Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They're upset because he's our most successful coach of the modern era, and the fact he's ended up at Chelsea makes it feel worse .. not sure why that sentiment is hard to understand. It doesn't translate to 'we should have gone for Poch purely because he's off to Chelsea'.

History shows clubs will get 'new manager bounce' No it isn't. It doesn't always work out but more often than not, a new coach will give you a bounce. There is statistical truth behind this claim.

Cool .. we still had a whole bunch of losses and were not on course for top 4. Conte didn't sack himself, he spoke out about some of the cowardly, shit players that infest this club, and called out the disgrace that is the club ownership, and that's not allowed. Good for him. Boring coach but at least he's honest.

Conte could see the collapse coming round the corner. It's likely why he had a meltdown in the press, he knew our top 4 hopes were dissappearing and he got ahead of the curve. I doubt it would've been much different at all if he had stayed.
That's based on the first FIVE games!! It's bogus beyond that, it even says this in that piece!!! That new manager bounce that Gerrard bought to Villa. We could be here all night because beyond this there is also context surrounding whether the manager is bought in with a long-term view and is allowed time to change something whilst not getting results i.e Arteta or even Poch when he first was with us. There is way too much nuance and context that is different for every club.

Fucking Hell!!! Conte literally made his position untenable, if you don't think this is the case then there is literally no point going beyond this. The entire football community reported it as such. What Conte did was one of the most cowardly things I've ever seen. He was paid £15m pounds a season not to point out the issues but to FIX them!!! This was literally his job and he failed miserably at it. We are where we are now BECAUSE of Conte.

I find it quite repulsive that you are defending this cunt, who had us play like cunts all season. If only he could have players like Longstaff, Burn, Willock and Joelinton at Spurs maybe Conte could have us pushing for a title.

Last edited:
He wasn’t wrong though in what he said, arguably wrong to say it, perhaps saving his own rep and distancing himself from our shitshow. The message can be correct even if the messenger has selfish motives.
But it was his shitshow! He was the manager, he was paid £15m to fix the issues not point them out.

Yes but he didn't turn up at Daniel's (COYS) house with a big neon sign saying 'HIRE ME' so can we really be sure he wanted the job?
And though that poster is a complete shittalker, this bad faith suggestion evinces such an ignorance/naivete about interpersonal and work dynamics. Levy screwed Poch in the rebuild and fired him as a result of the predicatable decline in performance; DL thought everything was great and the fault was with Poch...fault that could so easily be rectified by getting a good/real manager...a "WINNER" as so many on this board would be sheepish to remind us ATM.

For Poch to come crawling back would be to accept DL's terms as he would be begging from a position of weakness when we all know that it is DL and Spurs that are weak ATM. I am so fucking glad he didn't do this and is further placing DL's nutsack on the chopping block. I bet that even in DL's wildest dreams/nightmares he didn't fathom Poch going to Chelsea jsut like he thinks he's got HK by the balls as well. I LOVE THIS MOVE...for Poch and the long term benefit for Spurs.

And on the personal side I'm going to love following the sentiments of some posters on this board in the coming months...they know who they are. Man, hopefully they don't go on an editing spree.

No.

But he could have called and said "Hey, I saw that you have a vacancy. Could I get a interview?".

Like you do if you want a job.

There's been zero reporting about Poch reaching out to the club about the manager role. Just about how players would like him to come back. He has obviously posted all the teases on social media. But that seems right now to just have been to keep himself out in the public eye because he knows that we as fans eat it up.

If Poch really wanted to come back right now he could have called the club and talked to people. But there has been zero reports about actual contact between the club and Poch from either party.
He literally lives 10-minute walk from Levy's house!!!!

Exactly, and as I've mentioned previously, not just one of the most loved, but also one who talked a big game about loyalty and therefore not being willing to join the biggest rivals of the clubs closest to his heart.
Loyalty is a two-way street...we showed NONE to him...he owes us nothing...you're an adult so you should be able to get here without too much difficulty.

But it was his shitshow! He was the manager, he was paid £15m to fix the issues not point them out.

Partly yes but the shitshow has been around for longer than him. Conte is an elite manager but is used to working with the best, we need a builder not a finisher which is what he is.

We have manager after manager failing at our club which many of the players survive. We have become like a cheaper PSG. Until the manager and DoF not the players and not the chairman run the football we are doomed to go round in circles.

We are not a club set up to support a manager, not Poch, not Jose, not Conte and not Ryan Mason. Until players can be quickly moved on, until a DoF with a clear vision runs the club and has the power like other top sides we will keep making mistakes.

That 6-1 trashing which could have been 10 was coming, the clubs years of mistakes have led up to this crisis moment and it’s far bigger than Conte or Poch.

Partly yes but the shitshow has been around for longer than him. Conte is an elite manager but is used to working with the best, we need a builder not a finisher which is what he is.

We have manager after manager failing at our club which many of the players survive. We have become like a cheaper PSG. Until the manager and DoF not the players and not the chairman run the football we are doomed to go round in circles.

We are not a club set up to support a manager, not Poch, not Jose, not Conte and not Ryan Mason. Until players can be quickly moved on, until a DoF with a clear vision runs the club and has the power like other top sides we will keep making mistakes.

That 6-1 trashing which could have been 10 was coming, the clubs years of mistakes have led up to this crisis moment and it’s far bigger than Conte or Poch.
Was it a shitshow post-Burnley last year?

We need a manager that actually wants to be here. That has the tactical flexibility to play more than just one warn-out way that literally my 6yr old grandson can predict the line-up and how we will play.

We need a positive manager, one that no matter the challenges doesn't make it feel like he's doing us a favour.

