Micky van de Ven

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guy's a bit of a freak

F9xipIoWQAAecss

Monstrous 1 v 1

TL/DR? In short.... There's no golden rule and that includes recruiting by price-tag.

Sorry mate, I've got a feeling that you just want to fact check and argue a lot without any substantial point. With the two post I get wall of text but no carrying idea.

Mine was - VDV is good example of expensive player brought whose value could still continue rising.
Even if previously the big bets did not pay off.

I never said we have not brought expensive players before. Nor other things I feel you try to argue with.

All what you said is facutally true.
But on larger scale - what are you trying to say? or is that just arguing for arguing sake?

Cause well.. I personally had a feeling that after the mentioned Sanchez, Lo Celso, Reggie and Ndombellyfat, at some point there was almost like feeling that bargain hunting is "less risky" and we picked cheper option rather than not. And now VDV is proving that it is possible to make good purchases and potential profit from rather expensive (40+ mil) signings?

Also that backline with 3 players brought for 40+ mil is doing fairly well, ainnit? Which also supports what I said. At the same time, saying something like that is not that impressive, considering many of our competitors pouring money into 80+ mil defenders.
The issue I've had here for a while, is that too many think that a higher price tag = better player. Hence all the gnashing of teeth about "cheap options" when we get these players.

I've said repeatedly that it's not about how much they cost, it's ALL about suitability.

Now I can understand the angst over some of our previous buys that turned into duds, whether they were cheap or expensive, but that just reinforces my point really. Previous buys weren't really vetted properly for their suitability, it was more a case of "we need/want a player, he looks like he'd fit the bill." Now we vet them properly. Not just for their ability, but also for their character.

The thing to remember is that price tag is not necessarily an indicator of ability, and certainly not of suitability. You only have to look at Utd to see the truth of this.

I think the biggest issue with many of our fanbase, and with others, is the "keeping up with the Jones's" attitude. We're rich, so if we're not spending in line with our peers then we're not showing 'ambishun.'

Frankly, I much prefer smart buying to ambitious buying.

The issue I've had here for a while, is that too many think that a higher price tag = better player. Hence all the gnashing of teeth about "cheap options" when we get these players.

I've said repeatedly that it's not about how much they cost, it's ALL about suitability.

Now I can understand the angst over some of our previous buys that turned into duds, whether they were cheap or expensive, but that just reinforces my point really. Previous buys weren't really vetted properly for their suitability, it was more a case of "we need/want a player, he looks like he'd fit the bill." Now we vet them properly. Not just for their ability, but also for their character.

The thing to remember is that price tag is not necessarily an indicator of ability, and certainly not of suitability. You only have to look at Utd to see the truth of this.

I think the biggest issue with many of our fanbase, and with others, is the "keeping up with the Jones's" attitude. We're rich, so if we're not spending in line with our peers then we're not showing 'ambishun.'

Same to you.
Everything you say is true. But I see no conflict with my previous post.

Quite the opposite, my point as well was - "VDV case proves that some more expensive purchases can also be very good investments, when done properly (even if previous bigger purchases have not gone well)".

He has an unusual languid style which makes you think he's a bit of a bozo, but he's far from that, as well as being quick the guy can actually defend and play, he's an all rounder - quality player.

Im willing to bet that PL strikers come up against and think the same thing as well
He's top draw, can defend in wide areas too 1v1 and takes responsibility...reminds me about what Pep said about John Stones when he said he has "big balls". This lad has it in abundance.

Same to you.

Quite the opposite, my point as well was - "VDV case proves that some more expensive purchases can also be very good investments, when done properly (even if previous bigger purchases have not gone well)".

Someone else "arguing for the sake of it" too?

.........Or perhaps you're not aware that your initial post(s) come accross as if you're putting forward advice/wisdom that the club won't already be aware of; as if it's some form of meaningful 'rule of thumb' that can be followed. Whereas; just like I pointed out, these are purchases that we've been makaing all along and they are no less frought with potential pitfall.

Someone else "arguing for the sake of it" too?

.........Or perhaps you're not aware that your initial post(s) come accross as if you're putting forward advice/wisdom that the club won't already be aware of; as if it's some form of meaningful 'rule of thumb' that can be followed. Whereas; just like I pointed out, these are purchases that we've been makaing all along and they are no less frought with potential pitfall.
Nope.

What I'm saying is simple.

Yes. We were buying more expensive players before.
But this brought very weak returns. And Micky is example of more expensive and less known player could also be very profitable move.

In fact VDV IS first such example over very long period of time (fairly unknown player purchased for fairly high fee who has instantly increased his value).
Romero is only one who holds some similarities, BUT before joining us he -
- was voted Serie A best defender
- played for Juventus
- had played 5 games for Argentina
- during which he won Copa America AND was voted into Copa America team of the tournament

Bit different to VDV in regards of recognition to me.

And all others that you listed have either lost most of their value (Sanchez, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Regulion, Richie) or most likely roughly hold their value (Porro; if we were to sell him we'd most likely get our money back).

Nope.

What I'm saying is simple.

Yes. We were buying more expensive players before.
But this brought very weak returns. And Micky is example of more expensive and less known player could also be very profitable move.

In fact VDV IS first such example over very long period of time (fairly unknown player purchased for fairly high fee who has instantly increased his value).
Romero is only one who holds some similarities, BUT before joining us he -
- was voted Serie A best defender
- played for Juventus
- had played 5 games for Argentina
- during which he won Copa America AND was voted into Copa America team of the tournament

Bit different to VDV in regards of recognition to me.

And all others that you listed have either lost most of their value (Sanchez, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Regulion, Richie) or most likely roughly hold their value (Porro; if we were to sell him we'd most likely get our money back).
I'd say Porro, Biss and Bent (if he gets back to where he was) would also fit that description

Same to you.

I didn't post to conflict with either yours or fixx's posts, I was just adding my two penn'orth really.

I think that you, fixx and myself pretty much agree with what you are saying, we just see the same thing from a slightly different perspective.

Class defender, how we got him for that price is incredible.
We have two very good CBs in our ranks, probably still need another one in the summer, but well impressed so far.

I'd say Porro, Biss and Bent (if he gets back to where he was) would also fit that description
Porro has not grown in value, in fact I think if we would sell him now, we would not even get the 45 mil back.

Biss (contract running out + charges against him) and Benta (surplus to Juve requirements) were bargain deals. Successful, yes, but bargains.

Porro has not grown in value, in fact I think if we would sell him now, we would not even get the 45 mil back.

Biss (contract running out + charges against him) and Benta (surplus to Juve requirements) were bargain deals. Successful, yes, but bargains.
I think we would get more than £45m for Porro if we sold him now. Certainly if he plays the way he has for a few more months, I could imagine Real being willing to go well above that. Or Chelsea, when they realise cuck is no use!

We did get bargains on Biss and Bent yes. Fair point.

Back
Top Bottom