Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...so... what with ArseAnals gimme into the next round assured... I started flicking through the channels.. . And came across: PREMIER LEAGUE'S GREATEST MOMENTS on Sky One...
And what was on as I turned over?? Fucking Lasagne-gate game against West Ham...
Now, call me an old cynic... but are you telling me that's up there with the PL'S GREATEST MOMENTS?
Controversial... yes...
Heartbreaking... obviously.. .
Downright corrupt... arguably.

But GREATEST??? FUCKING GREATSET?
unless you're the Gooner editor of that show, then it most definitely isn't.

But I suspect Sky let their guard slip momentarily with it's inclusion in what their unbiased opinion considers one of the PREMIER LEAGUE'S GREATEST MOMENTS!

SKEWED cunts!

I remember around 2006 when their fans along with Villa, Charlton, Everton and even Fulham all claimed Spurs were no bigger than them and our fans were deluded

I remember driving back from St Mary’s about that time (lost 1-0 iirc) and the radio was on. Southampton and Middlesbrough fans were phoning in saying they’d replaced us in the top 10 of English clubs. I was getting so wound up my Mrs ordered me to pull over at Fleet services to calm down. Fucking Middlesbrough and Southampton? Fuck’s sake.

Last edited:
It wasn’t until Big Martin Jol took over from Jacques ‘Tackleberry’ Santini did our fortunes begin to turn around we’d spent over ten years of being PL mid-to-lower table fodder. We were also a big club historically but allowing clubs like Charlton and Southampton to think they were on a par with us due to the Sugar and early ENIC years is painful. It has taken over 10 years to truly transform us from top 5 to elite top 4. The wait has been well worth it.

Southampton or South Coast Big Club started hating us when Hoddle left them for us and then we went and signed Deano (RIP big man)
Didn't their chairman call us North London thugs!
Then their fans decided (after 100 years) that they were angry "we stole their song"......before stealing our slow version.

I remember around 2006 when their fans along with Villa, Charlton, Everton and even Fulham all claimed Spurs were no bigger than them and our fans were deluded.
Yep how's that gone for you?

Some twat on the old 606 forum used to wind everybody up about Villa being better than Spurs.

I remember driving back from St Mary’s about that time (lost 1-0 iirc) and the radio was on. Southampton and Middlesbrough fans were phoning in saying they’d replaced us in the top 10 of English clubs. I was getting so wound up my Mrs ordered me to pull over at Fleet services to calm down. Fucking Middlesbrough and Southampton? Fuck’s sake.

I think there is a funny sense of revisionism in the minds of fans and as much as it annoys us to hear this kind of shit I think it's a much more human reaction to the picture at that time.

We were not a great competitive team in 2006, this has been a long journey and in that snapshot we were no more than standard premier league stock. At the time you could say to other fans 'we're a sleeping giant' and frankly on the other side when someone says it to you, you think it natural to believe it's bullshit, for the past 30 years Aston Villa has been a 'sleeping giant' take your pick on any number of clubs, Leeds, Wolves, Charlton, West Ham, they are all just a step away from something great, but that's quite a step in the real world...

Then look at the fact that we contextualise things to such a short period of time, a few days ago I was writing that I worried about how we'd handle Liverpool at Wembley, thankfully I now look like a tool! In the moment things either appear to be way better or worse than the reality, that is where we all misstep in the way we look at things. To put it another way when 'What's The Story Morning Glory' came out it was put up in the top 10 best albums of all time, now it's still seen as a decent album but you say to yourself, 'it's good but it ain't no Sargent Peppers/Dark Side of the Moon', because at the time you're on a wave of hype, only time serves to tell you how credible the hype was.

For the record I still quite like 'What's the Story' but Liam seems to be a massive cunt....

I think there is a funny sense of revisionism in the minds of fans and as much as it annoys us to hear this kind of shit I think it's a much more human reaction to the picture at that time.

We were not a great competitive team in 2006, this has been a long journey and in that snapshot we were no more than standard premier league stock. At the time you could say to other fans 'we're a sleeping giant' and frankly on the other side when someone says it to you, you think it natural to believe it's bullshit, for the past 30 years Aston Villa has been a 'sleeping giant' take your pick on any number of clubs, Leeds, Wolves, Charlton, West Ham, they are all just a step away from something great, but that's quite a step in the real world...

Then look at the fact that we contextualise things to such a short period of time, a few days ago I was writing that I worried about how we'd handle Liverpool at Wembley, thankfully I now look like a tool! In the moment things either appear to be way better or worse than the reality, that is where we all misstep in the way we look at things. To put it another way when 'What's The Story Morning Glory' came out it was put up in the top 10 best albums of all time, now it's still seen as a decent album but you say to yourself, 'it's good but it ain't no Sargent Peppers/Dark Side of the Moon', because at the time you're on a wave of hype, only time serves to tell you how credible the hype was.

For the record I still quite like 'What's the Story' but Liam seems to be a massive cunt....

Nah. Definitely Maybe is their best album. I didn’t understand the rest. :allitongue:

Seriously, we were never going to be overtaken by clubs like that.

Nah. Definitely Maybe is their best album. I didn’t understand the rest. :allitongue:

In retrospect it probably was, the main point is that right now Southampton don't look very good and Middlesbrough is an utter shithole..

I guess also that for some time we've been quite good but no one outside of Spurs will take any notice or remember it unless we either win the Prem or Champions League. So,fuck 'em I guess...

When I was at school Newcastle were in their pomp and Boro had Ravanelli. Spurs were considered a small team from London to anyone but a Spurs fan. Even Boro thought they were bigger than us.

It's not revisionist but in 2006 when when we were just creeping out of the last 15 years doldrums, we were still taking 36k at WHL, had one of the best home atmospheres in the country, and were taking 3000 away to the likes of Forest on a Wednesday night in the Coca Cola.

We were still attracting the likes of Edgar Davids and had in the last decade seen players like Sheringham, Klinsmann, Ginola, Poyet, Anderton and Les grace our teams.

Then you got Villa fans with 29000 empty seats claiming to be on a par or bigger.

I've been around since the early sixties and we have ALWAYS been a bigger club than your Southamptons, Boros, Charltons .... the likes of Villa, Leeds, Sheffield x2, B'gham, Wolves had there five minutes of fame but even they were never really close to our level ...

Sure we had '77 and the whole of the 90's were pretty shite ... but we had a sold out ground and a massive away support none the less ... none of the clubs above can claim that ...

We have always had the advantage of being a London Club (and that's a big advantage) but until DL got his shit together we've never been that well run or well managed ....

We were not a 'sleeping giant' remember we were .... the 1st English Club to win in Europe, the 1st side to do the double, broke new ground signing Ricki and Ossie, developed a world class training facility ... we've always been leaders in the sport, we've just taken a while to get the playing side up to speed ...

I've been around since the early sixties and we have ALWAYS been a bigger club than your Southamptons, Boros, Charltons .... the likes of Villa, Leeds, Sheffield x2, B'gham, Wolves had there five minutes of fame but even they were never really close to our level ...

Sure we had '77 and the whole of the 90's were pretty shite ... but we had a sold out ground and a massive away support none the less ... none of the clubs above can claim that ...

We have always had the advantage of being a London Club (and that's a big advantage) but until DL got his shit together we've never been that well run or well managed ....

We were not a 'sleeping giant' remember we were .... the 1st English Club to win in Europe, the 1st side to do the double, broke new ground signing Ricki and Ossie, developed a world class training facility ... we've always been leaders in the sport, we've just taken a while to get the playing side up to speed ...

This is a little bit difficult, on one hand I completely agree with the fact that we were never a sleeping giant, Spurs means more than that to me..

But in the 90s we weren't selling out, we still had a great following but no one cared much for legacy other than our own fans.

At times we have been hanging on the coat tails of former glory and there is nothing wrong with that but it is often rolled out when things don't look so good in the present. You don't hear so much about '61 or winning consecutive FA Cups because at this moment we're one of the best teams in England and possibly Europe.

This is a little bit difficult, on one hand I completely agree with the fact that we were never a sleeping giant, Spurs means more than that to me..

But in the 90s we weren't selling out, we still had a great following but no one cared much for legacy other than our own fans.

At times we have been hanging on the coat tails of former glory and there is nothing wrong with that but it is often rolled out when things don't look so good in the present. You don't hear so much about '61 or winning consecutive FA Cups because at this moment we're one of the best teams in England and possibly Europe.

Probably why Liverpool like to remind us of their history all the time. Their team currently is shite

BBC Sport top story had the headline ...
"Bravo heroics help Man City in shootout"
which they have just changed to ...
"Bravo stars as Man City beat Wolves in shootout"

Talk about putting a positive spin on the game.

Seriously, we were never going to be overtaken by clubs like that.
Instead we got overtaken by perennial shit clubs like Shitty and the Chavs. Any number of clubs could be bought out by questionable people/consortiums. Leeds certainly have been failed miserably and now seem to be on their way back.

It was not long ago that I was happy we got in the top 4. If that is all we do this year( 4th and no good cup runs) then I will be disappointed. That is how far we have come in a few years.

BBC Sport top story had the headline ...
"Bravo heroics help Man City in shootout"
which they have just changed to ...
"Bravo stars as Man City beat Wolves in shootout"

Talk about putting a positive spin on the game.

City were battered.....I was so fucking pissed off when I woke to see them and Scum had gone through. I dont fear either but just sick of their jammyness

Going back to the 2006 thing....in just four years we were in the CL (and had won the Carling Cup)

Anyone dare to imagine four years from now?
I honestly believe the appointment of AVB set this club back half a decade. Not saying Harry would have won the title, but boy did we fuck that momentum up big time.

Back
Top Bottom