Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm starting to get really excited with all these sources (and not just dodgy ones!) reporting that Pochettino is in advanced talks with us. I know there are a lot of people on here who wouldn't be too happy with his appointment but I genuinely believe this could be the start of something good. Not that I wouldn't have liked De Boer here, but it just seems less likely now. I can see why people would think his appointment would be risky but as already mentioned any appointment of any manager by any club is risky! I just hope that if he does come in everyone will back him as I really can't be bothered with another split fan base like with AVB and Sherwood.

I'm starting to get really excited with all these sources (and not just dodgy ones!) reporting that Pochettino is in advanced talks with us. I know there are a lot of people on here who wouldn't be too happy with his appointment but I genuinely believe this could be the start of something good. Not that I wouldn't have liked De Boer here, but it just seems less likely now. I can see why people would think his appointment would be risky but as already mentioned any appointment of any manager by any club is risky! I just hope that if he does come in everyone will back him as I really can't be bothered with another split fan base like with AVB and Sherwood.

I don't know if it will be more of a split fan base this time but more a pure turn on levy if it goes wrong, as all the "X would have been better" is hard to legislate, cold light of day if he hires Poch and he fails, it's not his fault it's Levy's

I could actually imagine that happening. It would be quite a challenge for him which I think is exactly what he's looking for, isn't it? Either way, I'm hoping for some announcements very soon. All these speculations are driving me insane! :dempsey:

Yeah I think he'd be very happy at Milan. Strong academy, decently-funded, and in the search for a return to glory.

The rumors of him being in London are very interesting though. Of course, it's certainly possible his return flight from his vacation went through London, and that's all it is.

Yeah I think he'd be very happy at Milan. Strong academy, decently-funded, and in the search for a return to glory.

The rumors of him being in London are very interesting though. Of course, it's certainly possible his return flight from his vacation went through London, and that's all it is.

If he goes to Milan fine I can accept Levy taking Pochettino and I am sure many feel this way

If he goes to Milan fine I can accept Levy taking Pochettino and I am sure many feel this way

I do think de Boer would've chosen us given the opportunity (as crazy it would have been to say that even six or seven years ago). It's almost as if the Prem is feeding off the decline of Serie A, as it strengthens across the board while Italy's best take the scraps from La Liga and are desperately combing the Bundesliga's favored recruiting ground, Eastern Europe for the youthful potential.

I'm seeing this 'MOPO' trend starting to kick-off ....

tumblr_lxq1nlUKtY1qiukbq.gif

I do think de Boer would've chosen us given the opportunity (as crazy it would have been to say that even six or seven years ago). It's almost as if the Prem is feeding off the decline of Serie A, as it strengthens across the board while Italy's best take the scraps from La Liga and are desperately combing the Bundesliga's favored recruiting ground, Eastern Europe for the youthful potential.

Please don't start talking past tense already!! Milan as poisonous as we are at the moment I suppose and in a similar position, I just want some logic to things that's all, Levy owes us some that's for sure on the football decision side, lest we forget we got the striker 2 windows late, would have finished 3rd at a canter season before last...

Don't want to go there just saying would love some transparency and a thought process in the hiring

Please don't start talking past tense already!! Milan as poisonous as we are at the moment I suppose and in a similar position, I just want some logic to things that's all, Levy owes us some that's for sure on the football decision side, lest we forget we got the striker 2 windows late, would have finished 3rd at a canter season before last...

Don't want to go there just saying would love some transparency and a thought process in the hiring

We're run by an investment company, transparency is the antithesis and bane of their business. But I certainly don't blame you for wanting more than what we're given. And I agree, I'd love to hear some concrete rationale as to why Poch would have been chosen over de Boer per se.

I have reservations as I said in another thread a few days ago BUT I hope he turns us around. The Soton players speak very highly of him and I'm a massive fan of the 4-2-3-1 system which is what he plays.

Might even get Lallana or Shaw once he arrives too

How about we wait until he's lost a couple of games before we start slagging the poor cunt off? Maybe even just wait until he's got the job?

