Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love the notion that the Barcelona wouldn’t have become the dominant force without Pep.

You should, because the wouldn't have. It was Pep who set the blueprint for what Barcelona still is today (well, under the overall umbrella of Cruyff's philosophy that is). That's why, since Pep left, they have NOT been the dominant force that you would expect.

Let's go for another history lesson, to improve your football education: After 2006, Barcelona became average again, for the reasons I already gave you. In fact, they were on the verge of hiring Jose Mourinho himself to try and fix it, until Laporta persuaded the board that Guardiola was the way to go. Do you think Jose Mourinho would have funneled Barca's youth ranks into the fiurst team? Do you think Jose would have favored Busquets, or bought Villa, Pique and Dani Alves?

No, Jose Mourinho would have built a Jose Mourinho team, which probably would have won a trophy or two, and then as usual he would move on. None of the infrastructure that Guardiola emphasized, nor the regimentation of 4-3-3 throughout all levels of youth teams would have takn place. Messi would likely not have become a false 9, since Eto'o and Ronaldinho would have stayed, and Iniesta probably would have been swapped out for someone more in the mold of Essien. The famous tiki-taka style would not have conquered world football, and Barcelona would be just a big club in Spain who occasionally have a great year in Europe.

Just like they've been since Pep departed.

You don't get it. Guardiola did a lot more than simply get lucky with his squad. He's the reason why we look at that squad with such admiration in the first place.

As for the CL - you are clearly just showing your ignorance again. You’ve convinced yourself that way we become an elite club

We did. You know what does that? Beating Real Madrid comfortably at home. Brushing aside Dortmund with relative ease. That's what does that, but predictably you're trying to make it all about the revenues, when I merely included it as another component. And I'm right, too. Maybe you didn't realize just how MUCH money we got from the CL runs. What do you think that did to our wage bill, hmm?

Again you just don't really understand how modern football works.

when the revenues generated from that can never result in such a thing.

LOL

But you keep on kidding yourself that we need CL footbal to keep our best players

Why do you say this, when literally all of our best players who did leave, went to CL teams? Even Eriksen wanted to go for that reason. You're living in a fantasy world where player loyalties are to the shirt like they used to be.

As for Simeone - well no they didn’t sack him probably because he won them multiple trophies

You mean, one league title and a Copa del Rey, and NOTHING since except a Europa League 5 years later that no-one cares about. You know why they keep him there? because he comes 2nd or 3rd every year, and helps keep the club afloat despite their crippling debt.

That's because Atletico Madrid understand football better than you do.

You are like the Donald Trump of the Spurs forums

This is like the 5th time you've tried this crap, you pathetic little twat. All you can do is lie and then run away from the facts when you are s;lapped around the face with them. You're nothing more than an internet blowhard who can't handle an adult conversation.

Go whine some more about the cenotaph 'arson', you sad little excuse for a man

Last edited:
They weren't in 2010, you ignorant twat.

Yeah, just like how if Poch worked at PSG and then went to United he would have the same trajectory.

Go lie down before you have a stroke trying to work out the maths

You might want to check Deloitte Money league - I think you will find they were Trumpy.

Dortmund to Liverpool is the same as PSG to United . Chuckles.

You might want to check Deloitte Money league

Why? It just confirms what I said. You might want to check the following:

Tottenham Hotspur Posts Record Operating Profit Thanks To Champions League Run

Oh, and also do let me know when you have even the slightest response to all this:

You should, because the wouldn't have. It was Pep who set the blueprint for what Barcelona still is today (well, under the overall umbrella of Cruyff's philosophy that is). That's why, since Pep left, they have NOT been the dominant force that you would expect.

Let's go for another history lesson, to improve your football education: After 2006, Barcelona became average again, for the reasons I already gave you. In fact, they were on the verge of hiring Jose Mourinho himself to try and fix it, until Laporta persuaded the board that Guardiola was the way to go. Do you think Jose Mourinho would have funneled Barca's youth ranks into the fiurst team? Do you think Jose would have favored Busquets, or bought Villa, Pique and Dani Alves?

No, Jose Mourinho would have built a Jose Mourinho team, which probably would have won a trophy or two, and then as usual he would move on. None of the infrastructure that Guardiola emphasized, nor the regimentation of 4-3-3 throughout all levels of youth teams would have takn place. Messi would likely not have become a false 9, since Eto'o and Ronaldinho would have stayed, and Iniesta probably would have been swapped out for someone more in the mold of Essien. The famous tiki-taka style would not have conquered world football, and Barcelona would be just a big club in Spain who occasionally have a great year in Europe.

Just like they've been since Pep departed.

You don't get it. Guardiola did a lot more than simply get lucky with his squad. He's the reason why we look at that squad with such admiration in the first place.

