Micky van de Ven

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What a player. Exactly my type of defender. Never ever gives up and so full of aggression but the good kind.

My fear, though, is that the way we play means he's gonna get a fair few injuries...Angeball too often requires him to make them desperate sprints. Hopefully that improves as and when we get a proper beast at the 6. Think Vic needs to sweek keep a la Hugo a bit more too.

Someone said (it could of been someone on here) that at every club Ange has managed there has been a high number of hamstring issues in the first season in charge as players get up to speed with the Angeball system.

He has Kyle Walker pace and Ledley King level defending. That's a hell of a combination for a 22 year old. Only injuries could stop him from becoming and being one of the very best defenders in the world for years to come.
To borrow internet terminology, he's him.

Like you say, it's likely down to injuries (or lack thereof) that determine his career. I don't think I'm being hyperbolic when I say I think Micky could have Real Madrid etc knocking at the door one day.

Someone said (it could of been someone on here) that at every club Ange has managed there has been a high number of hamstring issues in the first season in charge as players get up to speed with the Angeball system.
Yeah I've heard the same thing a few different places. Hopefully it gets better next season, once the players get fully used to it. I think having a proper quality 6 will help relieve some of the pressure on Micky too, as will more squad rotation at the back.

My only hope that it wasn’t his hamstring was that apparently Dragusin was warming up intensely at half time. With Micky’s hamstring history I don’t think Ange sends the player out there if there is any doubt there may be a problem. He would have been subbed at half time.

Watching the motd analysis just highlighted how important he is to us.

My only hope that it wasn’t his hamstring was that apparently Dragusin was warming up intensely at half time. With Micky’s hamstring history I don’t think Ange sends the player out there if there is any doubt there may be a problem. He would have been subbed at half time.

He's maybe learnt what to look out for in terms of soreness in his hamstrings and told them at half time that he might need to come off early into the 2nd half - hence Dragusin warming up and not immediately coming on

He threw himself into a block moments before which was actually offside.

This late flag bollocks needs to fuck off.
I don't disagree, however yesterday would have happened before the instruction was changed.

There was only one or two seconds between the final pass in and VdV stretching to make the block. Even if the linesman had put his flag up immediately it wouldn't have prevented Micky's instinctive reaction.

It also help that we have a capable backup. He can rest players more easily knowing Dragusin is available so absolutely no need to take risks.

Will be a day off today, so the first time they'll assess anything will be tomorrow.

I would not have thought that they'd wait a day for assessments on an injury - surely any players that pick up injuries get them assessed right away.
(especially with the history VDV's previous hamstring injury)

He has Kyle Walker pace and Ledley King level defending. That's a hell of a combination for a 22 year old. Only injuries could stop him from becoming and being one of the very best defenders in the world for years to come.
I said as I was watching last night, we better hope we continue to evolve and reach what our potential feels like. Because this kid truly will be the best centre back in the world in years to come I think, provided injuries don't hurt him. Incredible signing.

Comms said knee, but he was holding his hammy.

He walked off ok though.

He threw himself into a block moments before which was actually offside.

This late flag bollocks needs to fuck off.

If it's blatantly offside, then yeah, I agree.
But anything that's close should play on IMO. Or else you'll have shit/bent lino's everywhere stopping attacks with over eager flags.
I mean, they still do it now and I can't get my head around how one minute they keep their flag down when a player is so far offside they're in a different postcode then the next, they whip it up when the players look level.
Corruption or lack of consistent application, but either way, it sucks.

I would not have thought that they'd wait a day for assessments on an injury - surely any players that pick up injuries get them assessed right away.
(especially with the history VDV's previous hamstring injury)

I think if there actually is an injury there will be swelling that stops that

any way.........the spurs medical team has a great record and definitely has got this.....

I said as I was watching last night, we better hope we continue to evolve and reach what our potential feels like. Because this kid truly will be the best centre back in the world in years to come I think, provided injuries don't hurt him. Incredible signing.
It's the same with Destiny I think people are not really appreciating how young and how good he is. I think Udogie will start getting goals soon and people will suddenly sit up. He could become really potent.

Back
Top Bottom