Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've looked at the clip numerous times now and for the life of me I cannot tell if he's being serious or not with regard to leaving.

When you really think about it though, would it actually be that much of a surprise if he did head for the sunset if we pull this off...?

He would go down in history as our greatest ever manager, be loved for eternity by fans, he would have achieved his dream that he has constantly harped on about since his arrival, win a Champions League with Tottenham. He's also said numerous times how he would like to leave on a high, and not end up like Wenger where you go from hero to villain by outstaying your welcome.

As well as all that, I'm sure he's acutely aware of the major surgery that needs to be done to this team, and the relationship he has with some of those boys would make it so difficult for him I would imagine to tell some of them they're no longer wanted after just being crowned Champions of Europe...

I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong in everything I've just said, but I genuinely wouldn't be so sure what he's saying is purely sarcasm..

For reasons you note..... How could we honestly begrudge him?

1 thing I agree with is that if we won; whatever came after could not really get any bigger. With such a wide consensus that this team had already peaked, to achieve that with the back-drop of the last 2 years turmoil is incredible as the gaffa rightly points out.... I think the only thing that would top that for Poch would be leading Argentina to WC victory.

I agree Poch was fucking with the journo who was being a cunt pre-match and post-match. The problem is our fans don't know what is going on when he is joking around, trolling them, and they write shit. Also, it is really hard for me to tell how much of it is down to the language barrier, the emotional reaction, or the press officer allowing the questions from hacky journo.

He called for our trust and belief at several times this season. I think he's earned that....

Besides, they're called PRESS conferences.... Not FAN conferences... He gives us a heads-up when he's talking directly to us.....

The sheer fucking arrogance of this !

For anyone who can't be bothered to read it the jist of it is Poch wanted the Utd job but Utd didn't want to pay the 40 million "world record" fee for a manager which would have been "nearly impossible"

What a crock of shit like a club with a 300 million wage bill who pay Sanchez 25 million a year and have spent 40 million on shite like Matic would bat an eyelid at paying 40 million to liberate Poch from his contract , OGS would never of got the job if Poch wanted it regardless of the start he made , Poch turned you down you arrogant Manc twats.

Indeed; yet we should be somehow warmed by the notion of beating the dipper for everyone... Just one of a plethora of reasons why I think fuck that! The way our club has built, in itself is IN THE INTEREST OF FOOTBALL yet we get ridiculed by and large for it on a daily basis.....

D6HdkkMW0AAPDji.jpg:large

The late postmatch interview GR did for TS around 1.30 am after the game was beutiful.

There's a special place in hell for David Hytner. Piss-poor journalist, one of Sherwood's Gang of Three that he used to leak information to, he's been one of those most stirring up the Pochettino leaving crap, writing five near-identical articles in a week when Mourinho was sacked. Cunt of a man.

Here he is again, true to form. Taking a throwaway line from Danny Rose to move not just him on but our manager too.

Sub-Hackney Gazette level hack gets back on hobby horse

By the way, that "going home" line from Pochettino, another throwaway remark, has been completely misunderstood. If you know any Spanish (or other languages with other managers), you'll know he sometimes translates an idiomatic expression literally, like when he says "I'll sign that" instead of "I'll take that now". No blame, everyone who's learnt a language has done it loads of times. John Toshack once responded to criticism of him during his time at Real Madrid by literally translating "It's all water off a duck's back" to much merriment and piss-taking. So it goes.

Anyhow, when Spanish speakers say "... y a casa" (which MP rendered as "and I go home") at the end of explaining something it means something like "end of story" or "and that's that". Just what "home" did they think he meant? That he was going back to Newells? Or to take over his village club in Murphy, out on the Pampas? Fucking useless, pig-ignorant no-marks, some of them can barely express themselves in English, I'm not surprised they can't imagine what it's like to speak more than one language

It seemingly does pay to note who the individuals within the journo rabble are.

Thanks for posting.

Poch always shows Levy the respect and says its not his own choice if he's here next season.
He points to his contract, says he will honour it, but its down to Levy if he still has a job.

I cant say if he's leaving or not.....without reading between any lines, it sounds like its over.

Whether its mind games, trolling or truth, we'll find out in the summer, but we face a pretty fucked up choice if what he's saying is true.

Glory and Poch leaves, or failure and he stays to fight another day.
Spursy rears its fat ugly head again.