We did. You know what does that? Beating Real Madrid comfortably at home. Brushing aside Dortmund with relative ease. That's what does that, but predictably you're trying to make it all about the revenues, when I merely included it as another component. And I'm right, too. Maybe you didn't realize just how MUCH money we got from the CL runs. What do you think that did to our wage bill, hmm?

Again you just don't really understand how modern football works.

Why do you say this, when literally all of our best players who did leave, went to CL teams? Even Eriksen wanted to go for that reason. You're living in a fantasy world where player loyalties are to the shirt like they used to be.

You mean, one league title and a Copa del Rey, and NOTHING since except a Europa League 5 years later that no-one cares about. You know why they keep him there? because he comes 2nd or 3rd every year, and helps keep the club afloat despite their crippling debt.

That's because Atletico Madrid understand football better than you do.

That's what happens when you get spammed by a barrage of nonsense. Also, you just know that if I'd left any 'point' unanswered, he'd simply ignore everything else which was said and focus on that one thing.

It's just standard internet practice among those who can't handle an actual debate.

I fully agree that you can't just ignore long responses but rather than create seven responses in one post why not do one response to each point in seven seperate posts - maybe it's as broad as it is long

The problem with a debate that has a 10 minute one sided diatribe is people lose interest - that's why good debates have limited response times ... but each to their own

Why? It just confirms what I said. You might want to check the following:

Tottenham Hotspur Posts Record Operating Profit Thanks To Champions League Run

Oh, and also do let me know when you have even the slightest response to all this:

so the solution is to get to the champions final every years - genius! Email Levy quickly!

You do know that we averaged £50 million for previous campaigns right? And that in order to generate revenue in it you have to win games - you don’t just get the revenue for qualifying?

But I’m sure such revenue will turn us into an elite - just imagine the players we can buy for £50 million!

so the solution is to get to the champions final every years - genius! Email Levy quickly!

Why? He already got the memo, which is why he has his coaches prioritize staying in the Top 4. You're now reduced to literally trying to mock the very thing which has allowed our wage bill to blossom.

You do know that we averaged £50 million for previous campaigns right? And that in order to generate revenue in it you have to win games - you don’t just get the revenue for qualifying?

You qualify by winning league games, and you win CL games by prioritizing fixtures. Are you okay, there? Do you need a hand working out how to get in and out of the bath?

But I’m sure such revenue will turn us into an elite - just imagine the players we can buy for £50 million!

Or, the players we can actually PAY a wage that will keep them here.

We're so fortunate that the club isn't run by people like you.

more lies - I’m out, time to stop feeding the troll. I’ll take my victory and make my way

You heard it here first folks. Forbes magazine is LYING.

Clearly it's fake news, and a conspiracy to make The Hood look like an absolute bellend.

Run along and don't come back until you can admit you were wrong about the Southampton situation, you're wrong about Poch's Barcelona comments, you're wrong about Pep's effect upon Barcelona, you're wrong about club finances, and most of all that you're wrong in thinking that you have the slightest idea how football works beyond chugging a few bevvies and belching your way through a tirade about how the players don't even run abaht a bit anymore.

I'll be waiting when you want another spanking.

I don't agree that he left Spurs as a failure at all, and that's what rankles in my mind.

I don't deny his inexperience in the ways you mention, but at the end of the day, he was hired to do a job: that job was to elevate our platform and ambitions by securing us as a fixture in the Top 4, and enabling us to build even further for the future. That's the 'project' he kept talking about, and the same one, ultimately, that had been handed to AVB.

And, he succeeded. We did become a Top 4 fixture, and apparently slightly ahead of expectations. In fact, all the signs are that he overachieved for us in terms of what Levy had expected. That's why, despite Poch taking us to 3rd and 2nd etc, Levy still didn't fully splash the cash except in very calculated ways, and that dried up as the stadium build was completed. We weren't ready yet financially to keep up.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a Levy Out screed, far from it. I think the bald one has done, and continues to do a great job. But, that to me is the great source of tension which led to the ultimate collapse of the Poch team. He wanted more, Levy told him there was no more to give, and when we lost the CL final, something broke in Poch and was never the same again.

But that's not a 'failure', and it wasn't a miracle which got us to the CL final. Along the way we brushed aside Dortmund, beat Madrid the year before, fended off City at the absolute height of their powers, and managed to conquer an Ajax side who had set the continent on fire by smashing their way through the established heavyweights. We deserved to be in that final, even though our league form had suffered hugely to get us there.

Just because Poch lost that match, or just because he didn't win that League Cup final against Mourinho's Chelsea, or even just because he didn't manage to beat Leicester (when no-one else could either) doesn't make him a failure to me. He succeeded at what he was asked to do, and sadly because of the way it all went down, never got to reap what he had sown in terms of continuing the 'project' further.

Now it's Jose's turn, but that doesn't erase how grateful I feel for what Poch did for us.

