Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Clearly not.

I'm no more 'on the offensive' than you were with the comment that triggered this discussion.

It's the BBC's graphic, so we're not supposed to do anything. But, I absolutely do think we should have been represented in a graphic of title-contenders, given our recent performances, and given the fact that many saw us as one of the favourites for the title.

I really don't mind that you disagree. I do take objection to your suggestion that my disagreeing with you is evidence of mental illness.
Not sure thats what I meant, but I see where you're coming from.
When you think the whole world is against you, and that you are being singled out for negative treatment - what would you call it?

From my perspective there isn't a campaign against us, and I do understand why the media presses the case for bigger "attractions" than us. I just don't care about it all. Its a media circus and they can go fuck themselves for all I care.

Clearly not.

I'm no more 'on the offensive' than you were with the comment that triggered this discussion.

As a matter of interest - why do you say clearly not - when I said it doesn't bother me at all - am I supposed to be frothing at the mouth and enraged - because I comment on something I read? As it happens its quite the opposite, I'm amused at it.

And I wasn't attacking anyone with my original comment, I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings - or for that matter, seriously proposing that you were all nutters.

Just sharing opinions, like you guys were.

In a thread with ‘bias’ in the title? Yes, probably.
the title expresses the view that the media is out to denounce, traduce and denigrate the club and all it stands for.

Look on any other football forum, they all say the same thing (about their club)

IMHO what people are doing is confusing "bias" (negative) with a lack of fawning admiration, which they would prefer to see.

the title expresses the view that the media is out to denounce, traduce and denigrate the club and all it stands for.

Look on any other football forum, they all say the same thing (about their club)

IMHO what people are doing is confusing "bias" (negative) with a lack of fawning admiration, which they would prefer to see.

Yes, Liverpool fans are convinced that we are the media darlings which is clearly absurd. It doesn’t bother me too much, I think this thread is a bit of fun really.

Last edited:
They should do one with “What if goal keepers didn’t exist”

It’s about as useful

Maybe “ What if footballers were prone to spontaneously combust”
giphy.gif

When you think the whole world is against you, and that you are being singled out for negative treatment - what would you call it?
To the best of my knowledge, no one here thinks the 'whole world' is against Spurs. Maybe you've seen evidence to the contrary but, more likely, you're just using hyperbole as a device to frame people with a different opinion to you as mentally ill.

I do happen to believe that there are instances of bias. I think some of it is deliberate (such as the earlier graphic) and some of it habitual, almost unconscious, such as the language used by Sky to report on our win over Man Utd a few weeks ago:

Tottenham 2-0 Man Utd: Visitors now 15 points behind Man City at top

I also accept that supporters of other clubs might have similar grievances against the media for perceived bias against their team. I don't have examples because I don't give a fuck. I read and comment in this thread because that's it's purpose. I can't imagine taking the time to visit a thread I had no interest in solely for the purpose of telling those who do that they're wasting their time.

Mick Cooper Mick Cooper - here's another example of, what I perceive to be, the deliberate type of bias I mentioned (it may have been posted before). It's a screen shot of Sky Sports promotional piece for a title race segment broadcast back in November 2017. I believe we were 3rd at the time.

I can't think of a single good reason, let alone a bad one, why Pochettino's face isn't on the screen.

Mick Cooper Mick Cooper - here's another example of, what I perceive to be, the deliberate type of bias I mentioned (it may have been posted before). It's a screen shot of Sky Sports promotional piece for a title race segment broadcast back in November 2017. I believe we were 3rd at the time.

I can't think of a single good reason, let alone a bad one, why Pochettino's face isn't on the screen.

Pochettino doesn't fit well into a round-up of twats.

There's your reason.

Quinn being a twat rehashing the must win trophies to keep Kane narrative.
To be fair, Durham fighting our corner a bit but Quinn ignoring Durham's comment about Liverpool needing to win a trophy....no clearer example of bias! Twat!

Managers that have won something is the best I could give for the explanation.

But it's still ridiculous.

To the best of my knowledge, no one here thinks the 'whole world' is against Spurs. Maybe you've seen evidence to the contrary but, more likely, you're just using hyperbole as a device to frame people with a different opinion to you as mentally ill.

I do happen to believe that there are instances of bias. I think some of it is deliberate (such as the earlier graphic) and some of it habitual, almost unconscious, such as the language used by Sky to report on our win over Man Utd a few weeks ago:

Tottenham 2-0 Man Utd: Visitors now 15 points behind Man City at top

I also accept that supporters of other clubs might have similar grievances against the media for perceived bias against their team. I don't have examples because I don't give a fuck. I read and comment in this thread because that's it's purpose. I can't imagine taking the time to visit a thread I had no interest in solely for the purpose of telling those who do that they're wasting their time.
Again putting words into my mouth, show me where I said wasting your time?
I'm sure I said find something more worthwhile to be upset about.

I'm continuously intrigued to look at some of the slights and media crimes that people perceive to be worthy of comment and felt the article that came under scrutiny to be not worthy of bothering with. Which is obviously an issue to you.
I'm not a journalist or talksport presenter you know, just a Spurs fan with an opinion on the subject matter.
Do I have to be frothing at the mouth and raging against the national media to take part?

And that means what then? In the grand scheme of things? Let's get his media profile up so we can start a Poch to RM bandwagon?
I really couldn't give a flying shit whether he's on there, I'll still sleep, still be as financially viable and still enjoy my beer so why does this affect mine or anyone's life exactly?

And that means what then? In the grand scheme of things? Let's get his media profile up so we can start a Poch to RM bandwagon?
I really couldn't give a flying shit whether he's on there, I'll still sleep, still be as financially viable and still enjoy my beer so why does this affect mine or anyone's life exactly?

You seem quite angry about this. If you care so little about it, why bother posting in here?

Again putting words into my mouth, show me where I said wasting your time?
I'm sure I said find something more worthwhile to be upset about.
Seriously, what's the difference? Strange that someone so inclined to build hyperbolic strawman arguments should kick up a fuss over semantics.

You should probably find something more worthwhile to be upset about.

Back
Top Bottom