Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was watching this the other day. 16 years old. He is ridiculously good. And tough as nails some of the tackles here wouldn't be allowed now.

My dad who is old enough to remember Pele in his prime thinks Messi is the best or most complete player of all time. Weird to think even in 50 years we might not get anyone as all round as Messi again.

I was watching this the other day. 16 years old. He is ridiculously good. And tough as nails some of the tackles here wouldn't be allowed now.

Love this. Shows that he can deal with brutal tackles like Maradona had to.

When the dust settles and his career is over I think they'll be less doubt that he was the 🐐

I actually have some respect for the PSG fans, who to my understanding have never once asked to do whatever it takes to win the Champions League or be the best team in the world.

They never asked for the Qatar project, don't want it, and view it as having stolen their more quotidian club from them, which is undeniably true.

That doesn't match the way I feel about Tottenham, and I don't think it lines up with our history or our values, but it's good that different clubs are different, that makes football fun.

I actually have some respect for the PSG fans, who to my understanding have never once asked to do whatever it takes to win the Champions League or be the best team in the world.

They never asked for the Qatar project, don't want it, and view it as having stolen their more quotidian club from them, which is undeniably true.

That doesn't match the way I feel about Tottenham, and I don't think it lines up with our history or our values, but it's good that different clubs are different, that makes football fun.
Our history and values being so much more big time than PSG?

So to what reason do you think they're cunting Messi off then?

.........It's hardly a Sol moment.

Just seems spoiled and brattish to me, but perhaps you know otherwise.

( Ditto LeParisien LeParisien )

.........It's hardly a Sol moment.

Just seems spoiled and brattish to me, but perhaps you know otherwise.

( Ditto LeParisien LeParisien )
Because he went off to Saudi Arabia without permission which gives the impression of downing tools before his contract expires. Suspended without pay for two weeks.

Our history and values being so much more big time than PSG?
Not big time necessarily, though we certainly were pre-Qatar.

Optimistic, daring, outward-looking, romantic, forward thinking, that sort of thing. To Dare Is To Do. The Game Is About Glory.

I am not wildly educated on PSG and its ultras culture, so correct me if you have better information to offer, but I always associated them with a sort of proudly grimy working class ethos with some political tension between rival factions and all that. A somewhat chaotic and hooliganistic environment.

For it to be a club standing for Paris as a glittering global financial capital rather than a pastime for the young and restless people at the city's margins, and policing the fans accordingly and charging prices accordingly, is a sharp departure culturally, even from when the football was rather good in the 90's.

Spurs are an English football club so certain working class roots and less savory behavior is part of that story, but within the English context the club is more romantic than all of that.

The tensions with their Qatar-bought superstars are longstanding, again happy to hear more local color to it from LeParisien LeParisien

Not big time necessarily, though we certainly were pre-Qatar.

Optimistic, daring, outward-looking, romantic, forward thinking, that sort of thing. To Dare Is To Do. The Game Is About Glory.

I am not wildly educated on PSG and its ultras culture, so correct me if you have better information to offer, but I always associated them with a sort of proudly grimy working class ethos with some political tension between rival factions and all that. A somewhat chaotic and hooliganistic environment.

For it to be a club standing for Paris as a glittering global financial capital rather than a pastime for the young and restless people at the city's margins, and policing the fans accordingly and charging prices accordingly, is a sharp departure culturally, even from when the football was rather good in the 90's.

Spurs are an English football club so certain working class roots and less savory behavior is part of that story, but within the English context the club is more romantic than all of that.

The tensions with their Qatar-bought superstars are longstanding, again happy to hear more local color to it from LeParisien LeParisien

The fans are french. We like to protest. Fans also went to Neymars house to shout at him… in the very nice suburb of bougival (where many impressionist painters would paint). The club has released a message to say it condemns the act of a minority of idiots. What else could they do? But Neymar and Messi are overpaid rubbish and should be sent back to Barcelona.