We need a manager that wants to play with the ball.

100% DoF needs to be addressed and needs a long-term strategy that links a singular joined-up philosophy of playing. Is it any wonder our academy doesn't play 3ATB?

I can't absolve Conte in any way he's as bigger coward as Fraudberg. In fact I was thinking about the so called 'club signings' and there actually the only ones I have any hope in for our future let's stay out of tge championship campaigns. Thank god we didn't get lumbered with anymore of his clowns like Persic.

Maybe, who really knows but the vibe between both parties is the same, now 100% isn't the time and this has been the case for at least 2 years.
Seems to me that the right time for many appears to be once somebody has come along and cleared up the mess that began to unravel in the dying days of Poch's initial watch, turned us into title contenders, and is willing to gracefully step aside at the last moment for Poch to heroically leather a tap in into the top corner...

Which makes me wonder, just how much do these people actually rate Poch's ability as a coach???

Obviously I have a soft spot for Poch, but I hope he royally falls on his arse should he accept the job with those bastards.
I thought this might be the straw that broke the camels back and allowed the fanbase to finally move on, but it seems that we will be stuck with a number of melts fawning over him and gushing about how happy they are for him if Chelsea were ever to win the league under his management...

:pochshock:

Seems to me that the right time for many appears to be once somebody has come along and cleared up the mess that began to unravel in the dying days of Poch's initial watch, turned us into title contenders, and is willing to gracefully step aside at the last moment for Poch to heroically leather a tap in into the top corner...

Which makes me wonder, just how much do these people actually rate Poch's ability as a coach???
This is fair harsh but fair...it does however leave out the toxic encumbrance that was Lex Levy.

People have such short memories, the end of Poch's tenure was absolute dross week in week out.

Maybe not as bad as it is now, but real bad.

I treasure the memories he gave us but he isn't the answer. This is all just nostalgia and first love stuff.

People have such short memories, the end of Poch's tenure was absolute dross week in week out.

Maybe not as bad as it is now, but real bad.

I treasure the memories he gave us but he isn't the answer. This is all just nostalgia and first love stuff.

Squad wasn’t capable of playing his way, Walker was gone, Dembele and Waynama sadly had body issues leaving us with a team that was burnt out having Winks as the star midfielder. We needed a rebuild like Klopp is getting at Pool.

Club needs to decide, how do we want to play, then set up the scouting and DoF around that and move players in and out each season to keep it fresh. You know operate like a top club.

Loyalty is a two-way street...we showed NONE to him...he owes us nothing...you're an adult so you should be able to get here without too much difficulty.

It very much is not a two-way street. Neither from a philosophical perspective or from a very base level thought of two wrongs don't make a right.

The man has moral principles or he doesn't. What we as a club did or didn't do to him has no role in that. I was - pre PSG - convinced, he did so, and still held high hopes for it until this BS. You and anyone else are free to think that was naive of me; to think there's any loyalty in football. In a world with that much money and prestige at stake. All the same, I did.

In this modern version of game at the very top with all its greed, corruption and disloyalty, I needed Poch to be true those words about loyalty. If it turns out to not be the case, then yes I'm on the brink of thinking what the point of this thing. And as for your snide "adult" remark, this is exactly because I'm an adult, who fell in love with Spurs as a young kid, but fell in love with philosophy as an adult, and I'm increasingly not sure the two are compatible, and thus this might be the final straw.

Last edited:
This is fair harsh but fair...it does however leave out the toxic encumbrance that was Lex Levy.
People have a hard time accepting there are instances, many in fact, where all involved are cunts...

It always has to be Levy's fault, no it's the manager's fault, no it's the players fault, no it's Paratici's fault...

No, they all fucked up in one way or another, more than once.

Poch's a decent manager, his time here overall was very good, but it wasn't great at the start, he was clinging on by the skin of his teeth until Harry Kane skanked in a deflected freekick in stoppage time at Villa Park, and we all know how it ended...

Was he the only manager in world football who could have done the job he did? I don't think so, look at the job Emery (a competent manager) is doing at Villa (an average squad), there are plenty of competent managers who can get a team to function as more than the sum of it's parts, and Poch had some tremendous parts to play with first time round. His accomplishments here are just exacerbated in relation to the absolutely batshit mental appointments we have continued to make over ENICs tenure.

I have no particular vendetta against Poch, but it constantly frustrated the shit out of me the way week after week he would fail to dismiss tabloid speculation about the Man Utd job or the Real Madrid job. Some how his Saint Poch image persevered, then he went to one of the evil oil clubs, still Saint Poch, and now Chelsea and still it's Saint Poch, he's got to work you know, what other choice did he have???

It's beyond tiresome.

It very much is not a two-way street. Neither from a philosophical perspective or from a very base level thought of two wrongs don't make a right.

The man has moral principles or he doesn't. What we as a club did or didn't do to him has no role in that. I was - pre PSG - convinced, he did so, and still held high hopes for it until this BS. You and anyone else are free to think that was naive of me; to think there's any loyalty in football. In a world with that much money and prestige at stake. All the same, I did.

In this modern version of game at the very top with all its greed, corruption and disloyalty, I needed Poch to be true those words about loyalty. If it turns out to not be the case, then yes I'm on the brink of thinking what the point of this thing. And as for your snide "adult" remark, this is exactly because I'm an adult, who fell in love with Spurs as a young kid, but fell in love with philosophy as an adult, and I'm increasingly not sure the two are compatible, and thus this might be the final straw.
Are you loyal to those that are disloyal to you? Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 words to answer that.

Back
Top Bottom