Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate. He's clearly pissed off at the question. You can see the dead-eye he gave the reporter. The guy has just spilled his guts all over the world after an emotional game.
Heads up my arse after tonight. Not even sure he had a presser anymore.

Assume if he was found to be serious, there may have been a follow up I suppose.

I've looked at the clip numerous times now and for the life of me I cannot tell if he's being serious or not with regard to leaving.

When you really think about it though, would it actually be that much of a surprise if he did head for the sunset if we pull this off...?

He would go down in history as our greatest ever manager, be loved for eternity by fans, he would have achieved his dream that he has constantly harped on about since his arrival, win a Champions League with Tottenham. He's also said numerous times how he would like to leave on a high, and not end up like Wenger where you go from hero to villain by outstaying your welcome.

As well as all that, I'm sure he's acutely aware of the major surgery that needs to be done to this team, and the relationship he has with some of those boys would make it so difficult for him I would imagine to tell some of them they're no longer wanted after just being crowned Champions of Europe...

I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong in everything I've just said, but I genuinely wouldn't be so sure what he's saying is purely sarcasm..

I've looked at the clip numerous times now and for the life of me I cannot tell if he's being serious or not with regard to leaving.

When you really think about it though, would it actually be that much of a surprise if he did head for the sunset if we pull this off...?

He would go down in history as our greatest ever manager, be loved for eternity by fans, he would have achieved his dream that he has constantly harped on about since his arrival, win a Champions League with Tottenham. He's also said numerous times how he would like to leave on a high, and not end up like Wenger where you go from hero to villain by outstaying your welcome.

As well as all that, I'm sure he's acutely aware of the major surgery that needs to be done to this team, and the relationship he has with some of those boys would make it so difficult for him I would imagine to tell some of them they're no longer wanted after just being crowned Champions of Europe...

I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong in everything I've just said, but I genuinely wouldn't be so sure what he's saying is purely sarcasm..
Some really good points, however there is a lot of cause for optimism.

He's 47, not anywhere near the age to be disappearing into the sunset. Even if he wants to finish early, I'm sure he'll do another 10 years.

He would go down as our greatest ever manager, but to leave after winning the CL and having put that squad together, he'll not want to hand the reigns to a new manager who with monies forthcoming could overtake his legacy in a matter of a couple of years.

As for the squad, I think some of them know the end is nigh. They may enjoy being part of the group, but they'll know they aren't the future anymore and they'll move on; some will have achieved more than they ever could have dreamed of.

As for the man himself, I think he says these things more out of disdain for the media than anything else.

Put it like this, when we are having this conversation again in 10 years, as we approach our 6th straight EPL and CL double, we'll still be in awe of Poch for the transformation he brought to our wonderful club.

I find it hard to believe that he is going to leave the club after saying this 5 months ago.

Pochettino is just fucking with the reporters that think it's acceptable to ask questions like that less than an hour after the biggest result of his career. Same as he did with the journo that asked him if Harry would be fit for the final.

Most sports journalists are parasites, they have to be to make a living. I can imagine that it gets tiring to have to deal with them day in, day out. They don't give a shit about you. All they want is a headline.

Be it sincerity or sarcasm, it’s another in a long line of things he’s said that could easily be misinterpreted. I just wish he wouldn’t do stuff like this.

I agree Poch was fucking with the journo who was being a cunt pre-match and post-match. The problem is our fans don't know what is going on when he is joking around, trolling them, and they write shit. Also, it is really hard for me to tell how much of it is down to the language barrier, the emotional reaction, or the press officer allowing the questions from hacky journo.

Mate. He's clearly pissed off at the question. You can see the dead-eye he gave the reporter. The guy has just spilled his guts all over the world after an emotional game.

Yeah, he knew exactly what the reporter said, you can see his expression change during the question. This is classic Ferguson stuff, who he greatly admires.

Can't we, as Spurs fans, have one day off at looking at the negatives please?
Poch going,Poch unhappy etc .He looked happy enough last night.
We have just qualified for the Champions league final.
We have never done that before.Its the biggest final i have ever seen us in.
The only one that compares is the 1963 CWC Final .It was 5 years before i was born!
Lets just enjoy the day FFS

My take on Poch’s comments is that it was a slightly jokey / throwaway comment before the game to highlight how insane it would be to imagine us winning the thing.

“Might as well pack up and go home”

I think in the post match he’s a bit irritated by the question and therefore gives sarcastic “yeah of course I’m going to go. Hell I’ll go if we lose too” response.

The reaction to the Kane question (although I thought it was a pretty relevant one) showed that he was definitely sick of the line of questioning that was focusing on things other than what a phenomenal result it was.

Maybe reading into it what I hope to be the case but that’s how i intend to sleep at night because any thought of him leaving is fucking frightening!

The sheer fucking arrogance of this !

For anyone who can't be bothered to read it the jist of it is Poch wanted the Utd job but Utd didn't want to pay the 40 million "world record" fee for a manager which would have been "nearly impossible"

What a crock of shit like a club with a 300 million wage bill who pay Sanchez 25 million a year and have spent 40 million on shite like Matic would bat an eyelid at paying 40 million to liberate Poch from his contract , OGS would never of got the job if Poch wanted it regardless of the start he made , Poch turned you down you arrogant Manc twats.

To think, there was talk on this very forum within the last week about this club lacking bottle and people talking of Poch leaving or even being sacked.

You don't show more bottle than we did last night.

A legend

Who gives a shit if he wins fuck all with us. He has already written history with us and I'll never forget him.

Back
Top Bottom