Surely that's "reading between lines", Sammy? : P

Regardless, he'd leave with my gratitude and blessing.

Christ some of you need to chill the fuck out.

It’s taking the heat off the players isn’t it..........
I know Guillem Balague has touched upon the whole coaching staff having a wicked sense of humour. And not knowing when they are being serious or joking.

Personally think he’s just fucking with journos because he can.

If he starts banging on about cows and trains again would be superb.

Poch has this thing about cojones, or "big balls " as he actually said in the interview after the game. As we have seen he also likes to make a physical public demonstration of it too, just like Simeone

Must be an Argentinian thing :pochohshit:

:pochlol:

I think he's saying something slightly more subtle than that.

He's saying that he wants to be a part of a project that has defined what it wants to be and what success looks like in a way that is open and transparent and achievable.

If Daniel Levy wants to cash in on a superstar per summer, hang around the top six, aggressively target the FA Cup, League Cup, and Europa League, and focus new player recruitment on academy graduates and bright young prospects elsewhere, and focus on being almost an Ajax-like club in an EPL context, and SAY THAT PUBLICLY, I think Poch would be willing to be a part of that project for the long term. I'm not sure that would sell 62k of the most expensive football tickets in the world, but Poch is in.

And obviously, he seems to be in for big investment to kick on to the next level as well.

What Poch is clearly uninterested in is watching his miracle team evaporate down the table due to disinvestment while the expectations that he personally created remain the same. And who can blame him?

The thing that's scrambling everyone's brains is the idea that it is not an iron law of nature that such a "crash" as Poch described it is coming, as sure as the sun will rise in the east tomorrow morning.

This WILL be a sixth place team, at best, SOON without major financial resources plunged into the squad, period. Lucas Moura was our best player on Wednesday, two of the next three were Christian Eriksen and Toby Alderweireld. Time's up.

He basically wants the press to stop asking him why we aren't winning the league when that's not the objective he's been set, and at the same time he wants the club to tell people what the realistic ambitions are.

I'm really not sure what I think he will do. If pushedcu would mean slightly towards him leaving after the final, but I'm hoping he stays for many more years. Maybe that's a little bit of fantasy land as he has already worked his add of and given us 5 years of his heart and soul...time will tell I suppose.....coys

Those who disagreed, there are just so many aspects to that post.....what do you disagree with? All of it?
You are entitled to disagree of course, but do you not think Poch shows Levy respect for example?
Or that I cant say whether he's leaving or not? ( maybe you rang him?)
Or that when he says theres nothing more to achieve after winning the CL, and he'll go home that actually sounds like he wants to stay?
Or that we'll know more in the summer?
Or its a fucked up choice if true?

:lennon:
I'll bite. I disagreed with the last couple of sentences. A champions League final loss would not be a 'failure'. And also I don't see how that is 'Spursy' at all. Especially considering the other night was the most unspursy thing ever. The word Spursy is way overused, to me it always meant consistent last minute conceded goals and throwing stuff away when everything looked rosy. The last time we did something Spursy I think was when we somehow managed to finish behind Woolwich in Poch's 2nd season. An example of something 'Spursy' I think would be if we lost 4-0 this weekend and Woolwich won 4-0 to put us out the top 4, then they win the UEL and we lose the final so that we are in the Europa next year. That is why I disagreed.

I'll bite. I disagreed with the last couple of sentences. A champions League final loss would not be a 'failure'. And also I don't see how that is 'Spursy' at all. Especially considering the other night was the most unspursy thing ever. The word Spursy is way overused, to me it always meant consistent last minute conceded goals and throwing stuff away when everything looked rosy. The last time we did something Spursy I think was when we somehow managed to finish behind Woolwich in Poch's 2nd season. An example of something 'Spursy' I think would be if we lost 4-0 this weekend and Woolwich won 4-0 to put us out the top 4, then they win the UEL and we lose the final so that we are in the Europa next year. That is why I disagreed.

The press have picked up on ‘Spursy’ in recent years and have equated it to folding under pressure or outright loosing, but I always understood it to mean when things go wrng to conspire against us eg finishing top 4, but Chelsea fluke their to win the Champions League, needing to win against Spam to clinch 4th but players suffer from lasagnegate, racist John Terry gets dropped by England - the manager resigns - our manager Rednapp thinks he will be appointed and the team results go to relegation form and we miss out on Champions League and there are so many more.

[RATING][/RATING]

Back
Top Bottom