Mousa Dembélé

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And herein lies the Dembele conundrum.
That's the point I am trying to make. He's a striker.
His natural game, when he was scoring at AZ, was to get the ball run, dribble and shoot.
He also played alongside someone else up front.
He cannot find the pass because that's not his game really. He needs to be direct. He seems to struggle to know what to do with the ball after he skips past a few players and finds himself nowhere near goal.

mute it FFS.

That's the point I am trying to make. He's a striker.
His natural game, when he was scoring at AZ, was to get the ball run, dribble and shoot.
He also played alongside someone else up front.
He cannot find the pass because that's not his game really. He needs to be direct. He seems to struggle to know what to do with the ball after he skips past a few players and finds himself nowhere near goal.

mute it FFS.

So that's cover for Harry sorted, then!™

Boys will be boys. I don't think you could talk Moussa and Jan out of doing this, somehow.
I don't think talking them out of it is the point, this is something the club/sponsors have set up.

The things players aren't allowed to do for insurance purposes is crazy (hence the reason they all play golf) so having them do this is just ridiculous.

I don't think talking them out of it is the point, this is something the club/sponsors have set up.

The things players aren't allowed to do for insurance purposes is crazy (hence the reason they all play golf) so having them do this is just ridiculous.

Dembele held his own but still got mowed down. Jan on the other hand, I think he needs to get checked for whiplash the way he went down. :levywtf:

After tonight I'm pretty sure that I've just seen the worst of Moussa.
He spent much of his possession influencing play on the right flank when he should have been doing the same on the opposite flank.
Dier allowed him to usurp his (Dier's) role and Davies was left, especially in the first half, ignored in acres of attacking space.
After Saturday's performance I have to wonder if Moussa really has it in him to perform the role his coach asks of him...

He and Dier just didn't click. Which is a shame as I thought they'd suit eachother. Dier was the one who was forward thinking, always willing to get the ball forward and even showed more initiative as central midfielder. Considering he was the defensive midfielder, that's not good enough.

It's why Mason and Alli have excelled next to Dier because they're willing to get forward. I think it's going to be Dembele OR Dier in central midfield and he's shown to be a very good back up (Against Liverpool)

I actually thought he played pretty well today, won the ball well and took it past players... Didnt have a lot of options to aim for though so ended up slowing things down

He has the technique, flair and composure of an exceptionally world class talent but a brain of an amateur footballer.:avbshit:

What a player he could have been had he 30% of De Bruyne's footballing brain:gallashmm:

He and Dier just didn't click. Which is a shame as I thought they'd suit eachother. Dier was the one who was forward thinking, always willing to get the ball forward and even showed more initiative as central midfielder. Considering he was the defensive midfielder, that's not good enough.

It's why Mason and Alli have excelled next to Dier because they're willing to get forward. I think it's going to be Dembele OR Dier in central midfield and he's shown to be a very good back up (Against Liverpool)

Since Liverpool I've been saying that playing those two next to each other would probably be a bad idea. The issue is that when you're in a double pivot you need to have a player really good at distributing while the other breaks up the attack. Both Dembele and Dier are very good at being the DM, but neither is fantastic when it comes to any sort of difficult distribution. I said beforehand that I would have preferred to see Carroll next to Dier, and I still stand by that statement. I think that if you're going to play Dembele you don't play Dier and vice versa.

I actually thought he played pretty well today, won the ball well and took it past players... Didnt have a lot of options to aim for though so ended up slowing things down

Exactly which is why Clint isn't yet ready to lead the line.

Never thought of Moose leading the line tho

He's physical enough!

He's taking his chance with both hands at the moment.

Be surprised/disappointed if Poch drops him with Mason coming back to fitness. That will truly show he is only a backup player and has no future in our first team.

He's taking his chance with both hands at the moment.

Be surprised/disappointed if Poch drops him with Mason coming back to fitness. That will truly show he is only a backup player and has no future in our first team.

I expect Mason to come in for Alli. I've been so impressed with the latter this season, but he's very young and looks a bit tired at the moment.

I expect Mason to come in for Alli. I've been so impressed with the latter this season, but he's very young and looks a bit tired at the moment.
Looked a bit lack lustre yesterday. especially when he broke and had a chance at a shot, the run was like he was stuck in mud and the shot was tame to say the least. Still it resulted in what could have been an eriksen stunner. I think Eriksen is better at hitting the woodwork than the net!

Looked a bit lack lustre yesterday. especially when he broke and had a chance at a shot, the run was like he was stuck in mud and the shot was tame to say the least. Still it resulted in what could have been an eriksen stunner. I think Eriksen is better at hitting the woodwork than the net!

I'm almost losing count of how many times he's hit the woodwork with wonder strikes.... QPR away, Hull away, QPR home, City home and now this one.. Probably a few more.

Moussa's still a conundrum in my book.
I think the problem is that he doesn't really fit into a 4-2-3-1...he's probably at his best in a formation where there are more than three AMFs.
I have to admit his 'defensive' performance against the bindippers surprised me...I didn't think he had it in him.
My personal preference is to see him up somewhere up front.
Speaking as a neutral he has enormous value as a utility player...it's just a question of whether or not he's prepared to accept that role.

Back
Top Bottom