Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he was a cowardly "yes man" I think he would have said "yes I will stay at Southampton" he had no pressure there and an easy excuse if it went tits up , they sold all their players. I think it took some balls for him to walk away from that cushy number at Southampton where he was loved and would have earned a lot of leeway to come and work for Levy under the blueprint that he has to work under and face the pressure that spurs managers face. whether he has a clause or not who knows ?
yup with our ridiculous record of sacking only a "brave (maniac)" would come here

There is no doubt that the team is underperforming.
Is it the players or the coach-who knows?

Although we are looking a little flat and disjointed, we may be seeing a different Spurs with a different purpose.
Maybe the transition to stop leaking silly goals has effected us going forward gun-ho. We do seem very reserved and cautious. We are looking better at the back and have kept two clean sheets. Once we get confidant that we can defend, maybe that confidence will transfer through the team and we will start getting the goals that are needed to win games.

We can only get better and its not all bad at the moment? Bring on palace and City and we will get a true marker of where we are.

What's the alternative seriously. We have a chairman who has put the club on an austerity program that would make Osbourne wince.

Our only hope is a manager who fully uses and develops youth players as we can at least afford them.

We get a new manager, he dislikes half the squad, puts it up for sale and we are back in total transition again and if he doesn't like youth players then we are looking at lots of bargain basement deals cos we are apparently piss broke. Soon we have Carlton Cole up front and Joey Barton in the middle.

These days even Swansea are a rich club compared to us in the market, Poch is the right man if you have such an austere stratagy.

Nobody makes Osborne wince!

He's the 'Prince of Darkness'!

:mad:

Or one who loves severance packages
Barack-Obama-Nods-Head-Listening-to-Zach-Galifianakis-Between-Two-Ferns.gif

Pochettino has my backing purely because he has the balls to promote academy players and give them key roles in the team and so far its just about worked for him , Not really that convinced by him but better the devil you know for me and I just hope he can mould and shape some of the fantastic potential he has at his disposal into a force to be reckoned with.

Seeing his cogs move so slowly is pretty depressing though. His grasp of individual players weaknesses is so bad it's almost comical. A player would have to have two seasons of abject failure for the penny to drop that something does not work.

The big one for me is he can't re watch games. No way did he watch our previous season under AVB. If he did he would never have put Chiriches anywhere near a back line. He used players in the same failed roles as AVB (Soldado, Townsend, Lennon, Eriksen, Dembele, Lamela, Holtby etc) then he's surprised they have form issues? He even used the same failed fucking 4-2-3-1 combination of failed wingers cutting in and AM's as DM's.

But he slooooowly gets there. The improvements are glacial but the penny is dropping. I do think he's the right man for the job but I resigned myself to another season of face palms while he figures out Eriksen, Lamela, Townsend and potentially Prichard, Son, Alli and Njie's skills are not set up for certain water carrying systems and need protection.

If he overloads the team with classy AM's, wingers and forwards against the top 4 sides again he will only have himself to blame if Lev sacks him.

He's a "yes man" brought in to do Levy's bidding and not cause any problems!

If he had anything about him at all he would have insisted on another striker and DM during the window.
He didn't so we haven't got cover in these vital positions and for him to say that he's 'happy' with the squad in this state says it all unfortunately!

:pochbye:

If it's so reasonable to have a zero net spend on transfer fees and cut the wage bill considerably over 5years because of the stadium (mainly), then why don't Levy and Poch be straight about it. The whole statement thing was such a load of crap, we know what we're doing, it all panned out good enough for how Poch wanted it to. Rubbish.

'We're scrimping due to a stadium build, that's obvious to our fans and I will not insult them by trying to pretend otherwise when the figures speak for themselves. Mauricio is the best coach in our opinion to make a solid but unspectacular unit out of what we have and can afford for the next few years. We tried to get another striker and CDM but, instead of knowing our level and accepting we needed some cover within our means rather than none, we've decided to not bother as why spend money on players we can claim to consider to be beneath us. Yes I know it's weird to class players beneath us if they're the only ones we can afford and when our alternatives are very inexperienced or makeshift at best but, if we accepted our level we'd have to spend that money so better to play the game chasing a £25m target at the last minute to see the window shut and scream how we tried and the other chairman was awkward excuse. Good luck kids and please be assured we will keep the cortisone flowing for Harry and Eric Dier, no expense will be spared there; it will be administered at the best medical and training facilities in Europe.'

Rgds,

Are there all that many teams in the Premiership who play good football?

I would say Man City are the stand out currently.

You have a point, when we had Modric, Bale etc under Redknapp we were miles more entertaining than anything at the moment. Even Liverpool with Sturridge/Suarez looked exceptional compared to everyone bar City right now.

