank when he's at least hauling ass.

Subs - I guess this was a game where they were likely to prove as important as those that started. And they did. All did decent little jobs when they came on, with Eriksen finishing cooly for the win.

Poch - Not been a bad week for Che Poch. Just you think you're out, he drags you back into the revolution.
You have way too much time in your hands. Go get a life or something.

Was we watching the same game Sissoko was again arguably our best player busy all game strong in the middle kept the ball moving and ofc that run. Overall we were great in spells no one really had a poor game just frustrating we left it late despite being the better team, but is it really spurs if we don't make the fans sweat

Last edited:
Was we watching the same game Sissoko was again arguably out best player busy all game strong in the middle kept the ball moving and ofc that run. Overall we were great in spells no one really had a poor game just frustrating we left it itte despite being the better team, but is it really spurs if we don't make the fans sweat

But he didn't keep the ball moving. That's the point. I even gave you the number. He attempted 14 passes in the last 48 minutes and completed 12 of them. That's pretty abysmal by any standards and one of the reasons we created virtually nothing all half.

But he didn't keep the ball moving. That's the point. I even gave you the number. He attempted 14 passes in the last 48 minutes and completed 12 of them. That's pretty abysmal by any standards and one of the reasons we created virtually nothing all half.

How much yardage did he cover tackles and interceptions? You can't say he had a bad game other then one run its simply not true

How much yardage did he cover tackles and interceptions? You can't say he had a bad game other then ones run its simply not true
I read that Sissoko had a negative expected key pass left half space channel percentage which was statistically 0.1924 below the average for pisces and scorpions above 5ft 8" who play ball sports (not including bowling).

But that's just myopic bollocks isn't it .... you show zero understanding of the tactical switch Poch made ...

In the first half only Toby and Winks completed more passes than Sissoko ... and before the substitutions in the second half, it was only Winks who had completed more passes than Sissoko ....

Even after 90 minutes Moussa still had made 40 passes with a 90% completion rate ... that's compared to 46 at 84% versus Chelsea, a game where Poch didn't make a tactical switch for the last twenty minutes ...

Once the Eriksen substitution was made with 20 minutes to go, Eriksen took over the midfield passing role (he's quite good at that) and Sissoko pushed way further forward into an AM role, he started driving at the Inter defence knowing he had both Winks and Eriksen behind him ...

and guess what? That tactical change created the winning goal .... who knew ....

You are a clueless football illiterate, I used to consider your post match reviews as just incredibly negative and biased against certain players ... now I realise you simply have no feckin' idea what you are talking about .....

Sissoko played a fine 70 minutes as a holding CM, he was then inspirational in the last twenty as an AM, creating our winning goal ... so what's not to like?

What next? Hugo doesn't score enough? Dele is a shit left back? why don't we start with 12 players?

But that's just myopic bollocks isn't it .... you show zero understanding of the tactical switch Poch made ...

In the first half only Toby and Winks completed more passes than Sissoko ... and before the substitutions in the second half, it was only Winks who had completed more passes than Sissoko ....

Even after 90 minutes Moussa still had made 40 passes with a 90% completion rate ... that's compared to 46 at 84% versus Chelsea, a game where Poch didn't make a tactical switch for the last twenty minutes ...

Once the Eriksen substitution was made with 20 minutes to go, Eriksen took over the midfield passing role (he's quite good at that) and Sissoko pushed way further forward into an AM role, he started driving at the Inter defence knowing he had both Winks and Eriksen behind him ...

and guess what? That tactical change created the winning goal .... who knew ....

You are a clueless football illiterate, I used to consider your post match reviews as just incredibly negative and biased against certain players ... now I realise you simply have no feckin' idea what you are talking about .....

Sissoko played a fine 70 minutes as a holding CM, he was then inspirational in the last twenty as an AM, creating our winning goal ... so what's not to like?

What next? Hugo doesn't score enough? Dele is a shit left back? why don't we start with 12 players?

Thanks, you make my point for me. He made even less passes against an inferior opposition tonight than he did against a superior Chelsea. Which is why I called that a decent performance, because he also did a lot more without the ball. And he didn’t make 40, he made 36. He tried 40.

That’s a bit like when you tried to bullshit everyone that Sissoko had the highest pass completion rate at the club this season isn’t it, then I checked and it turned out it was 8th.

And he also faded second half against Chelsea and was also pushed up after a sub was made.

