Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It'd obviously take something mega to tempt him away, having already turned United down last year when Ferguson met him for dinner, to gauge whether he could be enticed to Old Trafford before they rubber-stamped Mourinho; but the reality is Barcelona is an opportunity to coach one of the biggest clubs in the world in a city he long called home. PSG, Inter and Atletico are also apparently big admirers of his work here.

Should he move on this summer, the next appointment would have to be somebody to build upon the foundations he's laid, an advocate of youth who combines defensive solidarity with dynamic attacking play. For me, the only candidate would be Frank De Boer.

He cultivated Verthongen and Alderweireld in his own image as proper defensively astute while also ball-playing centre halves, and oversaw Eriksen's early development. He's a solid tactician who merges Cruyffist attacking fluidity with LVG's pragmatic philosophy out of possession. He develops youth the Ajax way, as Pocchettino has done; Winks and Edwards would be in good hands.

Utilising the current squad, he'd likely field a 4-3-3 like:

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Jan-Rose
Dier
Eriksen-Alli
Lamela-Kane-Son

I love Pocchettino and hope he stays to build a dynasty here, but at the same time I don't think De Boer as a replacement if absolutely necessary would be a downgrade; if anything, he's got a winning pedigree that both Pocchettino and the squad currently lack.

It'd obviously take something mega to tempt him away, having already turned United down last year when Ferguson met him for dinner, to gauge whether he could be enticed to Old Trafford before they rubber-stamped Mourinho; but the reality is Barcelona is an opportunity to coach one of the biggest clubs in the world in a city he long called home. PSG, Inter and Atletico are also apparently big admirers of his work here.

Should he move on this summer, the next appointment would have to be somebody to build upon the foundations he's laid, an advocate of youth who combines defensive solidarity with dynamic attacking play. For me, the only candidate would be Frank De Boer.

He cultivated Verthongen and Alderweireld in his own image as proper defensively astute while also ball-playing centre halves, and oversaw Eriksen's early development. He's a solid tactician who merges Cruyffist attacking fluidity with LVG's pragmatic philosophy out of possession. He develops youth the Ajax way, as Pocchettino has done; Winks and Edwards would be in good hands.

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Jan-Rose
Dier
Eriksen-Alli
Lamela-Kane-Son

I love Pocchettino and hope he stays to build a dynasty here, but at the same time I don't think De Boer as a replacement if absolutely necessary would be a downgrade; if anything, he's got a winning pedigree that both Pocchettino and the squad currently lack.
Frank De Boer was terrible in Europe, had the best team and best academy in Holland and did not show an ability to adapt or create tactics against opponents who played him in ways he didn't expect.

Also, if you want to use a statistical ranking of managers, his Elo rating is 68 places below that of Pochettino, among active managers. (Football Club Elo Ratings)

He is not the level of manager we require.

This isn't something that I really want to think about - every indication has been that he's with us for the long haul. But if the unspeakable happens, let's just nick Southampton's manager again. They choose them well.

How do you know he was offered the Man U job and turned it down, becuase he had dinner with Ferguson?
Pochettino hasn't worked with superstars, that's the thing you have to take into consideration.
Can you imagine him telling Neymar you are paid to train or dropping any of their big name players becuase they are not training as hard as he expects.

Maybe Koeman?

Frank De Boer was terrible in Europe, had the best team and best academy in Holland and did not show an ability to adapt or create tactics against opponents who played him in ways he didn't expect.

Also, if you want to use a statistical ranking of managers, his Elo rating is 68 places below that of Pochettino, among active managers. (Football Club Elo Ratings)

He is not the level of manager we require.
De Boer is just the Dutch AVB

I think if Pochettino goes then Spurs should go for Gary Rowett.
He's brilliant. He's English, got all his badges and unlike these foreign managers who come over here, he knows English football. :pochshock:

?

Last edited:
Maybe Koeman?

De Boer is just the Dutch AVB
Koeman was a step back for Soton, would be a bigger one for us. Cross-happy, ineffective attacking tactics would not be an improvement.

Arguably, Pochettino is very much an Argentine AVB. They both talk about pressing, and feature offenses which have a ton of shots from everywhere, instead of creating better quality chances. The difference is that unlike AVB, Pochettino knows how to actually coach a pressing system and a defense, as well as an attack, so is getting genuine results.

I very much doubt Pochettino would leave especially if Levy backs him in the summer.

No idea who we would get but we would have a big pool of options.

For now I think Pochettino would prefer to show he can be a winner first.

Barcelona would be hard to turn down but I think he has more to prove for now for them to come calling. As for PSG not so sure but I think they might go for Simeone.

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Jan-Rose
Dier
Eriksen-Alli
Lamela-Kane-Son

Are you his agent?

This is Frank De Boer, who declares interest in managing a Tescos these days. He got overlooked when he has competing with Poch for the job in the first place, and has since been found out.

Lloris
Walker-Toby-Jan-Rose
Dier
Eriksen-Alli
Lamela-Kane-Son

I think you will find he met Ferguson because he is one of the all time greats. Poch is a young manager, keen to pick the brains of one of the best mangers the game has ever seen. You read, and most worryingly believe what is written in The Sun. Me? I prefer to believe what was actually said by Poch and my club.

Actions speak louder than words: Poch signed a new deal with us. Promoted from Coach to Manager and given the longest contract of any manger in a generation. Yet despite all this, you choose to believe the conspiracy theory and the land of untruths, fairies and trolls.

Why are you so keen to talk about getting in another manger, when instead not enjoying a man that has the potential be be one of our very best?

Are you his agent?

This is Frank De Boer, who declares interest in managing a Tescos these days. He got overlooked when he has competing with Poch for the job in the first place, and has since been found out.
Give the man some credit, Frank De Boer is actually managing Nando's in Dalston.

I think you will find he met Ferguson because he is one of the all time greats. Poch is a young manager, keen to pick the brains of one of the best mangers the game has ever seen. You read, and most worryingly believe what is written in The Sun. Me? I prefer to believe what was actually said by Poch and my club.

Actions speak louder than words: Poch signed a new deal with us. Promoted from Coach to Manager and given the longest contract of any manger in a generation. Yet despite all this, you choose to believe the conspiracy theory and the land of untruths, fairies and trolls.

Why are you so keen to talk about getting in another manger, when instead not enjoying a man that has the potential be be one of our very best?
I honestly think Poche is a very big Fergie fan, and that meeting was entirely an excuse by Mauricio to get him liquored up and pick his brains.

Back
Top Bottom