"Support" like this is why we are where we are.
There is a distinct difference between "slagging off", as you so crudely put it, and having reservations. I had reservations over Gross, Hoddle & Ramos. But I supported each, just as I will Poch, if he gets the job. Sherwood is the only man I have doubted from the start.

But, none of this means I have to pretend I am on the happy drugs just because a new man of the month has come into the frame.

Was it not de Boer who said something about Serie A being a league in decline and he was only interested in PL or Ajax?

It's in my head that he said something like that, not sure why

Was it not de Boer who said something about Serie A being a league in decline and he was only interested in PL or Ajax?

Hmm I believe that's true now that you mention it. No idea who he'd be going to in the Prem then if it's where he's headed (if he's even leaving Ajax).

He did say that, also something along the lines of Italian football being boring. This was a couple of weeks ago answering links to Inter. Basically he doesn't like Italian football.

Bit on SSN about Poch

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...to-make-mauricio-pochettino-their-new-manager

I literally don't care too much about success over longevity next, as long as we don't have a prat of a manager saying stupid things to the media then I am fully prepared for 5 years of one manager.

Fed up of all that false crap like "Levy changes managers every 6 months" and "Spurs are already interviewing for his replacement" blah blah blah...

Would prefer FDB for his style and connections to the players, Poch has a good relationship with his players and PL experience, it's win win if it's between the two.

Devil's advocate.

FdB, speaks English publicly, 4 years in management, Biggest team in a country yet handles it well and seems to be universally liked, 4 league titles, substantially more wins than losses, has made Ajax the most domestically consistent side in the Dutch league, has spoken publicly about wanting the job and wanting to turn us into a great team again.

Pochettino 5 years in management, no silverware at all, more losses than wins, isn't confident enough to speak English publicly, has managed 2 sides with no expectations beyond being "respectable," failed at Espanyol, good spell at Southampton but they often look knackered after an hour (see our comeback this season).

Personally I'll support him if he's brought in. Anyone we bring in will be a gamble, it's the nature of the game but de Boer is a far more calculated risk than Pochettino is.

I see where you're coming from. But for me, trophies aren't important when looking at countries like Holland/Belgium etc. I'm more interested in European performances and Ajax have been impressive in the CL.

Pochettino's lack of silverware and win to loss ratio is again not important to me when picking a manager. He's never managed a club that have been good enough for silverware and more importantly, he's managed in the top two leagues in the world. That is vital experience - something FDB won't have.

The lack of legs in the Southampton side can be blamed on the lack of squad depth. He'll have a far bigger squad to work with here (although you could argue that EL football might offset that advantage).

Finally, bringing in a relatively inexperienced manager into a top 5 league is always dangerous, especially in the Premier league. He'll be managing a big club and therefore will need to cope with the media, he will need to cope with a squad of egotistical players, he will need to cope with the pressure of facing the likes of City/Chelsea/Utd/Liverpool/Arse and most importantly, he'll need to be able to cope with Levy. Maybe FDB isn't ready for that. People rarely consider the individual past his achievements.

I rate De Boer highly and he could potentially be the next big manager that the likes of Madrid/Barca/Bayern are clamouring for in a few years time. But he isn't the safe bet. He still has a lot to learn about management and I don't think it's the time for us to take risks. One badly taken risk could leave us light years away from the top 5. Once we stabalise the club and get back on track with an experienced manager and a more stable squad, then we can take risks... but not now.

Undoubtedly there are a few managers that will give you undoubted success, all of which are currently employed by other teams and are probably out of our reach. I'd say after that 'guaranteed list' it's almost pot luck, Ramos, Gross, AVB, Jol etc all seemed like bloody good appointments at the time and all did relatively well in their immediate past, only to flop with us. I'm just happy to have someone who can bring some attractive football, work with our already flush squad (left back/striker aside) and not act like a plum in interviews. If Pochettino can implement here what he has done at Southampton I will be ecstatic :adethumbup:

Back
Top Bottom