Is very disappointing TBH.

I could pick any game on the list and I will be find it more entertaining than the vast majority of ours.

I look at teams like Norwich and West Ham and think "I wish we could attack like that".

Says it all really.

Palace is going to be a massive test on sunday...they are lightening quick on the counter and it's going to be interesting to see how poch is gonna go about this.

He will probably just start the same team that finished at Sunderland, with little to no consideration of the new opposition.

These days even Swansea are a rich club compared to us in the market, Poch is the right man if you have such an austere stratagy.

Not so sure. He´s a manager who will not use anyone he doesnt want.
So as opposed to getting the most out of the squad, he basically pissed away the Stambouli and Fazio money by not using them. Same with Yedlin. Players signed specifically for him.

Then there were the others who just sat at home taking a wage while the first team died on its feet.

Where is Njie, Trippier and Wimmer?

Not so sure. He´s a manager who will not use anyone he doesnt want.
So as opposed to getting the most out of the squad, he basically pissed away the Stambouli and Fazio money by not using them. Same with Yedlin. Players signed specifically for him.

Then there were the others who just sat at home taking a wage while the first team died on its feet.

Where is Njie, Trippier and Wimmer?
N'Jie is injured as has been stated numerous times in the past. Trippier and Wimmer are squad players who will probably be playing tomorrow.

N'Jie is injured as has been stated numerous times in the past.

Its been stated by people on here, but not by the club. The last thing that was officially said was:

“He was in France for his work permit and maybe next week he will be available,” Pochettino explained. “First, he needs to train more with the group.”

And:

“He was injured in pre-season with Lyon and his fitness levels are not yet there.”

That was nearly 4 weeks ago. He is not injured, its Poch thinking that everyone has to be Usain Bolt before they can be in the squad. Ironic when we move forward like slugs.

Its been stated by people on here, but not by the club. The last thing that was officially said was:

“He was in France for his work permit and maybe next week he will be available,” Pochettino explained. “First, he needs to train more with the group.”

And:

“He was injured in pre-season with Lyon and his fitness levels are not yet there.”

That was nearly 4 weeks ago. He is not injured, its Poch thinking that everyone has to be Usain Bolt before they can be in the squad. Ironic when we move forward like slugs.
Wasn't Son in the squad three days ago?

We've created the 5th most chances in the Premier League this season behind Scum, City, Southampton, and Swansea yet we've only scored 4 goals.

Yeah, blame the manager.

There is no doubt that the team is underperforming.
Is it the players or the coach-who knows?

Although we are looking a little flat and disjointed, we may be seeing a different Spurs with a different purpose.
Maybe the transition to stop leaking silly goals has effected us going forward gun-ho. We do seem very reserved and cautious. We are looking better at the back and have kept two clean sheets. Once we get confidant that we can defend, maybe that confidence will transfer through the team and we will start getting the goals that are needed to win games.

We can only get better and its not all bad at the moment? Bring on palace and City and we will get a true marker of where we are.
Yeah, I think we've really shored up the defence and the attack will hopefully come

Wasn't Son in the squad three days ago?

Talking about Njie and Pochs habit of sidelining players he doesnt want. Im hoping this isnt a case of Njie being a Levy signing and Poch making (another) point.

My main confusion is how someone can be deemed as "maybe ready to play next week", but has still not seen the bench three weeks later.

We've created the 5th most chances in the Premier League this season behind Scum, City, Southampton, and Swansea yet we've only scored 4 goals.

Yeah, blame the manager.

I thought he had a squad brimming with all his choices now and had weeded out the deadwood and bad seeds?
Wasnt it Poch that said its fine because Chadli and Lamela can play striker and he´s happy with the squad?

We didnt sign a striker, and its not seen as an issue by the club.

So numerous wasted chances in front of goal are indeed the fault of the manager, and the chairman.

I thought he had a squad brimming with all his choices now and had weeded out the deadwood and bad seeds?
Wasnt it Poch that said its fine because Chadli and Lamela can play striker and he´s happy with the squad?

We didnt sign a striker, and its not seen as an issue by the club.

So numerous wasted chances in front of goal are indeed the fault of the manager, and the chairman.

Not Harry Kane who has Soldado'd a few chances this season?

Talking about Njie and Pochs habit of sidelining players he doesnt want. Im hoping this isnt a case of Njie being a Levy signing and Poch making (another) point.

My main confusion is how someone can be deemed as "maybe ready to play next week", but has still not seen the bench three weeks later.
N'Jie wasn't a guaranteed starter at Lyon, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a signing for the future, and that we'll see him only once in a while. He came with a reputation of being talented but still raw.

Back
Top Bottom