Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh yes - I remember the very sophisticated football being played in England in the 80s and 90s.

Sun Grow GIF by Mother Goose Club

You could care less? I guess the real question is could you care more?

Chill out. I was responding to his comment that Spurs were more “big time” before the takeover. PSG have been more successful at picking up major trophies since their founding which was 50 years ago.

I hate PSG so maybe let’s let it go…
I admit I'm increasingly grouchy at people (our own fans!!) Crapping on our team. Its been a long hard season. Some gooner is a hairs-breath from getting battered.

:mourbye:

You could care less? I guess the real question is could you care more?

Chill out. I was responding to his comment that Spurs were more “big time” before the takeover. PSG have been more successful at picking up major trophies since their founding which was 50 years ago.

I hate PSG so maybe let’s let it go…
By the way 'could care less/more' are both correct and are well established in axiomatic English. We have had this discussed at length.

I admit I'm increasingly grouchy at people (our own fans!!) Crapping on our team. Its been a long hard season. Some gooner is a hairs-breath from getting battered.

:mourbye:
I agrée with this. It has been a hard season and it is tiring hearing so much negativity about our team.

Sometimes it’s hard to tell whether people are spurs fans or rival fans based on what they say!

Oh yes - I remember the very sophisticated football being played in England in the 80s and 90s.
The English top flight has been a stronger and more prestigious competition than its French counterpart since time immemorial, there's no two ways about that. It was a closer thing between Heysel and the founding of the PL, but never a crossing of the paths.

And obviously part of the story here is that PSG simply has no history at all prior to 1970, it's a uniquely young club.

But as to the way its fans interact with it, for it to be the only major top flight club in a capital city that dominates its national scene the way Paris does and to have only two league titles at the time of the Qatar takeover speaks to its niche and "small time" if you like nature.

PSG was a social institution of young people at the sociocultural margins of Paris. Qatar made it a brand synonymous with its glittering elite. And as you well say, the French love a protest, and have a very different relationship with the concept of wealth, and of foreign stardom, than Londoners do.

Those are the tensions Messi is caught up in. It's not the source of fun and engagement and honor to have him at the club the way it would be if he were at Spurs. We'd cunt him off in every game thread the second he gave the ball away of course, but it's different.

There still both correct know matter which minor celebrity gets "cranky" .As I said you are very late to this party. Race over to the sandwich thread the triangle debate still live...😑

Idioms don’t care about logic

People might not have any thought of sarcasm, positive/negative phrase pairs, or implied comparison when they use “I could care less,” but when they use it, it’s as a set idiom, something they’ve heard before and learned as a unit. We have plenty of idioms that serve us perfectly well, despite the gaps in logic that appear if you look at them too closely. Consider “head over heels” (shouldn’t it be heels over head?) or “have your cake and eat it too?” (shouldn’t it be eat your cake and have it too?) or “the exception proves the rule” (shouldn’t it be the exception invalidates the rule?). There are reasons these idioms developed the way they did, but we don’t have to know anything about those reasons, or the original meanings, to use them perfectly sensibly. Same goes for “I could care less,” which people only ever use to mean “I couldn’t care less,” never the opposite. It doesn’t cause legitimate confusion, though it does cause quite a bit of consternation. In any case, it’s here to stay.

There still both correct know matter which minor celebrity gets "cranky" .As I said you are very late to this party. Race over to the sandwich thread the triangle debate still live...😑

Idioms don’t care about logic

People might not have any thought of sarcasm, positive/negative phrase pairs, or implied comparison when they use “I could care less,” but when they use it, it’s as a set idiom, something they’ve heard before and learned as a unit. We have plenty of idioms that serve us perfectly well, despite the gaps in logic that appear if you look at them too closely. Consider “head over heels” (shouldn’t it be heels over head?) or “have your cake and eat it too?” (shouldn’t it be eat your cake and have it too?) or “the exception proves the rule” (shouldn’t it be the exception invalidates the rule?). There are reasons these idioms developed the way they did, but we don’t have to know anything about those reasons, or the original meanings, to use them perfectly sensibly. Same goes for “I could care less,” which people only ever use to mean “I couldn’t care less,” never the opposite. It doesn’t cause legitimate confusion, though it does cause quite a bit of consternation. In any case, it’s here to stay.

You said it right there, use it it perfect sensibly, in other words in a way that makes sense. Could care less and couldn’t care less mean two completely different things.

The fans are french. We like to protest. Fans also went to Neymars house to shout at him… in the very nice suburb of bougival (where many impressionist painters would paint). The club has released a message to say it condemns the act of a minority of idiots. What else could they do? But Neymar and Messi are overpaid rubbish and should be sent back to Barcelona.

I don’t know how to describe fans of PSG. The club was formed from St Germain-en-Laye … an affluent suburb of Paris (with a castle). But football belongs to the people… the Parisian region is probably the finest producer of talent in the world. It’s definitely become a bit more bourgeois since the new ownership have come in. And a lot more popular. Historically the middle classes became interested in football when France did well… otherwise we prefer to insult our teams.

PSG were founded in 1972 and won 13 major trophies until their takeover in 2011 - less than 40 years. Tottenham have 17? In about 3 times as long. Since the takeover PSG have won a lot more of course… PSG are a bigger club than Tottenham.
You'll really defend anything as long is it's French won't you?

I can understand the urge, a bunch of English people on an English forum, we do tend to banter the French a lot.

However, there's not need to defend PSG. It's hardly remarkable that they win trophies in the French league. French teams have won 1 CL between them. Doesn't make PSG any more historic or "big".

The English top flight has been a stronger and more prestigious competition than its French counterpart since time immemorial, there's no two ways about that. It was a closer thing between Heysel and the founding of the PL, but never a crossing of the paths.

And obviously part of the story here is that PSG simply has no history at all prior to 1970, it's a uniquely young club.

But as to the way its fans interact with it, for it to be the only major top flight club in a capital city that dominates its national scene the way Paris does and to have only two league titles at the time of the Qatar takeover speaks to its niche and "small time" if you like nature.

PSG was a social institution of young people at the sociocultural margins of Paris. Qatar made it a brand synonymous with its glittering elite. And as you well say, the French love a protest, and have a very different relationship with the concept of wealth, and of foreign stardom, than Londoners do.

Those are the tensions Messi is caught up in. It's not the source of fun and engagement and honor to have him at the club the way it would be if he were at Spurs. We'd cunt him off in every game thread the second he gave the ball away of course, but it's different.

You'll really defend anything as long is it's French won't you?

I can understand the urge, a bunch of English people on an English forum, we do tend to banter the French a lot.

However, there's not need to defend PSG. It's hardly remarkable that they win trophies in the French league. French teams have won 1 CL between them. Doesn't make PSG any more historic or "big".
I enjoyed both of your posts. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom