Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t hate it.

He’s survived death and gets to be a dad, which is THE best reason to survive anything.

The only thing I hate is that they were probably pressured into deleting it.

They are click baiting, made it look like it said Tom Lockyer is dead.

No idea why BBC bait engagement for, what are they trying to prove?

They are click baiting, made it look like it said Tom Lockyer is dead.

No idea why BBC bait engagement for, what are they trying to prove?

I know what they did. They made a play on words to attract the reader to what is a very positive story.

I don’t hate it. Everyone just gets outraged about everything these days. We have become morally soft.

I know what they did. They made a play on words to attract the reader to what is a very positive story.

I don’t hate it. Everyone just gets outraged about everything these days. We have become morally soft.

Meh I'm not even outraged but I don't get why BBC need to do it, they don't need constant eyes on their account, they don't make money from engagement or clicks or shares, they don't have affiliates and they don't advertise and don't need marketing, just plain weird.

It's not even a particularly good 'play on words' ...and if it was deliberate... (Which it so obviously weas) Wheat sort of person would be 'attracted' to clicking on that hadline, possibly thinking he WAS dead?!

I just wanna know if anyone complained to the BBC for misleading reporting, as I'm sure many people would've been eagerly clicking on the story, hoping to read all about his death... only to realise too late that they'd been slyly duped into reading a soppy, lame 'feelgood story' instead, about him "becoming dad"!!

...surely the BBC's raders wanna rad about dead footballers, not dad ones??

Meh I'm not even outraged but I don't get why BBC need to do it, they don't need constant eyes on their account, they don't make money from engagement or clicks or shares, they don't have affiliates and they don't advertise and don't need marketing, just plain weird.
The same website works abroad as bbc.com which does have advertising.

It's not even a particularly good 'play on words' ...and if it was deliberate... (Which it so obviously weas) Wheat sort of person would be 'attracted' to clicking on that hadline, possibly thinking he WAS dead?!

I just wanna know if anyone complained to the BBC for misleading reporting, as I'm sure many people would've been eagerly clicking on the story, hoping to read all about his death... only to realise too late that they'd been slyly duped into reading a soppy, lame 'feelgood story' instead, about him "becoming dad"!!

...surely the BBC's raders wanna rad about dead footballers, not dad ones??

Didn’t think it was a bad play on words. If you know his story, which is most people into football, then you would click it.

I would have.

Didn’t think it was a bad play on words. If you know his story, which is most people into football, then you would click it.

I would have.
My point is that are the people clicking on it 'cos they think he's dead... or cos they fully understand from the perfectly clear and not in any way underhand headline that he's dad!??

Maybe. Most of them clicking on it because they know the story.
...and that there's a chance he HAS actually died!! ...and they wanna read ALL about it!

It's why the same sort of people rubber-neck at car crashes... They can see there's a crash up ahead, but they deliberately slow down to take a gooooood look!

Maybe they'll be lucky enough to see a decapitated head, or a child impaled on the driver's thighbone!! If they've ground to a halt, they could even take a few sneaky pics and out it on their InstaTwat account titled: "You think I'VE had a bad day?"

I just don't get what people actually WANT to see or read in those situations!

You know as well as I that the headline was deliberately misleading... And that's simply BECAUSE people know the story... It's just what do they want to get out of the story that's telling...
bad news sells better. Simple fact.

Actually, they could've tried a social experiment with that story... By titling one as they did "Lockyear is dad after cardiac arrest"

...or a clearer; "becomes a Dad after cardiac arrest"
just to see which got more clicks!!

...and that there's a chance he HAS actually died!! ...and they wanna read ALL about it!

It's why the same sort of people rubber-neck at car crashes... They can see there's a crash up ahead, but they deliberately slow down to take a gooooood look!

Maybe they'll be lucky enough to see a decapitated head, or a child impaled on the driver's thighbone!! If they've ground to a halt, they could even take a few sneaky pics and out it on their InstaTwat account titled: "You think I'VE had a bad day?"

I just don't get what people actually WANT to see or read in those situations!

You know as well as I that the headline was deliberately misleading... And that's simply BECAUSE people know the story... It's just what do they want to get out of the story that's telling...
bad news sells better. Simple fact.

Actually, they could've tried a social experiment with that story... By titling one as they did "Lockyear is dad after cardiac arrest"

...or a clearer; "becomes a Dad after cardiac arrest"
just to see which got more clicks!!

The Dad should definitely have been in caps

I don't think the BBC was clickbaiting the headline.

I think it's far more likely the story was posted by some junior who probably didn't give a second thought to people misreading the headline. I'm sure they see in hindsight that "becomes father" would have been safer.

As I understand it with the BBC these days it's not filled with Woodwards and Bernsteins but kids who do all the fluff pieces that don't make the BBC news on channel 1.

Last edited:
I don't think the BBC was clickbaiting the headline.

I think it's far more likely the story was posted by some junior who probably didn't give a second though to people misreading the headline. I'm sure they see in hindsight that "becomes father" would have been safer.

As I understand it with the BBC these days it's not filled with Woodwards and Bernsteins but kids who do all the fluff pieces that don't make the BBC news on channel 1.
though or thought??
I suppose it's easily done!

Unfortunate maybe but hardly "disgusting". For example, the claim that They’ve even lowercased the “Dad” so that people click on it in a panic is utter rubbish. Words like father, mother, dad, mum etc. are never capitalised (where they are not being used as a name, as in "Dad! Dad!!! Watch this!"), just like uncle, cousin etc. aren't. They aren't proper nouns so there's zero need to.

Back
Top Bottom