I don’t know how to describe fans of PSG. The club was formed from St Germain-en-Laye … an affluent suburb of Paris (with a castle). But football belongs to the people… the Parisian region is probably the finest producer of talent in the world. It’s definitely become a bit more bourgeois since the new ownership have come in. And a lot more popular. Historically the middle classes became interested in football when France did well… otherwise we prefer to insult our teams.

PSG were founded in 1972 and won 13 major trophies until their takeover in 2011 - less than 40 years. Tottenham have 17? In about 3 times as long. Since the takeover PSG have won a lot more of course… PSG are a bigger club than Tottenham.

The fans are french. We like to protest. Fans also went to Neymars house to shout at him… in the very nice suburb of bougival (where many impressionist painters would paint). The club has released a message to say it condemns the act of a minority of idiots. What else could they do? But Neymar and Messi are overpaid rubbish and should be sent back to Barcelona.

I don’t know how to describe fans of PSG. The club was formed from St Germain-en-Laye … an affluent suburb of Paris (with a castle). But football belongs to the people… the Parisian region is probably the finest producer of talent in the world. It’s definitely become a bit more bourgeois since the new ownership have come in. And a lot more popular. Historically the middle classes became interested in football when France did well… otherwise we prefer to insult our teams.

PSG were founded in 1972 and won 13 major trophies until their takeover in 2011 - less than 40 years. Tottenham have 17? In about 3 times as long. Since the takeover PSG have won a lot more of course… PSG are a bigger club than Tottenham.
So by your own admission until PSG were doped they had won less than Spurs and were a smaller club. Intresting pretty much standard for all the state backed entities with an asterisk next to all their 'major trophies'*

So by your own admission until PSG were doped they had won less than Spurs and were a smaller club. Intresting pretty much standard for all the state backed entities with an asterisk next to all their 'major trophies'*
Well yes but PSG were founded in 1972 and Spurs we’re founded in 1882.

From 1972 to 2011, PSG won 13 major trophies.
From 1972 to 2023, Spurs won 7 major trophies.

Since WWII, Spurs have won 15 major trophies in 78 years. That’s a trophy every 5.2years.
From founding to takeover PSG won a trophy every 3 years.

PSG were winning trophies at a far higher rate pre takeover than Spurs have, whatever the timespan you use.

Anyway, this is not a great discussion to have on a spurs forum.

Since WWII, Spurs have won 15 major trophies in 78 years. That’s a trophy every 5.2years.

PSG were winning trophies at a far higher rate pre takeover than Spurs have, whatever the timespan you use.

I could care less about rate of wins. Prehaps a respective look at the strenght of the two sporting pyramids is worth a look. I also think the entirely 'big club' rhetoric is for Texans and Sky. Founded in 1972 wow Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor has had longer toenails. FightingIllini FightingIllini politely made a point about differing fanbases whilst complementing the PSG fans, not sure why this would be an invitation to belittle Spurs on a spurs football forum. I get your French but take a day off. If we are just dragging in random football teams let me know when you're team are 'bigger' than Nottingham Forest. No asterisks next to their achievements.

Last edited:
I could care less about rate of wins. Prehaps a respective look at the strenght of the two sporting pyramids is worth a look. I also think the entirely 'big club' rhetoric is for Texans and Sky. Founded in 1972 wow Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor has had longer toenails. FightingIllini FightingIllini politely made a point about differing fanbases whilst complementing the PSG fans, not sure why this would be an invitation to belittle Spurs on a spurs football forum. I get your French but take a day off. If we are just dragging in random football teams let me know when you're team are 'bigger' than Nottingham Forest. No asterisks next to their achievements.
You could care less? I guess the real question is could you care more?

Chill out. I was responding to his comment that Spurs were more “big time” before the takeover. PSG have been more successful at picking up major trophies since their founding which was 50 years ago.

I hate PSG so maybe let’s let it go…

farm ag GIF by UCDavis

Back
Top Bottom