Most Spurs-y possible final week?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can remember when we got a new manager - and we all used to hope that we made it into contention for any euro slot

We just got a new manager who followed a pretty successful manager (who, despite not being everyone's favourite flavour got some awesome results) who was sacked for not getting CL (and being a bit of a dick)

The new boy hits an all time PL points high and (maybe) misses out, with a side shorn of Modric, VDV, King, Kaboul and Sandro

Personally - I'd say this was a pretty fucking awesome season and sets a great basis for real progress

Over to you Levy, back him with some mint and lets see where we go......

I wonder what he would have achieved with Modric and VDV to choose from (plus I think we binned Pav too quick!)

Agreed with everything minus the Pav assesment. We got a decent amount of money for a 30 year-old striker who hasn't really done shit since he's been back in Russia.

did he go, or did we make him go?
i still remember articles about him wanting to retire at spurs and whatnot
:vdvcry:

AVB last summer: ‘If I let Rafa go it’s because I’ve allowed him to go. It’s not because someone is forcing me to.’

Van der Vaart last summer : ‘My place is at Spurs. I want to win the title at this club. The new coach has good plans for me.’

AVB last summer: ‘If I let Rafa go it’s because I’ve allowed him to go. It’s not because someone is forcing me to.’

Van der Vaart last summer : ‘My place is at Spurs. I want to win the title at this club. The new coach has good plans for me.’

oh and Sandro made 27 appearances last season, 27 this season.

VdV gave an interview recently where he suggested his 'position' was no longer guaranteed with the arrival of Sigurdsson and decided to make a move where he'd still be the main man (+ closer to his wife)

VdV gave an interview recently where he suggested his 'position' was no longer guaranteed with the arrival of Sigurdsson and decided to make a move where he'd still be the main man (+ closer to his wife)

I sort of remember that and have tried to find it without much luck.

Still it was AVB's decision to get rid of one of our star players (telling them to up their bid) when another had been sold and another retired.

I genuinely don't think we miss him, got subbed more often than not and was another player who shone in a system in which he was allowed more freedom.

Lovely player who scored some important goals but he wanted to move back to Germany to be closer to his missus. He loved it at Spurs but him and his missus seemed to be going through a rough patch which I presume resulted in how the relationship came to an end.

How many games did Sandro start last season and how many did he start this season?
23 and 22 in the league, 27 total for both. His injury has been the biggest factor for me. We went from free flowing and hard to break down to stop start and a bit leaky at the back. I just wish he could make it through a full season, the possibilities of what could happen scare and excite me in equal measure

23 and 22 in the league, 27 total for both. His injury has been the biggest factor for me. We went from free flowing and hard to break down to stop start and a bit leaky at the back. I just wish he could make it through a full season, the possibilities of what could happen scare and excite me in equal measure
he was a bit-part player last year with Modric and Parker the first-choice pairing, whereas this year he's started every game and is a more vital part of our side now. I'm surprised he started so many games last season.

I genuinely don't think we miss him, got subbed more often than not and was another player who shone in a system in which he was allowed more freedom.

Lovely player who scored some important goals but he wanted to move back to Germany to be closer to his missus. He loved it at Spurs but him and his missus seemed to be going through a rough patch which I presume resulted in how the relationship came to an end.

And had Modric stayed Bale would never have got his current role.

he was a bit-part player last year with Modric and Parker the first-choice pairing, whereas this year he's started every game and is a more vital part of our side now. I'm surprised he started so many games last season.

yeah there was an overlap in there somewhere between Parker being fit and then getting his injury, didn't reach 30 league games himself. I can't for the life of me remember where but then I've not been awake long and my obsession with doing my net checking before getting the shit out of my eyes never helps my long term memory

He played 1079 minutes last season, 1411 this season.

I sort of remember that and have tried to find it without much luck.

Still it was AVB's decision to get rid of one of our star players (telling them to up their bid) when another had been sold and another retired.

The player wanted to go and clearly wasn't prepared to fight for his place (thinking he has a divine right to be the main 'man) - why would AVB want to keep a rotten apple?

Here are quotes from the interview

Van der Vaart says he left Tottenham because of bad start with Villas Boas

Rafael Van der Vaart was always likely to return to Hamburg for the end of his career so him moving back to the Bundesliga was never really a surprise. That he went as soon as last summer and left Tottenham aged just 29 was perhaps a little more odd and when rumours first started about a return to Hamburg last summer, many Spurs fans laughed them off as press speculation.

Van der Vaart has spoken this week to Voetbal International (see left) about his transfer and why it was the right time to go, and he's explained that he just didn't feel a big enough part of the new Tottenham manager's plans. The comments from him may be slightly disingenuous because in Germany they'd been reporting a chance of him going to Hamburg even before Villas Boas took over. The gist at the time was that he wanted to be closer to his wife, but that hasn't proved to be a good thing for the couple who have now separated after a public fight.

"With Villas Boas I had a false start. While with HSV I just felt as though she really needed me... It was a club in need. And I wanted to help.
"During our first conversation (with AVB) he hinted that I had to fight for my place. That in itself is not a problem. I have enough confidence in my abilities. But until that time I was 'the guy' at The Spurs. The contrast with the way Villas-Boas saw it, it was just too big. The club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.
"In the same period HSV knocked at the door again. Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson, but then I had already made ​​my choice. About the club I have no evil words, the atmosphere was great, we had a good team, there is a club being built."
The Dutchman has had a good return with Hamburg but has been hampered by injury, something that has followed his career to a certain degree. Sigurdsson has been used primarily as a substitute and only started 6 Premier League games, but at 23 he has time to improve on that.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...e-left-tottenham-because-of-bad-start-with-vi

haha "rotten apple" indeed.

I imagine 12 months previous it would have been the manager "alienating" players?

Did you read the quotes from the player himself - posted those above?

Or is this about some pro-Arry circle jerk again

Did you read the quotes from the player himself?

Or is this about some pro-Arry circle jerk again?
everyone's entitled to say what they want, you don't get to criticise people for expressing an opinion, simply because its diametrically opposite to yours

strangely, not everyone is as impressed with your ability to google quotes up, as you obviously are.

or a slavishly in thrall of their accuracy

Agreed with everything minus the Pav assesment. We got a decent amount of money for a 30 year-old striker who hasn't really done shit since he's been back in Russia.
he wasn't a great player, but he would have given us an option in the mid season striker drought. He knew where the net was....

Back
Top Bottom