Maybe "failure" is harsh but you don't get sacked for being a success

Over his tenure Pochettino was one of the most successful managers we've ever had, all that he was missing was a trophy, and he came very close. That said in the end the wheels fell off when he could no longer motivate the same group of players with the same approach. Very few managers can do that it's why managers in all walks of life move regularly, it takes an exceptional manager to keep doing it year after year, Ferguson did it by constantly buying new 'diamonds' to add to his crown, Wenger did it by creating his own unique philosophy (in the end that failed) arguably both stayed just a bit to long and left collapsing empires behind them

Poch left at probably the right time for him and for us, he left an exceptional squad just waiting to be given new direction - perfect for a short-term fix manager like Mourinho - that's credit to Poch and credit to DL for making the tough call.

It's a shame Poch didn't jump straight back into management, now when he does the pressure of expectation will be massive - he was magnificent for us and I wish him well (not in the EPL) but as yet he hasn't proven himself at the very, very top ... in a cynical world that will require he wins something, maybe a stint at PSG just to fill the trophy cabinet is what he needs.

Maybe "failure" is harsh but you don't get sacked for being a success

True, but I think we can sum that up into the last 6 months or so of his tenure.

Over his tenure Pochettino was one of the most successful managers we've ever had, all that he was missing was a trophy, and he came very close. That said in the end the wheels fell off when he could no longer motivate the same group of players with the same approach. Very few managers can do that it's why managers in all walks of life move regularly, it takes an exceptional manager to keep doing it year after year, Ferguson did it by constantly buying new 'diamonds' to add to his crown, Wenger did it by creating his own unique philosophy (in the end that failed) arguably both stayed just a bit to long and left collapsing empires behind them

Poch left at probably the right time for him and for us, he left an exceptional squad just waiting to be given new direction - perfect for a short-term fix manager like Mourinho - that's credit to Poch and credit to DL for making the tough call.

I do agree with that. I don't bemoan that change anymore, and I'm fully behind Mou.

It's a shame Poch didn't jump straight back into management, now when he does the pressure of expectation will be massive - he was magnificent for us and I wish him well (not in the EPL) but as yet he hasn't proven himself at the very, very top ... in a cynical world that will require he wins something, maybe a stint at PSG just to fill the trophy cabinet is what he needs.

If that's what happens, I'd raise a toast to him. I have a feeling if he ever does come back to us in an oppo dugout, his reception will be at least a fond one.

Summer 2015 Poch and his team showed a team of coaches around the training ground and gave an hour of their time to chat football. This fool had booked a holiday that fortnight.

Literally the day after Man City away in the CL the back room team gave a talk at a night we put on. Stayed till late and chatted to anyone who wanted to. Amazing really. How often would you get a chance to dissect a match with someone like Jesus Perez within 24hours?

Have so much time for these guys. Made me love Spurs in a way I hadn’t for years and make no mistake they love the club as well.

Winning something at the club would have meant the world to them. I think it was just burn out after that CL run. And footballers generally need change.

Shame people want to hate on them but that’s life. End of the day this is just words on a page.

I’d rather be positive. I got a personally signed book that takes pride of place on a shelf and a bottle of Malbec from the man that I drank with my dad while watching Spurs and a shed load of great memories of that team. Life moves on. I’m backing Jose to win something but I’m not disrespecting how we arrived here.

Whats there to argue about? We reached heights with Poch that we hadnt reached since a long time. Two 2nds and 3rd in the Premier League are our highest finishes since 60 years and a CL final is much further than weve ever reached in our history.

In the end, he ran out of ideas and was duly sacked deservedly.

Its not like weve set the world on fire yet with Jose. I hope and think Jose will take us further,. He is a level above Poch. But he hasnt won us the league yet or won the CL yet. So lets take it easy on one of our best managers weve ever had.

Whats there to argue about? We reached heights with Poch that we hadnt reached since a long time. Two 2nds and 3rd in the Premier League are our highest finishes since 60 years and a CL final is much further than weve ever reached in our history.

In the end, he ran out of ideas and was duly sacked deservedly.

Its not like weve set the world on fire yet with Jose. I hope and think Jose will take us further,. He is a level above Poch. But he hasnt won us the league yet or won the CL yet. So lets take it easy on one of our best managers weve ever had.
You’re doing this wrong. You need to write a 10,000 word essay on why Poch was either utter shite or a genius (no grey areas please) whilst splitting up every post you quote into single lines to annoy the fuck out of everyone.

Sort yourself out.

You’re doing this wrong. You need to write a 10,000 word essay on why Poch was either utter shite or a genius (no grey areas please) whilst splitting up every post you quote into single lines to annoy the fuck out of everyone.

Sort yourself out.
I wouldnt know how to write 10000 words on this topic.

But I'll add that its stupid to call him a failure. If success is just the trophies weve won, then weve not had a successful manager since Ramos. Ramos was successful but Jol, Redknapp and Poch were failures. :mourloopy:

Back
Top Bottom