And for the record, even Henry Winter in the times said this wasn’t one of Sissoko’s better games.

Maybe it’s you who needs to get his head out of his arse and watch games properly.

Sissoko was excellent. You commend him on the run for the goal but don't mention the even better one in the first half to set up Lucas' chance.

I smell agenda.

And before you come back at me about the Sissoko love-in. I've wanted him sold the last 2 windows.

Thanks, you make my point for me. He made even less passes against an inferior opposition tonight than he did against a superior Chelsea. Which is why I called that a decent performance, because he also did a lot more without the ball. And he didn’t make 40, he made 36. He tried 40.

We've tried to educate you, far more patient posters than me have attempted to point our your stupidity ... but you're just too fixated with your preconceptions to even listen ... Sissoko was shit, Poch was lucky, and as always Blakey knows best ... just listen to yourself ...

Chelsea were superior to Inter Milan?
Do you even watch the games? On Saturday versus a very ragged, undisciplined Chelsea defense we could and should have had scored 5 or 6, yet tonight against a very well drilled, disciplined Inter Milan we had to fight hard for just our one goal, so what's the informed view of the all knowing Blakey? Chelsea were superior ... what a complete feckwit ...

Sorry but everything you post is now agenda driven bullshit .... you no longer recognise, or even give any consideration to tactics, you lack any appreciation of talent, and it seems you have no love for all things Spurs ...

Why are you even here?

I read that Sissoko had a negative expected key pass left half space channel percentage which was statistically 0.1924 below the average for pisces and scorpions above 5ft 8" who play ball sports (not including bowling).
Was about to post the exact same thing.

Fucking idiotic to say he was poor for 80 mins and made just one good run.

You’re a complete fuckwit bus-conductor

One comment sums you up about Sissoko
“Apart from his contribution to the goal his performance was pretty turgid”
“Grim”
Etc

You’re a boring sad cunt with clearly no life and an extremely limited knowledge of the game

Your agenda also tells me that you’re not even Spurs so bore off

Bin vote administered

Get a life somewhere else

Sissoko was lucky not to get hooked when the Poch threw the subs on, but it was lucky he wasn't as he then went on one of those surges, powering past a couple of Inter players, then getting his head up, picking out Alli, who deftly fed Eriksen, who provided the finish. For me, if he's going to be on that pitch this is where he should be, especially as an impact sub, in that outside right channel front right of a 433, powering at tired legs, where he was pushed into when the changes were made. This kind of role is how he made his name at Toulouse and where he was more effective for Newcastle. Yes he can play RM in the central CM3, but I think we have better options for that role most weeks, but he could provide the kind of chaos Mané does at Liverpool in that more forward role IMO. Not as a deeper metronome.

Both FB's were generally solid, saw lots of the ball in midfield areas, but neither really contributed much offensively.

This result was more about the ethos of Poch, that way this Spurs team isn't Spursy. Needed a win, 10 minutes left against a dogged Inter, Pochettino's Spurs found it. And Sissoko is probably the embodiment of that spirit right now, so just to give Bazali Bazali and Co the excuse to suck each off, I'm giving it him.

Individual

Aurier - Solid enough.

TA - Good game

JV - Good game.

Moura - pffttt...

What a waste of your morning

Brilliant for the goal.Superb little turn in the first half(so that was in the first 80 mins for a start), a very very good game.
And i was one of his biggest critics on here,though not spiteful.
He gets my MOTM
He has been a beast the last two games and very good for a few before that.
A new song for the fella methinks.

No one angry that I criticised Winks as insipid, Lamela as erratic and clumsy, Moura as pffft, Alli as inconsequential ?

Bazali Bazali
If even the chief sports writer of The Times is saying it’s not one of his (Sissoko) better games, could it possibly be the agenda-ometer is leaning more your way than mine?

I did forget to “credit” Sissoko with his run in the first half, butI also chose not to mention the time in the first half when their guy walked past him and bore down on our box, it was one of their few dangerous moments in the first half, or the time in the second half when he just ambled over and allowed Perisic to get a cross in.

I also didn’t “itemise” or”credit” Winks great run, his shot that hit the bar, or anyone else’s “good moments” but it seems it’s only a crime if we don’t itemise every single piece (2) of Sissoko’s work whilst looking away when he fucks up.

Come on Bazza, I even named the thread after him. Lighten up. I’m wondering if you’re actually a Spurs fan, or just a member of the The cult of Sissoko.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom